Saturday, February 6, 2016

Flower Power Altered Bottle

Hello everyone, thanks for stopping by today.  I've been working on altering a bottle for a swap with the Mixed Media Studio and finally got it finished today.  I've been struggling with which direction to take it and finally settled on somewhat of a theme yesterday and got it completed.


I started out with a smaller sized wine bottle and covered it with some Tim Holtz Melange tissue wrap.  Because the bottle was made from dark green glass, I wasn't really happy with the way the Melange tissue was looking so I added a wash of antiquing medium which made it look even worse!  I decided I had to lighten it up and so bit the bullet and added a wash of metallic gold paint.  I say bit the bullet because I am not a gold girl at all!  But things were looking better so I added some Wendy Vecchi texture crackle paste here and there:


and decoupaged some butterflies and pansy flowers for a bit more interest.


Since I'd fallen down the gold rabbit hole already, I added some gold trim around the bottom of the bottle:


and painted a wooden cabinet knob with gold paint and trimmed it with more gold trim for the stopper.


The finial on the top of the stopper was made with a mandala shaped charm, an oblong pearl coloured bead and a 'flowerish' head pin from my stash.


Since I seemed to be heading down a floral strewn path with the head pin and decoupaged pansies, I added a crystal flower to the neck of the bottle:


and added a crystal and chain fringe dangle as a finishing touch.


I hope my swap partner will like it, it's certainly not my 'usual fare' but getting outside of your comfort zone is a good thing to do now and then (or so I've heard!).


Thank you as always for stopping by today and hope that you will have a great weekend.  The sun is shining here and the snow is melting, although it's still February I can see a hint of Spring!  Hope you are getting some sunshine wherever you may be as well and happy creating!

Deb xo

12 comments:

  1. You do very well outside your comfort zone. This turned out really nice. When you are decoupaging do you use mod podge or something else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippee to trying new things outside of your comfort zone. I am on that journey as well and it is also with an altered bottle. I tried a well or so ago ending up with a disaster and only just finished my new bottle today. Your bottle is a breath of fresh air and so lovely. The gold wash was an excellent choice! Gorgeous design and the details are awesome sauce! I bet your swap buddy will love it! Hugz! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, I love it!!! You sure did a lovely job!!! The person who receives it will be thrilled. Hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't normally go for yellow gold but have to say it really suits the bottle beautifully! I love the gold cord/lace you added, it gives such a rich feel to the bottle and the topper is fabulous! What a great piece for your swap partner, they will be thrilled I am sure! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I was the person on the receiving end of this project. I am not a gold person either but it turned out beautifully! I love everything about this bottle. Now all it needs is a message :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Deb, loving your bottle. I had to grin when you said you had struggled a bit with the direction to go with it Lol! I've got a project at the moment and I have so many ideas and can't just decide which to use it's sending my brain wobbly! Have a great week, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  7. AWESOME!!! This is just fabulous Debs! I love the flowers and all the hints of gold. A cabinet knob, how freaking genius of you!! Love all the bling too, what an amazing altered bottle! Totally PINNED! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH SOOOOO SPECIAL Deb - love the golden colors, the shimmer and for sure the pansies. I have some right outside my window and all over the ranch too!!! And that chain is perfect. Lots of times I don't enjoy bottle artwork but I really love this one!! j.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Deb. I love altered bottles and yours is very cool. The butterflies are a nice touch. I love the added lace. That adds a romantic dimension. I really like your bottle top, too. Very nicely done! Thank you for your nice comments left on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how the printed tissue wrap images are still showing through all that fabulous gilded colour - what a great bottle for the swap!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love love love your altered bottle Deb.....they are such fun and the details on yours look amazing x

    Tfs and best wishes
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo