Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Going Green

Hello everyone, hope your week is going well.  I've been working away on some swaps that were coming due for our Mixed Media Studio group and got two of them completed and on their way.

The first swap was an ATC swap and the theme was 'Something Green'.  While a St. Patrick's Day theme could have been used, I decided to interpret the theme from a colour rather than occasion perspective and made two nature themed ATC's.  The first featured a sweet little wren stamp and a lovely quotation from Dina Wakley's Scribbly Birds stamp set.


I would have used one of Dina's Scribbly Birds but they were a little too large for the ATC  so used this discontinued wren stamp from Crafty Secrets (note to self, buy Dina's new Scribbly Small Birdies stamps!).   The background was created with a remnant of blue watercoloured paper from another project and I did the stencil monoprint technique with Tim Holtz's Blossom stencil using Twisted Citron and Peeled Paint Distress inks overtop.  I edged the ATC with some green Stickles glitter glue.

The frame was created from another scrap (no idea what colours I used to make it!) that was cut with the Lacy Squares die from Spellbinders, I just cut out the center of the square to create the frame.  The little wren was stamped with Jet Black archival ink onto white card and clear embossed and then coloured with Distress Markers in Antique Linen and Weathered Wood.  After fussy cutting, I edged the image with Old Paper Distress Ink.  


The branch was an offcut from another project (Tim Holtz's Bird Branch die) and I mounted the wren on some pop dots to elevate her slightly above the branch and frame.

I stamped the sentiment onto white card using Jet Black archival ink and clear embossed it and then coloured it lightly with some Old Paper Distress ink after fussy cutting and mounted it on some foam tape below the frame.


I love that quote!  And then because the quote talked about bird song, I stamped the other text stamp from Dina's set onto some more white card in the same way and mounted it on pop dots at the top above the wren's head.


ATC number one completed, now on to number two!

The second ATC continued the green colour and nature theme but this time I used butterflies.


I used the same blue watercolour paper for this background but this time stenciled through Tim's Blossom stencil with Twisted Citron Distress ink and then bumped the stencil slightly and repeated the stenciling with some Peeled Paint DI.  I had several white butterfly die cuts already cut in my stash (I do believe they were a gift from a previous swap?) as well as the larger die cut butterfly that was cut from patterned paper.  The Arbor leaf was also already in my stash from a previous project and again no idea what colours I used on it!

I edged this ATC with some blue glitter glue and then adhered the Arbor leaf to the background.  I added a wee thin strip of foam tape under the center of the larger patterned paper butterfly and glued it onto one of the leaves.


The smaller butterflies were coloured with Twisted Citron and Peeled Paint DI along with some spritz and flick with water and then were overstamped with a script stamp from my stash and some Cornflower Blue archival ink


This is the first time I've broken out the Cornflower Blue archival and I am in love!  What a gorgeous colour, especially when combined with the green.  I then gently bent the script butterflies in half and glued just one wing to the background so they'd have a little dimension.

I then typed out the sentiment on the computer and after fussy cutting distressed the edges slightly.


I mounted the sentiment onto some foam tape and then glued that teeny tiny butterfly into place, so cute!

So that was the Something Green ATC's completed, I am just realizing that these ATC's are green in more ways than one since I used so many of my bits and bobs that I've been hoarding saving, they have quite a recycled component to them!


The next swap was to make a mini matchbox and to include something green inside of it.  We could either upcyle a match box or make one from a template provided and since I didn't have any empty matchboxes I made one from some scrapbook paper scraps in my stash (there's that recycling again!).


I decorated the top with a 'crystal' flower from my stash, some iridescent rick-rack and a few little leaves die cut from the same paper I used to make the base of the matchbox using Tim Holtz's Tiny Tattered Florals die.


And inside the matchbox, I placed a little charm that I had made a while back from a little domino.


Serendipitously it just happened to be green and happened to fit inside the matchbox perfectly so it is heading on it's way to Ohio!

I am now working on an altered egg swap that is coming due soon, I've had a styrofoam egg in my stash for quite literally years so it is getting all dolled up for Easter.  I'll post some pictures as soon as it is done, still waiting for the first layer of decoupaged book pages to dry before I can proceed!

Thanks so much for stopping by today and hope that you will pop back tomorrow afternoon when I will have my Creative Guide project for A Vintage Journey's second birthday celebration to show you!  Can't wait for you to see it, I had a lot of fun making it.  Have a wonderful evening and as always, happy creating!

Deb xo

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful atc's and matchbox Deb! I love the spring theme!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green- my fav colour. Such pretty ATC's and cute charm! Love small things.Your swap buddies will love these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Deb, what a full post today! I've never made an ATC before, but you sure may be inspiring me to give a go, these are gorgeous!! Love the glittery edges! Beautiful matchbox, love the bling!! Great pieces! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonerdul projects! You do such a great job with the details! Love the birdie paper on the matchbox.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE atc's, and yours are wonderful! So cute and Springy! Cute little box too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sentiments on the ATCs so much. And the cards do them justice. The wee matchbox turned out so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow these are so lovely Deb! nicely done! I haven't made ATC's in years

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always do such pretty work! Love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you have been busy. I love the fact you have gone green, I love green in artwork and these are gorgeous. I love the sentiment on the bird ATC. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what a lovely post Deb! I adore birds and butterflies so I love your beautiful ATCs and the little matchbox is just gorgeous - I have not done any dominoes for ages so this is a timely reminder to get mine out again! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both the ATC's are great. Can't go wrong with birds or butterflies. Love the matchbox too

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoa, Deb! You have been one busy and creative gal! I love all of these, but am especially taken with the bird and the script butterflies (I am in love with anything script, lol!) Wonderful makes, all of them - and looking forward to more info on that domino! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love all your makes Deb but fell head over heels with your little domino charm.
    Hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such sweet ATCs, and the little matchbox is charming but, like Brenda, it's the domino charm which has stolen my heart!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my Deb ~ such Beautiful pieces ~ I can't believe all the detail you put into them!!!
    Such a creative soul you are.
    Many Blessings
    Robin

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo