Thursday, April 28, 2016

Butterfly In Flight Tag

Hello and thanks for stopping by!  I have a tag to share with you today that I made for 'Tag Friday' over at A Vintage Journey.  I've been working in the garden and the first butterflies and moths have been making an appearance so their arrival inspired my tag.


I also just purchased some new to me Ranger embossing powders, Frosted Crystal and Sticky, so decided to take them out for a test run as well.

I started out with a #10 tag and coloured it with Squeezed Lemonade, Mustard Seed and Spiced Marmalade Distress stains and inks.  Some stenciling came next using Tim Holtz's Burlap, Tracks and Bubble layering stencils with Distress crayon in Fossilized Amber, Mustard Seed and Spiced Marmalade.


I did some second generation stamping with Potting Soil Archival ink using stamps from the Stampers Anonymous Classics #16 and Birdfeather stamp sets and finished up the tag background by spattering it with Gathered Twigs and Picket Fence Distress stains.

For the butterfly, I coloured cardstock with Distress inks in Stormy Sky, Mermaid Lagoon, Chipped Sapphire and Blueprint Sketch and die cut the solid butterfly with Tim Holtz's Detailed Butterflies die.


I die cut the detailed overlay from black cardstock, embossed it with the Sticky embossing powder and then sprinkled on Distress Glitter in Pumice Stone and Antique Linen and layered the two die cuts together to make my butterfly.

More cardstock was coloured with Walnut Stain, Vintage Photo and Brushed Corduroy Distress inks and die cut with the Lattice die.  The lattice die cut was added to the tag as well as some of the triangular off cuts.  I then sealed the whole tag with some Distress Collage medium and added shadows around the die cuts with Black Soot and Walnut Stain Distress marker.


For the sentiment, I stamped the words 'In flight...' (from an old Tattered Angels 'Nature In Flight' stamp set) with Distress embossing ink and then embossed them with the Frosted Crystal embossing powder on black cardstock.  I coloured over the embossed words with a piece of chalk and fussy cut the words separately (check out Tim Holtz's chalkboard tutorial here for a detailed description of this technique).  On the back of the tag, I stamped the large butterfly from the same Tattered Angels stamp set with Potting Soil Archival ink.

The sentiment and the butterfly were mounted onto some black fun foam, adhered to the front of the tag and I finished it off with a piece of linen ribbon tied on with a curled fragment of rusty wire.


I had tried Tim's chalkboard technique before but didn't have the Frosted Crystal embossing powder at the time and let me tell you it makes all the difference in the world to the success of this technique.

The Sticky embossing powder was fun to use as well, although I didn't quite get the glitter on quickly enough on the right side - I am choosing to embrace imperfection as Tim always encourages us to do!


The picture doesn't do the butterfly justice I'm afraid as the glitter was difficult to photograph, it is much prettier in real life.

So that is my contribution to Tag Friday over at A Vintage Journey, I do hope you will have a minute to pop over to see the tags created by my fellow Creative Guides, they are wonderful as always!


Have a great weekend and I hope that the butterflies are making an appearance in your garden too!  Happy creating,

Deb xo


13 comments:

  1. What a great and bright color combo. Love every bit of your tag. S@ndy xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous tag Deb! Love the bright contrasting colour combination of that stunning background with the beautiful blue butterfly! Wonderfully put together!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow Deb, this is gorgeous, I love the stunning blue butterfly against the beautiful colours of the background and your chalkboard technique looks fantastic! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! Debs. Love how the colour of the tag radiates a sense of warmth and the blue of the butterfly looks fab against it .
    hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just beautiful Deb! I've yet to see any butterflies in the garden so yours is a wonderful sight! I so admire your creative skills!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful tag!!! I LOVE the colors...so eye catching, and really love the chalk lettering...great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely tag Deb, love the chalkboard text , lovely touch against the pop of colour in the background. Have a lovely weekend. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous tag Debs - gorgeous colours and textures and that great chalkboard text! Love it. Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic tag. I love the butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the bold orange background with the bright blue glittery butterfly Deb - wonderful techniques used on creating this lovely tag! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. A gorgeous background and fabulous butterfly Deb, I haven't got that die but can see myself succumbing after seeing this beautiful creation.
    Enjoy the weekend.
    hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love the sunshine glow of the background, and how those colours are shaded and blended to create depth. And the sparkly butterfly is fab!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there, I just wanted to tell you that I did your tutorial with the supplies I had. It was so much fun. I took pictures of my process and put them on my blog. I of course gave you credit for the original tutorial. You can see my post here: http://myartjam.blogspot.com/2016/05/butterfly-in-flight-tag.html

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo