Sunday, February 28, 2016

Bubblegum And Bobby Soxers

Hello, hope you have all had a great weekend!  It's been very typical Spring weather here this weekend (even though it's still February!) so we've had sunshine and showers and blue skies and rain clouds depending upon Mother Natures mood!

As the end of the month is rapidly approaching I had to get my behind in gear, muse or no muse, and get my Tim Holtz 12 Tags of 2016 for February completed (thank goodness it is a Leap Year and there are 29 days in February!).  Tim's 'remix' for this month's tag was the combination of the stencil monoprint technique from June, 2014 and the embossed paste technique from March, 2015 (click here to head on over to Tim's blog and see his complete tutorial for the February 12 Tags of 2016).

Since my muse is still on a walk-about, I just started to randomly pull out some 'stuff' to see if I could find a spark to get my February tag started.  I was leafing through Tim's Photobooth film strips when I came across a picture of two young girls and suddenly an idea began to coalesce.  Meet Phyllis and Doris, two bubblegum chewing, jump rope skipping bobby soxers who are still to this day best friends forever!


For some reason bubblegum figured very prominently in my thoughts (I think it is the mischievous look on Phyllis's face as she peeks over at someone out of the picture frame, I can just imagine her blowing a great big bubble and having it go POP!) so I went very pink for this tag and used Tim's Bubble layering stencil for the stencil monoprint technique.


Because these BFF's first met in grade school, I used the 'ABC' portion of the Typo stencil for the embossed paste technique using silver embossing powder and I then used the Typo stencil again to stencil some hugs and kisses (X's & O's) here and there onto the background using Hickory Smoke DI.

I coloured a Number Token and a Muse Token with Tattered Rose Distress paint and attached them to a piece of Crinkle Ribbon coloured with Tattered Rose and Picked Raspberry DI using a wire pin.


Doris's perfect attendance certificate (from Tim's Thrift Shop Ephemera pack) was added behind their photo (Doris has always been a perfectionist, it drives Phyllis quit mad but she still loves her like a sister!).


I tattered and colourize their picture as Tim had done on his (although my colouring seems to be lost in this picture!) and went hunting on the 'net for a vintage Dubble Bubble image since it was their very favourite bubblegum when they were kids.

I also found the saddle shoes and bobby socks image on the net and it seemed a perfect fit to add to my tableau.


I made a jump rope out of some red and white bakers twine (I just twirled some wee pieces of masking tape on the ends of the string for the handles of the jump rope) and typed up the 'best friends' sentiment on my computer, cut it out and scuffed up the edges and mounted the words on some pop dots.  One of Tim's Vial Labels was then added on the edge with the 'always and forever' sentiment from his Words remnant rubs.

So there is my interpretation of Tim's February 12 Tags of 2016.


I had so much fun making it and I do hope that Phyllis and Doris would approve :O)  Thanks as always to Tim for his continuing inspiration and to you for stopping by today.  Only two more sleeps until Tim's March tag is revealed, I wonder what he will have in store for us?  Whatever it may be, I know it will be wonderful and I can't wait!  Have a great week ahead everyone and as always, happy creating!

Deb xo

16 comments:

  1. Love the jump rope and the perfect attendance record! This is such a good post to read and brings back wonderful memories of playing outdoors when I was younger. Love your tag and the details. Phyllis and Doris are BFF and F! Awesome sauce! Hugz. ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb - this is FANTASTIC!! Love your theme and the corresponding colors.... omg! Would that I could still jump rope like that, lol!! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Your jumprope is soooo cute! Great details-- especially the gum wrapper! Too clever! And I go along with Lynn-- wish I could still jump rope!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, as they say, you saved the best for last - almost the last day of February! But you still got in by a nose! And what a lovely tableau, just bursting with fun and youth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great tag, Deb, chock full of fun school girl stuff! Boy doesn't all that fun stuff take us back in time. And saddle shoes! In under the wire, love your determination even while your muse is on a walk-about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fabulous remix make Deblove all the ephemera and memories.
    Hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Deb! As I have said on G+, I really love this tag. I am not going to rewrite my entire comment here but I wanted to say this : You did a great job. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another amazing tag. Love the whole theme of it and the story you put behind it is always fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tag Deb, I love the way you have used the ephemera to create your own memories, brilliant xXx

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE that photo and the bubblegum...made me laugh out loud...cute cute cute take!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I truly love this Deb! The color is fantastic and the shoes are delightful! What a fun and inspiring take. Looks like your mojo is back in track! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your tag Deb, especially the double bubble addition. The girls really do look like they are the best of friends - this is a wonderful version of Tim's tag! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous tag Deb! I love the pink and the vintage vibe! Have a wonderful week!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this Deb, you do vintage so well without making it drab - that shot of pink is fabulous xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Deb your tag is absolutely beautiful and full of details! I love colors and design!Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  16. A lovely Febuary tag Deb! Beautifully vinatge with a fabulous background. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo