Monday, February 1, 2016

A Winged Heart

Happy February everyone!  I am so happy to finally be able to tell you that I have been asked to join the design team at Mixed Media Mojo and today is my first DT post for them!  The challenge this month at Mixed Media Mojo is Hearts with the added twist of Paper Piecing:


and here is my winged heart wall hanging that I made for our February challenge.


With Valentine's Day just over the horizon I immediately thought of doing a Valentine themed project but then decided that I'd like to make something I could leave out all year long.  I have the Sizzix Heart & Wings Movers and Shapers dies, which were perfect for the paper piecing aspect of this month's challenge, so I went hunting for a quote about winged hearts.  And I found the perfect quote from one of my favourite authors, Kahlil Gibran:

'..(W)ake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving;..'

With that inspirational quote in mind and the lovely winged heart die, I set to work to create my wall hanging.

I started out by die cutting the Tim Holtz Postage Stamp Frame from craft cardstock and positioned the heart mover and shaper die so it would be cut out approximately in the center of the frame.  I then coloured three more pieces of kraft card with Picket Fence Distress Stain, Festive Berries Distress stain and Picked Raspberry Distress stain and cut out the wings, large heart and small heart to layer.  I coloured the postage stamp frame with some Gathered Twigs and Walnut Stain Distress inks and did some spritz and flick with water.


I then stamped Tim Holtz's Ledger Script stamp in the center with Jet Black Archival ink and embossed it with clear embossing powder.  I backed the postage stamp frame with a scrap of pink ombre scrapbook paper from my stash that I spattered with white acrylic paint and sprayed with Biscotti Perfect Pearls Mist and then distressed the edges of the scrapbook paper with my Tonic Distressor tool and aged them with Ground Espresso Distress ink.

While I had the Ledger Script stamp out, I inked it up with some Watering Can Archival ink and stamped the wings and the two hearts.  I did a second generation stamping onto the wings so it wouldn't be too prominent.  I then adhered the wings behind the large heart and popped the whole assembly up on some clear pop dots overtop the heart shape that had been die cut in the center of the postage stamp frame.


I then added a couple of more layers of clear pop dots behind the smaller heart and pieced it over the die cut center of the larger heart.  Here's a side view so you can see a bit of the dimension.


I used the clear pop dots so that the winged heart would have the illusion of floating in air and so you could still see a glimpse of the pink ombre paper in behind the postage stamp frame cut out.

I printed the quote out on my computer and cut it into strips mounted onto some black cardstock for a bit of dimension.



I then coloured one of Tim's Arrow Adornments and the 'Lifetime' Muse Token with alcohol inks (a combo of Caramel, Rust, Red Pepper and a touch of Black). 


I tied the muse token onto the arrow with a piece of red embroidery floss and then made some cording from the same floss and used it as a hanger for the completed piece.

I felt that I needed a bit more texture and interest in my background so decided to mount the postage stamp frame assembly onto some corrugated cardboard.  I coloured the cardboard with Ground Espresso and Gathered Twigs Distress stains and then added some Ranger Texture Paste here and there in the corrugations and added more distress stain after it had dried.


More white acrylic paint was spattered onto the corrugated cardboard and then the postage stamp frame was mounted over top.

And with that my first design team make for Mixed Media Mojo was completed, I hope that you like it!


I also hope that you will pop on over to the Mixed Media Mojo blog to see the wonderful creations that my fellow design team members made to inspire you and hope that you will join in our challenge this month.  Thanks as always for stopping by today and happy creating!

Deb xo



15 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say this is a gorgeous hanging Deb! Welcome to the MMM team! So happy you are with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a very pretty project, love the earthy tones with the red and pink. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another pretty project! My gosh, you're a busy bee!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This turned out really nice. Adding the corrugated cardboard for the backing was a nice finishing touch

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful combination of techniques and textures, Deb! And love anything with Gibran.....Congratulations on your new DT position!! Look forward to seeing what you come up with! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the design and elements you have used on this gorgeous creation Deb.
    hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Deb! Congratulations! I adore your wall hanging! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow Deb, what fabulous news - huge congratulations! What a fantastic first DT project too, love the winged hearts and the 'lifetime' token is such a wonderful touch... Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Deb, welcome to the MMM team, your heart wall hanging is wonderful.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous piece Debs!! I am just loving that background you made with the corrugated cardboard, so much texture and it's completely earthy! Such a lovely contrast to the soft pink layer that comes up next!! Brilliant my friend! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deb this is so beautiful, you are very talented. I am thinking of getting into mixed media art especially after seeing this!

    hugs
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh! this is gorgeous Deb, love it so much. Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are one busy girl, Deb! Your mixed media piece is beautiful. Your background is way cool. Love all of the texture and layering. Thanks for the vote of confidence on my blog post. :) It's much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Many congrats on your new DT, Deb - and what a lovely romantic debut. Your winged heart would surely make any recipient's heart soar too!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo