Thursday, February 4, 2016

Heart Of An Industrialist

Hello, thanks so much for stopping by today.  It's the first Friday of the month and that means it is time for a new challenge over at A Vintage Journey!  The challenge theme this month proposed by Tracy is 'Industrial' and here is her brief:

Use your foil tape, or metallic card stocks with your texture fades/embossing folders to create an Industrial creation all your own. Whether it's a background or bloom or anything, don't limit your paint color to black--the Industrial technique looks great with all colors of paints.

 I had so much fun with this theme and my only problem was deciding which one of my million ideas I wanted to use!  After much debate, I finally did settle on a design and here is what I created.


I have to say I am thrilled with how this reverse canvas came out, it's one of those projects that just took on a life of it's own.  I have some step by step photos of how I made it, so grab a cup of your favourite beverage and here we go!

I started out by gluing some tin foil to cardstock and embossed it with several of Tim Holtz's embossing folders (Pocket Watches & Steampunk Set and Postal) and also cut out some of the foiled card with his Mixed Media thinlits die.  I then coloured the embossed and die cut foiled card with multiple colours of alcohol inks and then aged them further with washes of black acrylic paint.


My first thought was to pick a favourite and decide where to go from there but the problem was I couldn't pick just one, I loved them all!  I contemplated combining them in some way but the bottom two pieces of card felt quite feminine while the upper two embossed pieces felt very masculine and so I was in a quandary again.  How could I make them work as a cohesive whole?  And then it came to me, the story of an industrialist gentleman at the turn of the century and the woman that he loved.


I decided to make a reverse shadow box canvas to encompass their story and so covered an 8" x 10" stretched canvas with some Tim Holtz Melange tissue wrap and aged it with FolkArt Antiquing Medium, leaving lots of lovely wrinkles on the back of the canvas for some interest.


The tissue was wrapped around to the front of the canvas and the inner recess was covered with some scrapbook paper from Tim's Crowded Attic paper stash.


I had a few gaps on the inside of the frame so added strips of Symphony tissue tape that coordinated perfectly with the Melange tissue wrap.

I then set to work cutting many gears using Tim's Gadget Gears die (can't wait to get the new Gadget Gears 2 and Gearheads dies!) and coloured them with multiple colours of acrylic paint.


Walnut Stain and Weathered Wood Distress paint and DecoArt Americana Burnt Sienna and Ebony Black acrylic paint were randomly dabbed on and then the gears were all stamped with Tim's Ledger Script stamp and Jet Black Archival ink.   I spattered them with Ebony black acrylic paint and then edged them all with more Jet Black Archival ink.

I also die cut some hinges and a key using the Hardware Findings die and coloured them with the same colours of paint.  I then tore strips from my embossed card and applied them around the edges of the reversed canvas (and sorry, this is also where my in process photographs stopped, I got on a roll!)


I applied the more masculine embossed card to the upper half of the canvas and added the feminine die cut and embossed card on the bottom.


I had a bit of a gap on the one side of the frame so coloured a a piece of textured metal sheeting by Bead Landing with alcohol inks and used it to bridge the area between, serendipitously it is a wonderful Art Deco design which fit in perfectly with the era that this industrial story occurred in.

As my reverse canvas was portraying a love story, I had to have a heart at it's center and that was where my gears came into play.


I layered the gears one atop the other with pop dots to form the heart of my industrialist.


Love the wonderful patina that was achieved with the layers of paint and stamping!  I then added a die cut key on top of the industrialist's heart to symbolize the love that bound him and his lady together.


I placed the industrialist's portrait (courtesy of Pixie Hill) at the top of the frame and encased it within a metal frame from my stash that I aged with alcohol inks and embossing powder (try adding embossing powder to the alcohol ink while it it still wet and then heating it, wonderful things happen!)


I typed out the title of my canvas on the computer and enclosed it within a frame by My Momenta and then coloured some gears from my stash with more alcohol ink and layered them in the corner opposite the industrialists portrait.


The portrait of the industrialist's wife was added to the bottom of the canvas overtop of the Mixed Media thinlits die cut and I added some tiny flowers made with Core-dinations card die cut with Tim's Tiny Tattered Florals dies.


The frame was a resin frame from my stash that I coloured with acrylic paints and the picture was in my vintage photos file, unfortunately I don't have any provenance for it so if you recognize her please let me know so I can give attribution.

I then added a key and escutcheon by My Momenta, coloured with alcohol inks, to signify the love that  bound these two people.


I also made a little clock from another gear and some clock hands from my stash and positioned it so that the hands pointed to the portraits of the industrialist and his lady to signify that their love for each other would endure for all time.

I hope that you have enjoyed my 'Heart Of An Industrialist' reverse canvas, I had so much fun making it and discovering the story that unfolded as I created it.


I also hope that you will stop by A Vintage Journey to see the wonderful projects that my fellow Creative Guides created for you and that you will be inspired to join in our challenge this month.  As always, there is a £ 20 gift certificate generously provided by Country View Crafts up for grabs as well as three coveted Pinworthy badges, awarded to our three favourite designers, for you to display on your blogs along with an opportunity to be one of our guest designers.  Thanks so much for stopping by today and as always, happy creating!

I'd like to link my reverse canvas with the following challenges:

Frilly and Funkie - Enjoy Your Embossing - dry embossed foil card used on my frame and heat embossed frame surrounding the industrialists photograph.

Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Have A Heart

Deb xo

41 comments:

  1. All I can say is "WOW!" That's just an incredibly rich design. My eyes were just big ol' cow eyes taking it all in. The little flowers were the perfect bit of juxtaposition to make the whole industrial theme pop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great Deb but sure looks complicated to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing Deb! Packed with cooler than cool details. It all looks wonderfully metal and rusted. Those tiny flowers at the bottom are perfect for a tiny bit of softening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful work! I love your use of this technique,the heart at the center is absolutely stunning! great piece! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowser! It is a mouth dropping creation Deb! Love the industrial heart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, wow and wow again Deb this is just brilliant. I just adore every little detail of this amazing canvas, everything fits and complements together perfectly, you have created an industrial masterpiece.
    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely no doubting why this is now being shared all over FB Deb!!! Pure, utter, creative brilliance. The altered embossed sections, the perfect cog heart, the contradiction between his love for the industrial and that for his lady, I could go on... Pinned!!! Love it to bits. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do not think I can express enough in words how much I love this fabulous creation, if this was just one of your many ideas then you are a creative genius Deb!! This is just incredible, I truly am lost for words..... Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowsers Deb !!!!!! This is jaw droppingly stunning !!!! I LoVE every single detail you have used both in the embellishments and the canvas. Fabulous design, fabulous layering and absolute genius metal work with the framelits dies. I've pinned it to come back and enjoy over and over. Amazing work ! Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous Deb, love all the industrial elements and layers and the fantastic texture and warm rustic tones. The heart is fantastic and is a wonderful bold dramatic centre piece to your design. Love it. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. AH-MAZING! jaw droppingly, mind blowingly AH-BLOODY-MAZING! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. What can I say that hasn't been said, it's amazing! fantastic! brilliant! and so well thought out, love it all. Have a great crafty weekend, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  13. JUST STUNNING!!!!! WOW... your gears are awesome, the frame is awesome! Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG OMG OMG!! This might be one of the best projects I have ever seen Debs!! I had it pinned to three different boards before the page had even finished loading! Holy macaroni, I don't even know where to start with my praises on this masterpiece!! That gear heart, what!!!! I think I actually just drooled on my shirt...someone pass me a tissue!! The eroded, rusted metal effects are just blowing me away and the frame, oh boy, love that frame!! Love the background, just LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! Please please tell me you are planning to enter this into our Grungy Love challenge this month at Anything But Cute, it's such a perfect fit for our theme.

    Hugs to the master, Pamellia DT :)
    Anything But Cute - Grungy Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Debs, gave you the wrong link, here is the proper one:
      Anything But Cute - Grungy Love

      Delete
    2. Hi again Debs. Just popped back in to say Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie for our 'Enjoy your Embossing' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

      Delete
  15. Deb, this is absolutely amazing, what a wonderful conglomeration of eclectic and industrial elements! So glad you went overboard with the elements, because they all work together so wonderfully. This is just fabulous!!! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an outstanding piece, Deb! I really appreciated seeing some of your process as well. What an inspiring way to start my day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Be still my heart - this is INCREDIBLE!! I can see how you got wrapped up in it - all those yummy textures and techniques.... absolutely fabulous!! I love everything about it - and am going back to drool some more, and to look into that fabulous art deco bit! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holy cow Deb! This is an incredible piece of art! I've been meaning to do a reverse canvas. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear me Deb - this is just FABULOUSLY INGENIOUS girl. First off - I totally am AWED over your frame. SPECTACULARLY INTRIGUINGLY LUSCIOUS. And that heart - wow. And then the little addition of some femininity. STUNNING - all of it just seriously AMAZING artwork. j.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah well Deb, what more can I say that has not been said already.... Pure utter genius! The frame in itself is spectacular, I so love all those rusty tones, - but then what you have done with the heart is just spectacular, your muse was working over time for sure!! And just a great story to go with it too, - just fantastic all round!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOWSERS! This is such an amazing piece! I just love it! When art takes a masculine feel I appreciate it even more as creating that is more of a challenge at time! Incredible piece!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing. Not only do I love the look and feel of the whole project but the story behind it and what it represents. You truly know how to put together a masterpiece

    ReplyDelete
  23. An Outstanding piece of Industrial Art ! Debs. Your creativity excelled with this stunning canvas. thank you for sharing and for the wonderful post x

    ReplyDelete
  24. beyond brilliantly amazing!! i love every single bit of this!! i need to play!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Deb , I have gotta tell you, this has to be my all time FAVORITE thing you have EVER shared ...LOVE, LOVE , LOVE ! Great work ! Have a great weekend ~ hugs Angie

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gobsmackingly brilliant and I am so there! Awesome sauce design, looks even better now that I see it in its entirety! Drools are looking under my chin as I stare at this lovely masterpiece! Truly a fantabulous design and the details, oooohhhh the details! Stunning and magnifique! This is my absolute fave of yours! Genius! Hugz to you and see ya on IG as well. One day we'll win the giveaway. Lol! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, Deb! I'm gobsmacked by this incredible art piece! I hardly know where to start, but let's begin with the wonderful rust effect you achieved...totally amazing! And the layering and embossing is just magnificent. I especially love the way you tucked that shabby chic frame and posy in the lower right corner. The contrast is wonderful and it adds a lovely touch of whimsy to the composition. I'm really impressed! Thanks for sharing it with us at the Frilly & Funkie enjoy your embossing challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Simply AMAZING!! That's all I can say, love every bit of it. S@ndy xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beyond brilliant, Deb... I'm so glad you found a way to incorporate all those fabulous bits of industrial embossing - the colours just sing together, and the frame looks spectacular all by itself. Then you get the bonus of the amazing rusted cogs layered together into the heart. Brilliant patina from all those layers and spatter - just altogether stunning! Hats off to you!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just LOVE this Deb - thank you so much for showing just how you did it- your embossed pieces look just marvelous - and I love your design with the masculine/feminine sides and pieces and the heart made of gears is so over the top creative for this industrial theme! Well done!! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. such a fabulous Industrial piece, meeting the Love shown on Valentine's day too. The tin foil embossing and alcohol inks looks amazing. Great details on the edges of the frame and I love the gears with the addition of the key xx

    Stunning piece Debs

    TFS and best wishes
    Annie xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. So late with my visits but seen this loads on Pinterest and no wonder! What a fantastic creation both of technique and creativity! Way to go Deb! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very cool and clever design with the heart of gears! Brilliant art!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh, Deb! I could have swore I wrote you a novel before, but this must have been one of the works of art I have been drooling over, and felt I needed a bigger stretch of time to comment on, because it is indeed novel-worthy!!!

    What a brilliant used of the industrial technique and I love the matte look to your pieces! What a FABULOUS design--I just got to thinking the other day how I don't like the look of those gears anymore, and then wham! You go an make them look so darn realistic with the painting and I love how you've made a heart with them--so romantic in a metal sort of way! I can't help it, I just keep scrolling up and down, so I think this needs to be pinned to My Absolute Favorites board, which is reserved for very few! Well done! Your work is amazing here! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Back to say thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow! Deb--huge congratulations on winning Top Pick over at Frilly and Funkie! So WELL deserved! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Such a wonderful vintage, rusty piece of art! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  38. A wonderful and inspirational piece. Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo