Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Set The Fear Aside

Hello everyone, hope you are having a great week.  I've been working on a project that was inspired by the new challenge blog Creative Carte Blanche.  This blog is the brain child of a group of amazingly talented artists: Annette Green, Candy Colwell, Cheryl Grigsby, Hels Sheridan, Linda Ledbetter, Susan Mostek and Yvonne Blair (quite the line up, right?!) and they are challenging us to 'approach your art with a sense of freedom and a spirit of exploration'.  The aim as I understand it is to help us all find our own voices, find what inspires us, find what makes us happy and to make our art without fear.  And their first challenge is to;


Oh boy, that's not intimidating at all LOL!

In looking at my own work, I know that I have a pretty set comfort zone; vintage/shabby/distressed, muted colour palette, use of embellishments, stamping and texture can be found in just about everything that I make.  So I decided to challenge myself to create something abstract-ish using a vibrant colour palette and to use only paint, inks and stains ... no embellishments, no stamps, just a few favourite stencils.  A journal spread seemed the perfect place to experiment and here is what I ended up creating.


Do I like it?  Hmmm, the jury is still out on that one!  Did I succeed in my goals?  Well, it's certainly more abstract than my usual style and I didn't use any embellishments or stamps so I did fulfill those goals.  But while I started out with some VERY vibrant colours in the end I just couldn't take it and knocked them all back with gesso and more muted Distress inks LOL!  And while it may not look anything like what I usually make, I can still see some of the elements that have always inspired me.

Nature is very much present in the plant forms of the Paper Artsy and Dina Wakley stencils:


and in Tim Holtz's Tracks stencil (it's always reminded me of evergreen trees).


And while I have used some vibrant colours (that magenta colour terrifies me!);


the predominant colours of green and blue reflect yet again the influence that Nature has in my work.

Even the sentiment gives a nod to Nature:


while my words are intended to inspire me to find my own artistic style and path, the garden metaphor once again reflects the Natural world (FYI, using my own handwriting instead of stamps to write the sentiment was nearly as terrifying as using that magenta colour!!).

So all in all, I'd have to say that this journal page was a success.


It helped me to realize that even when I work way outside of my comfort zone, my style and the things that inspire me are still evident .... and the realization that I even have a style and inspirations was quite the revelation all in itself!  I am so excited to see where the next challenge at Creative Carte Blanche will lead and I hope that perhaps you will join in too and explore along with me.

Thanks for stopping by today and as always, happy creating!

Deb xo

32 comments:

  1. Personally I think you just have an artistic knack no matter what you do. I absolutely love this page. I can relate to being terrified by trying something new though. Art journaling was a good way for me to overcome the fear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! I love the lettering-- good color choice too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My personal jury is IN Deb and the verdict is....... LOVE LOVE LOVE. Sooooo lovely - those colors and they way you blended them with all the layers. It's truly STUNNING. I would LOVE to make something this beautiful. So inspiring! j.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too share the fear of magenta, but your colors are great! This is a really brave step away for you, and I admire you for it. Kudos, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All right, Deb! Your beautiful journal spread is exactly what we were talking about - conquering that fear and going for it! I love the fact that you used a style and colors you were not comfortable with as well as your hand-lettering - turned out fabulous! Thanks so much for joining us at Creative Carte Blanche!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a success! I love what you've made, especially those soft water color effects! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, Deb, this is spectacular!!!Sorry I have not been by, just got my computer back from the dead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. By golly, I think you've got it! I love the colors and the design. I would be drawn to this as a calendar where it might wind up in a frame on my wall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I say success too! Love the colors and your design. I always feel like as long as I'm inspired and creating in a happy state of mind, what's unknown inside me will eventually come out without a stressful forcing. I love hearing you say you made discoveries of yourself in this process. Very cool beans!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully done Deb, those colours and layers are amazing and you have created amazing depth. Love your pages xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great piece of work Deb.I reckon you ought to "break out" more often!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy crumdiddlydo!! This is awesome Debs! I think you should whip out the bright colours more often because you have created a masterpiece that has captured my attention and my heart! Every inch of this page is full of colour and interest, I keep scrolling back up to look at it again and again!! I don't Pin things as often as I used to, but boy oh boy, this beauty is PINNED PINNED PINNED!! Love it my friend. hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous Deb, that is a gorgeous couple of pages. Noticed something interesting below so off for a look. Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE the post title, and glad you joined in! Your pages are gorgeous...LOVE the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These paint layers are dreamy! Gorgeous spread!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such fab Journalling Deb and so many beautiful creative layers and details.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I say yes, it's a resounding success - a departure for you but still your signature style shines through.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Deb!!!! I think your pages are awesome!!! I loved reading your blog processed and your thought process as you were deciding upon what new direction to take for this piece. It is very astute of you to recognize your comfort zone. Obviously those things make you happy. And I can totally relate to your not particularly loving or feeling comfortable with very bright colors. I have to knock some of the color off as well when I work with them! Ha ha But I really do love what you've done with your pages. I love the stenciled leaves. I love the blended colors and how they almost have a watercolor affect. I love the black-and-white accents and all of your random lines and circles. I think you did a wonderful job and you would never know that this was not part of your comfort zone. Way to go and thank you for the shout out for Creative Cart Blanche and the kind thoughts you left on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful pages Deb, and your colors and abstract design are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think this is fabulous Deb! Love it and it's great to get our of your comfort zone! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Deb,, I'd say you stepped into your non-comfort zone and scored!!! This is lovely, and very whimsical - I love all the energy, the beautiful greens, and even that magenta (I am a bright color gal at heart!) How cool to find that you have a style - I'll have to give that a whirl one of these days, as it might help when the ol' mojo goes on vacation, lol! But seriously, I love that your art and play here brought you to another place - insight is always precious. Good on you, and I'll definitely be looking into this new challenge site - sounds right up my street, and obviously right up yours as well! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think the colours here are just stunning... yes, the Magenta is terrifying in its pure form, but mixed and shaded and blended and tinted as it is here, it is pure magic. I love the natural organic forms - a really glorious page spread.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Deb! I think you scored on this one! I LOVE the color palette you worked with! AND that Magenta color sings to me! It is absolutely perfect with the other colors you chose! It is VERY scary to try something new...I feel it too...but I have to say it is exciting as well...Beautiful art journal pages! Thank you for getting creative with us at Creative Carte Blanche!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You should deffo love this creation because not only is it a beauty, it also took you out of your comfort zone... somewhere we all like to lurk right? Love those colours and the subject matter... bravo! Thanks for joining us at Creative Carte Blanche

    ReplyDelete
  25. You absolutely rocked it Deb!!!! Amazing journal pages and the colours/details are awesome............you have to get in to this style...you are a natural xx

    Hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Deb! HOLY ROCKETS, the jury isn't out, the jury's socks are KNOCKED OFF! Great job, girl-- this is fabulous in every single way (those colors!!!!). We're delighted that you rocked our very first challenge at Creative Carte Blanche, and can't wait to see more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Deb, you absolutely did accomplish your goals. I so love the artsy and abstract feel in your journal pages. Such fun. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful! Love all the colours! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  29. You get it, girl!! I absolutely love how you see the vision and ran with it. Your art journal page spread is just fabulous. I think you had a blast doing it and it shows!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Huge success! I am SO like you when it comes to color. I shy away from the bold and bright. I love that you went for it. These pages are awesome! At first glance, I thought it had a Batik feel to it. I'm so happy you joined us with your inspiring art on the Creative Carte Blanche blog. Hope to see you again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I absolutely LOVE this Deb!!! WOW! Scary colours used perfectly together and they surely don't look scary any more. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think it's beautiful...and yes I love the magenta also...it's given me a touch of spring fever.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo