Monday, March 21, 2016

Discover Beauty

Hello blogging peeps, hope you all had a good weekend.  I just got back from a hike with Haley The Wonder Pooch and we saw two moose today!  So exciting to see them, for such a huge animal they are very elusive and difficult to spot so it's always a treat when we catch a glimpse (and that's about all you catch as they head off in the other direction on those ridiculously long legs!).

I finished up my March 12 Tags of 2016 yesterday, Tim Holtz's version and his detailed tutorial can be found here.  This month's tag was a remix of the textured surfaces technique from November, 2014 and the dimensional dies technique from August, 2015.


I have just realized looking at my tag pictures and at Tim's tag pictures that I reversed the textured surface; my tag has the corrugations on the front side while Tim's has the corrugations on the reverse and only peeking through where he has peeled the backing away!  Doh!  I couldn't figure out for the life of me why mine looked so different and the penny has just dropped, what a do-do I am LOL!  Ah well, what's done is done, it is much too late now to pull it apart.

I used the Leaf Blueprint die to cut out the 'window' on my corrugated cardboard and backed it with a tag die cut with two of the Mixed Media 1 dies.


Some Spring themed sheet music was used to back the Mixed Media 1 die cuts and I coloured that layer with Distress crayons (Twisted Citron, Mustard Seed and Peeled Paint).

The punched butterflies were 'leftovers' from another project but their colour coordinated perfectly so I added two of them to the tag.


The corrugated card was coloured with Gathered Twigs Distress spray, Lindy's Stamp Gang Van Dyke Sepia Moon Shadow Mist and Prima Gilded Color Bloom spray mist.  I edged the corrugated card with some gold foil and added the Mirrored Star (coloured with alchohol inks Butterscotch and Copper Mixative) as the top left corner as feeling a bit bare.

I added some Words and Elements Remnant Rubs to one of Tim's Vial Labels and adhered it to a piece of bakers twine cording that I got at Michaels.


I used some staples to hold the cording in place and added the second punched butterfly to the bottom of the tag.

So that's my take on Tim's March tag, warts and all!  Still can't believe I adhered the corrugated card backwards, I fear for my sanity when things like this happen LOL!


Have a great week everyone and as always, happy creating!

Deb xo

22 comments:

  1. Nice job! I like your cardboard effect as much as the original. The staples at the bottom are a nice touch. You saw two moose?? Cool-- I've never seen one in person; must be very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the texture of corrugated cardboard ~ good call! Nice spring colors, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deb, it's been a long time since I left a comment but I got the courage to go visiting tonight. The tags looks fabulous. Not much creating go on around here but a lot of house construction is happening so the craft supplies are all packed away. Hope all is well.

    Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Deb, it's been a long time since I left a comment but I got the courage to go visiting tonight. The tags looks fabulous. Not much creating go on around here but a lot of house construction is happening so the craft supplies are all packed away. Hope all is well.

    Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your take Deb with the ripples of the corrugated card creating wonderful texture. How wonderful to be able to spot moose whilst you are out and about, that's so exciting. Have a great week.
    Hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well the way I see it anyone can copy Tim's tag exactly but it was a stroke of creative genius that made you flip yours over and march to the beat of your own artistic drum :) I've always liked the look of corrugated cardboard. I also like the way you attached the bakers twine with the staples.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two moose!!! Wow, now that is quite an impressive thing to see when you are out walking....!!

    I actually like the corrugated bit to the front and since you have reminded me to get mine done, I may even copy your idea (hope that's OK), I really like the way yours looks! The colours in the background look stunning and I just love the pretty butterflies - beautiful! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Deb! Before I even read your post, I thought to myself I like the texture on the leave! Your tag is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that was a fabulous 'whoops'! I love the look of the corrugated texture against the bright yellow of the leaf - great contrast in colour and texture. Thanks for the inspiration!
    {julia}

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous tag and loving the colours! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE how you combined the leaf and the butterflies. Gorgeous soft colors too. Great take!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice, Deb! Love your colors here, and those butterflies are perfect!! Good for you getting the tag done - I am still hoping to do so :-) xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I do love your springtime remix, Deb - the vivid citron is the perfect contrast to the earthy corrugated texture - scrumptious! Sorry to be somewhat absent lately... you know why! We're even working 2 - 11pm today so just time to dash round and wish you a happy Easter!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your tag is beautiful and I love the colors! Your butterflies are perfect on this tag! Awesome :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Deb, thanks for making my day with your fun post! I loved reading about how you discovered your boo boo...it happens to all of us! Embrace imperfection is what I tell myself. Your tag is gorgeous just the way it is! Great spotting those moose! We spotted a few on a fishing trip to Maine, and one nearly jumped on the car! Gangly looking, they are! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lol Deb I really like it this way around - the colours really pop and the butterflies are fab! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Deb, love the tag this is a great technique. Hope you've had a great Easter. Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think the reversed texture background is great! It's different than Tim's, but Great!
    The colors are beautiful! When I read you saw two moose, I knew you must be in either BC or northern Alberta! They are majestic animals and though (not pretty), they're beautiful. Love your 'Delinquent' little fellow! Hope you had a happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Doh! I like the texture you accidentally created, it looks awesome sauce! Your color choice is amazing and beautiful and those butterflies were the perfect finishing touch for this lovely tag. Hope you had a great Easter! Hugz! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love a fellow rebel who does things backwards then sticks with it. (Go with that). I love your rugged outdoorsy version for the background for your awesome leaf and butterflies and other great details. Cool tag!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Being different works, Deb! Love the spring feel to this beauty and the corrugate reversed! Love the butterflies with the leaf...lovely tag!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Perhaps Tim's is wrong and yours is right!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo