Saturday, January 30, 2016

Spring Dreams January 12 Tags Of 2016

Happy Saturday everyone, I'm popping in today to post my version of Tim Holtz's January 12 Tags of 2016.  If you haven't seen Tim's tag and tutorial, click here to take a peek; I am so happy that he decided to continue this wonderful monthly challenge and love that the theme this year is 'technique remix'.  This month's tag is a remix of Chalkboard from November 2013 and Industrious Metal from January 2014.

I am going to give you fair warning and tell you that my tag looks NOTHING like Tim's tag, I went more than a little 'off piste' with my colours and theme and also I did not have any embossing powder that would give me the chalkboard effect that Tim demonstrated, so had to use some white embossing powder instead.


I was strongly influenced by the wonderful snow melty, sun shiney, bird singy false Spring day we enjoyed here a few days ago :O)  Reality has of course set back in (it is January in Canada after all!) but a girl can dream, right?

I used a piece of teal green cardstock for the Chalkboard background of my stamped posies and butterfly ('Meadow' clear stamp set by Inkadinkado).


As I said, I ended up having to emboss it with white detail embossing powder but then added scribbles and smudges of chalk to try and simulate the chalkboard effect (not very well, but I tried!).  I stamped the large flower head and butterfly twice and mounted them on pop dots and added some alcohol ink coloured brads on all four corners.

I used Tim's Checkerboard embossing folder for the Industrious Metal portion of my tag and since I don't have any foil tape, I just glued some tin foil to my tag with Glue n' Seal and embossed it.


It was coloured with multiple layers of DecoArt Americana Teal Green acrylic paint and Walnut Stain Distress paint until I got the look I wanted.  I coloured a bird nest charm from my stash with some Old Paper Distress paint and added it to the ribbon with a rusty safety pin from my stash.

I added a word band to the bottom of the tag and considering that I am making a Spring themed tag in January ... in Canada .... I think this says it all!


'Reality has limits, imagination is boundless', love that!  I attached the word band with a pieceof green and cream cording from my stash after highlighting the lettering with some Old Paper Distress paint.

So that's my take on Tim's January 12 Tags of 2016.


I'm really looking forward to working on Tim's tags again this year and thank him so much for his continuing inspiration and for sharing his expertise so freely.  I hope that you'll come and join in the fun, who knows where it will take you!  Have a wonderful weekend everyone and hope to see you again tomorrow when I will have a Destination Inspiration post to share with you for A Vintage Journey.  Until then, happy creating!

Deb xo

17 comments:

  1. I love your take on Tim's tag. It DOES like very chalkboardy! I think I love the rusty pin holding the charm the very best of all, but it's hard to choose. It all works so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb, I love, love this tag. Your work truly amazes me. hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you went off piste Deb. It's beautiful! Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, my fav so far!! Love this version Debs! I love your bright blue for the chalkboard piece, and the stamps choices work so well for the more spring-ish take on the original. Well done, love love love!! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great mix of colors! Wonderful quote too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous take Deb, just love the colours and the white flowers. Spring? Yep I saw Camellias and trees full of blossom on my travels on Friday - so Spring must be on its way here.
    happy Sunday.
    hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Deb! it may look nothing like tims but it is still totally amazing! I love the tin foil and the colours you have used, and it works really beautifully! Its great1 cxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant, Deb!! I love your creativity here - superb take on Tim!! xx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done you for going 'off piste' because your version is fab-u-lous! I love the blue and the gorgeous white embossing, it looks wonderful Deb - and the sentiment is perfect! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Deb. This tag is so sweet! I love the grungy metallic checkerboard embossed background. That looks so pretty against that gorgeous DecoArt teal and white foreground. Love your flowers and butterfly. Reminds me that spring will come ... eventually. :) I also love the little birds' nest and word band embellishments. Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another gorgeous tag, love it. Brilliant colour scheme. Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow... You really thought outside the box,with the colors and media you used. Beautiful results!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your version of Tim's tag is wonderful! Debs and bravo you for going 'left field' - its certainly paid off . x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I got a kick out of the snow melty, sun shiney, bird singy false Spring day. We had one of those yesterday and hopefully again today. I won't mind if reality takes a while to set back in...lol
    Your tag may not look anything like Tim's but it's pretty amazing looking right down to the last detail.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Definitely my favourite take on Tim's January inspiration... colours, image choices - the whole thing is right up my street - I absolutely love it! Looks like I'm sitting this year out, since I'm going to be away from my craft stash for at least half the tags, and I just couldn't get excited about the January tag until seeing this!!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a pretty rendition! Biggest congrats on being featured on the Sizzix IG! Coolness!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Makes me think of Spring and how I wish it were warm. Fantabulous take on the Jan tag and the blue makes the background pop! Isn't foil fun? Hehe! Awesome sauce design Debs! Hugz! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo