Saturday, January 9, 2016

Wish You Were Here

Hello everyone, hope you have had a great week and that your year is off to a wonderful start.  I've been living vicariously this week through everyone's Instagram feeds and blog posts, watching the excitement unfold as CHA 2016 (the Craft and Hobby Association convention in California) gets underway and so my blog post title should actually read 'Wish I Was There!'.  It's an exciting time of year as all the new products are introduced and I can honestly say I haven't seen a darn thing yet that I don't desperately need LOL!

 My desire to be traveling down to California to CHA and the current 'Vintage Travel and Luggage' challenge over at A Vintage Journey were the inspirations behind my latest make.  I was also inspired by the 'Something New' challenge over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge blog and so I combined some new Tim Holtz goodies that I gifted to myself as well as some old tried and true favourites of Tim's and came up with this travel themed plaque.


I found Tim's Emporium Ephemera Pack, his Souvenir Adornments charms and some Wishbones on sale at Michaels last week so snapped them up and included all of them on my travel plaque.  I had an idea to try and make my background look like worn, vintage leather so tried a new technique and I think it worked like a charm!  I coloured some manila cardstock with Old Paper Distress stain and then stenciled Tim's Crocodile layering stencil overtop in Brushed Corduroy DI.  I then spritzed the back of the cardstock with water to dampen it and scrunched it up into a ball to add lots of wrinkles.


After smoothing it out with my hand, I added some more Brushed Corduroy DI to emphasize the wrinkles and then added a coat of Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paint and highlighted the cracks when it was dry with yet more Brushed Corduroy.  I am really pleased with the finished product and will be doing this again, it really looks like old, cracked leather in real life.

This vintage picture, from Tim's Emporium Ephemera Pack, was the catalyst behind my design.


I think it is probably a picture taken at a World's Fair or perhaps a seaside boardwalk but the shape of the tower in the background reminded me of the Eiffel Tower, so off to Paris I flew!  I altered the picture by distressing the edges with my Tonic Distressor, tore and dog eared the edges and then aged it with some Vintage Photo DI before mounting it on some pop dots.   A well worn picture of loved ones kept in our traveler's wallet perhaps?

I added the compass charm from the Souvenir Adornments pack and attached it to a little tag cut with the Tiny Tabs and Tags die that had an ephemera label from the Emporium pack adhered to it.  I coloured the compass charm with some Butterscotch and Copper Mixative alcohol inks.


The plane is also from the Emporium pack and I coloured a Mirrored Star with some Stonewash alcohol ink to echo the blue on the elements on the bottom half of the plaque.

The globe stamp, from the Simon Says Stamp's Stamptember Tim Holtz 2014 release, seemed custom made for my theme.  I stamped it with Jet Black Archival ink and clear embossed it before watercolouring it with Distress inks in Salty Ocean, Chipped Saphire, Peeled Paint and Brushed Corduroy.


I mounted it on some pop dots and then added the Wishbone, coloured with just a touch of the same alcohol ink colours that I used on the compass charm.

Because I loved the background so much I wanted more of it to show, so I decided to stamp the Eiffel tower stamp from Tim's Clear Stamps - French Market set onto a piece of clear packaging with Black Stazon ink.


It also gave me the opportunity to layer some of the ephemera pieces behind and in front of the stamped image, which I really love.

More ephemera from the Emporium pack made an appearance in this corner along with three small Mirrored Stars, coloured with Stonewash alcohol ink, to echo the larger star in the upper corner.


Even though I wanted some of the background to show through the stamped transparency, it was feeling a bit bare in this corner after all was said and done, so I decided to add the '1 2 3  Go' using some Label Letters as an after thought.  As afterthoughts go, I think it worked out OK!

And it wasn't until I added the string to the red and white luggage tag in the middle that I noticed that the stamp on it said Tel Aviv.


I wanted to highlight that (perhaps it will be our traveler's next destination?) so I made an arrow from one of the air mail ephemera stickers from the Emporium pack.

I had lots of fun making this plaque, using my new to me Tim Holtz goodies and trying out some new techniques.


Hope that you enjoyed it too and thank you as always for stopping by today.  Have a great weekend and happy creating!

I'd like to link my vintage travel plaque up with these challenges as well:

Anything But Cute Challenge # 9: Ring Out The Old, Bring In The New - I used my new Tim Holtz Emporium Ephemera Pack, Wishbones and Souvenir Adornments charms.

Emerald Creek Dares New Adventure Challenge - I used all the new Tim Holtz goodies in my stash as listed above and also used a new technique to create my 'leather look' background.

Deb

P.S.  I've just found out that Google has made some changes about who can follow our blogs (thank you for the head's up Alison!)  Folks who do not have a Google account can no longer follow through the Google Friend Connect widget, so if my blog has suddenly disappeared from your blog feed, that is why!  Apparently you can now only follow Blogger blogs (with the Friend Connect widget) if you have a Google account, which is completely ridiculous to me.  I apologize to any of my follower's who are now being forced to open a Google account if they wish to follow my blog, that is very wrong in my humble opinion but I'm afraid there isn't anything I can do about it :O(

28 comments:

  1. I think we all wish we were there, but I am happy just to be here and see this wonderful creation! Love all the elements all so beautifully combined! Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, this is brilliant! Every little detail is perfection..... it looks as though it belonged to someone, and you've discovered it (family, antiquing, what have you!) Absolutely fabulous! And booo to blogger, although I am a member. Creating more boundaries is not what I would have guessed blogging is all about, lol! Happy long-distance CHA'ing - I am right there with you! xx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deb, loving all the detail in this lovely piece. Feeling a bit fed-up with blogger though. Have a good weekend, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nifty project! Travelling sounds good to me-- we're in for some frigid temps the next couple of days. I knew the CHA convention was going on but haven't seen any info from it yet. Will be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool project. You have such a knack for adding special details that bring it all together. I love the cracked leather look of your background. What an awesome technique.
    What's next for google and blogger that will make it even harder for bloggers to share with each other. I use feedly for keeping track of the blogs I follow. I wonder if it will effect that at all

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I was there too! That plaque might even make me feel like I actually traveled. You had some inspiration for this project. It's loaded with great details. Looking forward to seeing all the new stuff that will come out of CHA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so hard to believe that manila cardstock can become 'leather' isn't it? The technique never fails to impress and it looks stunning in your background. I love the photo too and the ephemera goes perfectly with your theme. Like you, I would love to be at CHA, I cannot get enough of the videos etc - I think I may become bankrupt buying all of the new stuff I want... sigh.

    You may want to consider joining us at Anything But Cute (http://www.anythingbutcutechallenge.blogspot.ca/2016/01/challenge-9-ring-out-old-bring-in-new.html with this lovely project. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous! Love all the vintage elements. Our new challenge at Emerald Creek - is Anything New. Could be new stash, new technique ;-) Why not pop along and enter :-) Emerald Creek Dares Challenge

    Karon DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a brilliant way of putting together that clever 'leather' and travel ephemera Deb. Like you I would LOVE to be at CHA mentally spending a fortune! Maybe this year's resolution should be to get there next year :) Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great tag Deb. I am waiting eagerly for the watercolour crayons! AND almost everything else that's coming!What exciting tiimes we live in with so many new things for our art!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just popped back to say thanks so much for joining in our 'Ring out the Old, Bring in the New' challenge at Anything But Cute. Hugs, Anne DT x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic project Deb, so perfectly designed with a great mix of embellishments and amazing leather look background.
    Hugs, Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nicely done my dear! Thank you for joining our Ring our the Old, Bring in the New challenge at Anything But Cute!
    Hugs

    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a wonderful piece with amazing detail! I bet it was fun to make. Thank you so much for playing along with us over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful, Deb. You've packed so many wonderful images and Tim pieces into this project. Love the vintage feel. It's really a great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Wow Deb! I just love it and I am so honoured you join my blog challenges. I just love what you create and cannot wait until the day I meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OK Deb, I am totally digging this one!! I so love that crinkle background, it looks like a desert with the wind blown surface and scorched sand...what a wonderful detail!! So many added elements that I just love here. The '123 GO' and the stars really caught my eye, but I adore all the bit and baubles!!

    DT hat on now - Thank you so much for joining us at Anything But Cute for our 'Bring in the New' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wish WE were there Deb......what fun we would have at CHA x
    Passed through Anaheim last year just wish CHA had been on then xx
    Absolutely love your plaque with such amazing details. Especially love the background

    Take care and huge hugs
    Annie x x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Deb, I'm so with you on the wishing I was at CHA... This card really sums up that feeling of travel in such a cool and eclectic way, well done! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  20. Deb, I can tell you had fun making this and it is fun to see all the details up close! Great work on your background, and great use of those new Tim goodies! I love a good Michael's clearance sale myself! Thank you for joining our Ring Out the Old, Bring in the New challenge at Anything But Cute! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it Deb, so much to see here xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Deb, you could look at this and each time find something new, its so well thought out. Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, Deb! I love every bit of this! Gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing this at Emerald Creek Dares.
    {julia}

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a great vintage piece chock full of fun things to look at. Thanks for joining us at Anything But Cute.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a brilliant vintage travel collage, Deb - the transparent stamping is so inspired, and I love how you've put all the ephemera together... the vintage photo looks properly vintage!!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations on your Designer's Spotlight at SSS! Well deserved and big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  27. So happy to see this gorgeous piece in the limelight! Congrats on your spotlight at SSS!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a wonderful travel inspired art! love the gorgeous details and all the thought and beautiful design!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo