Friday, March 11, 2016

Days Like This

Happy Friday everyone, hope you had a great week and that you have some fun plans for the weekend.  I've been playing with my new Distress crayons and Crazy Cats stamps, what fun!


The Crazy Cats are so cute, love the look on this guys face!  I only have the stamps at the moment, my dies are still enroute, so I fussy cut this wee fellow after colouring him with Distress crayons and a water brush and attached the ball of yarn to his tail.


The Distress crayons blend beautifully with the water brush but I will suggest that you make sure to seal your paper with gesso or a matte medium before stamping and colouring.   The sealed surface allows you to blend and move the Distress crayons more easily.  I did a little experiment and found that good old white gesso and Liquitex Matte Medium are the best sealants (of the sealants I had in my stash that is).  The stamping and Distress crayon colours are a little more fugitive on the Liquitex matte medium surface (although they still blend very nicely) but the white gesso was the hands down winner.

I printed out the sentiment on my computer (hmmm, looks like my printer heads need either cleaning or aligning!) and mounted everything on dimensional foam tape.


One of the most fun things about the Distress crayons is that, although they are water reactive, they will not move or bleed unless you physically move the pigment with your finger, a brush or blending tool even when they have been moistened with water or sprays.  On the background I did some stenciling here and there with Distress crayons, then covered the whole tag with a couple of colours of Distress ink and then added some spritz and flick with water.


The Distress inks bloomed and moved as they always do, but the stenciled Distress crayon areas didn't budge.  Oh the possibilities!

Hope that you will get a chance to play with some new goodies in your stash this weekend and that you won't have 'one of those days' LOL!


Thanks as always for stopping by and happy creating!

Deb xo

20 comments:

  1. Oh Deb, this tag is precious! I must get some of those kitty stamps too(love cats!!- such quirky creatures), and the maker of these knows cats! That's good to know about the crayons staying put.I must get some soon.Wondered what I'd use them for and how to use them. Love your colour scheme too!If ever you want to trade tags just let me know? I'd love to swap with you- if you have the time, and if you think you might like my tags- depnds if they are your taste.I do other things besides Vintage.
    Cheers
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fabulous tag and colours Deb, love your saying to go with crazy cat. Love what you did with the distress crayons too, fabulous background.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this Deb! Great use of the crayons and such a great quote. Have a great weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy, now I have to add Distress crayons to my shopping cart!! Your tag is so cute and fabulous, love the sentiment too! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! Great BG colors. Gee, I think I have "days like that" every day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a fun tag Debs and that little guy is too cute x thanks for the tip regarding the Distress Crayons x
    Have a great weekend
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those crazy cats are wonderful for creating funny and delightful art pieces. Your tag is so great! I love all your painting and coloring. Great-good-to-know tips too. The yarn tie at the top is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Crazy Cats! Thanks for the tip about the gesso!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So wonderful - so funny! I have 3 cats so you know I am a cat lady. I do have these stamps and just ordered the dies. Can't wait to get them!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heheheh - poor little kitty! The good news is - he sure has a lovely home to play in. What a GORGEOUS background Deb. I would be happy to chase my tail if I was in a color scheme of yumminess like that!!! LOVELY and FUN tag. j.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is just fun & adorable Deb! Great job! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Deb, this is adorable! The background is just gorgeous, great use of the crayons too! I have finally succumbed and bought these stamps and seeing this beautiful creation makes me glad I did! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this tag. That cat is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect sentiment and I just adore your background here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely love this, so gorgeous. Thanks so much for sharing this gorgeous tag. Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your tag Deb! That TH cat stamp is so cute! Thanks for the stamping tips. I just bought the TH crayons.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great tag Deb! love the cat with the yarn on his tail - the look on that face! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my...totally adorable!!! LOVE the look on his face with the yarn, and the quote is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love, love, love that background, and a perfect cat! Just got these stamps - this is fabulous inspiration to use them! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sa-weeet! Now you've gone and done it! I have a Frilly and Funkie order that's been sitting on my desk for about 2 weeks, and I KNOW there are Distress crayons and kitty stamps in there, and I just can't scrape together 15 minutes to play. Soon! So inspiring and adorable! hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo