Saturday, March 19, 2016

A Meandering Fairyland

Hello, hope everyone has had a good week.  Our snow has all but disappeared here and I've been up hiking in the hills with Haley the Wonder Pooch every day, we are both sore and tired but it's so wonderful to get out hiking again!

I received my first meandering book from one of the gals in our Mixed Media Studio group (you can read about the swap/rotation we are doing with them in this post here) and have been working on embellishing a couple of pages for her.  The theme she has chosen for her meandering book is 'Fairy Kingdom' and she has reminded us all that she loves bling so it's been a bit of a struggle for me as I am into neither fairies nor bling LOL!  But after some pondering I came up with a couple of pages that I hope she will like.

This is the front of the page, I printed a vintage book illustration from my stash onto some printable fabric iron on sheets and was going to iron it right onto her book but hesitated as I wasn't sure what the purple fabric she had covered it in was made from.  I was fraid it might melt/burn if the iron was too hot, so I ended up backing the printed image with a piece of frayed muslin and glued it in instead.


I then embossed a mandala charm and a dragonfly with a custom mix of embossing powders from my stash, added a faux pearl bead and a tiny hang tag that says 'Fairy Queen' and hung it all from a small safety pin that I disguised with a fiber fragment.  I still needed the bling component so added some green Stickles glitter glue around the edges of the illustration and added some Star Dust Stickles on the Fairy Queen's wings and antenna.

On the back side of the page, I decided to make a little fairy forest scene.  I found a forest illustration online and printed it on heavy cardstock and then tore the edges so it was the right size for the page.  After gluing it into place, I resized and fussy cut some toadstools (courtesy of The Graphics Fairy) and then resized the little fairy girl so she was sitting on top of the toadstools (the fairy girl image is courtesy of Astrid MacLean).  Both the toadstools and the fairy were slightly elevated off of the background with some strips of black fun foam.


I covered the fairy's wings with a coat of Glossy Accents and when that was dry added some Star Dust Stickles glitter glue to them and to the flower in her hair.  I die cut three tattered florals from coordinating cardstock and added a clear faceted gem to the center of each.  A dragonfly charm from my stash was coloured with American Avacado Dip acrylic paint and then had a coat of Star Dust glitter glue added when the paint was dry.  I made the sentiment on the computer and edged it with some blue glitter glue and as a finishing touch added some 'raindrops' to the toadstools and flowers with Glossy Accents.  I hope I've added enough 'bling' LOL!

So now this meandering book will head off to the next person in line and I will await the arrival of the book that will be coming to me next.  It will be 6 long months before my meandering book makes the rounds and finds its way back home but I can't wait to see it!

I also made a tag for a swap with Judy over at Judy's Lace Creations Etc. but can't show it to you quite yet as it is still in the mail.  I'll post a picture as soon as she gets it and will also share pictures of the tag she is sending me, can't wait to see it, she is one talented gal!

So that is it for now, I have to get cracking on my March Tim tag and also want to join in this month's challenge at Creative Carte Blanche so must get to work on those projects.  Have a great weekend everyone and happy creating!

Deb xo

P.S.  Just wanted to encourage you all to join in the current challenge over at A Vintage Journey, we are using the contents of our travel bags this month (see my post here of the ATB I made) and we hope that you will join in the fun!  There is an amazing gift from Andy Skinner up for grabs, plus the coveted Pinworthy Badges to display on your blogs, so hope you will jump in and have some fun!

16 comments:

  1. These are really nice. Fairies are such a big thing but for some reason I've never gotten into them either.
    Good for you getting out and doing all that hiking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The traveling has already begun! Good! I loved seeing your work.

    Keep hiking - you never know how much you miss simple joys of locomotion until your knees give out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These 2 pages will go down very well with this book's recipient. Love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how you can turn your hand to all styles Deb and come up with a stunning creation, love your pages. Well done you for hiking every day. Ken bought me some new waterproof walking shoes yesterday so I am determined to get out and about round our beautiful countryside more as Spring approaches.
    Happy Sunday.
    Hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb this is beautifully done even though it started outside your comfort zone! Both pages look amazing and I am sure will be much appreciated. Brilliant how the printing on fabric has worked out. I am delighted that you could use one of my images of course and you have used that little fairy so well too. Love the idea of a wandering book....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not really into fairies but the image you chose is absolutely stunning, I just love it and the image from Astrid is really beautiful too. I think these will be very well received indeed! How lovely to be able to get out walking again, I love that the days are getting longer! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely adore the enchanting magical feel to your project Deb and it looks stunning against this regal purple.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow-- the book's owner will be thrilled. Wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love fairies and fairytales but with a dark twist. Hehe! Looking at this meandering book, I never would have known you don't do fairy because this is awesome sauce! Love that charm and dragonfly! So clever! What an exciting journey this book is taking and I do hope you share your meandering boom when you get it back! Hugz! And yes, I joined AVJ today! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Umm, that's supposed to say book not boom. Lol! Darn autocorrect! :) Unless you also have a boom? :p

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous Deb. Love the fairy images and the glittery trim is such a great touch for a fantasy themed piece. Love the dragonfly bling, nice! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love fairies too and you always put together the prettiest art! Enjoy your week sweet friend. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Deb - I am gobsmacked at what you pulled off given that fairies and bling are not your thing!! Good on you - I don't think I could put something like this together!! It is lovely, and I am sure with those interests will adore this! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is really pretty Deb, the purple fabric is very striking xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. For someone who is not into fairies nor bling, you have really created something magical!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo