Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Meandering Cats And Dogs

Hello everyone, hope this finds you well.  I can't believe a week has gone by since I last posted, the warmer weather has me spending more time outside and the week has just flown by.  And speaking of flying some very special guests have returned to spend the summer with us, the hummingbirds have returned!


The Rufous hummingbird males are always the first to arrive, their colours are so beautiful.  I spied this guy hiding deep inside one of our oriental lilac bushes.


I noticed yesterday that a little Calliope male hummingbird has also arrived but he's rather shy so I haven't been able to get a picture of him yet.  Soon the females will follow and then we will have hundreds of these beautiful and endlessly entertaining little birds whirring about the feeders, I can't wait!

I did manage to get one project done this week, another meandering book showed up in my mail box for our ongoing swap at the Mixed Media Studio (click here to read about the premise for this swap and click here to see the first book that I worked on).  This book's theme was 'Cats and Dogs' and since I just recently received the Crazy Cats dies to go along with my Crazy Cat stamps I knew immediately what I was going to use for the 'cat' component.


These stamps are so much fun, I love the expressions on the cat's faces!  I created a digital background printed on heavy cardstock and then stamped & die cut the cat, the ball of wool and the fish skeleton after colouring everything with Distress inks.

And then for the 'dog' page, I went searching in my vintage photo files and found this adorable picture of a young girl with this big 'ol hound dog (courtesy of Vintage Everyday).


I printed the photo onto heavy cardstock and then slightly colourized it with some Distress inks and frayed the edges for a time worn appearance.  The background is just a piece of card coloured with various colours of Distress inks in brown with some water spritz and flick that I sewed onto the meandering book page.  The sentiment is from Wendy Vecchi's 'Just Say It' background stamp set.  So book number two is now completed and on it's way to the next person so they can add their page adornments and I await the arrival of book number three; I wonder what that books theme will be and what I will do for it?

I'm working on some ATC's right now for another swap, the theme is 'May Flowers', and I hope to have them completed today and will take some pictures and post them soon.  Hope the weather is lovely wherever you may be and that you have some signs of Spring in your neck of the woods as well (unless you happen to be Down Under, in which case I hope that your Fall weather is lovely too!).  Have a great week everyone and happy creating,

Deb xo

14 comments:

  1. Pretty hummingbirds. I've never had much luck attracting them.
    Love your pages. That cat is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks to me like your parts of the meandering book are just precious Deb. Both are so fun and darling. I can't decide which one I like the best - it's just too tough!! Thanks bunches for a delightful way to end my day!!! j.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, beautiful birds. You're quick with the camera to get their photos. That crazy cat trying to make that hard decision is so cute! And the image of the darling little girl with the big ole hound dog is just priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We rarely see hummingbirds here. They're so interesting. Nice pictures! Love your book pages. That Bloodhound photo is fab! Your inking makes it very special!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my - this is such a wonderful post. You just reminded me I need to get my humming bird feeder out! I do love those crazy cats - haven't used mine yet but I love the card you have made with him - yes it does have a look of a him!! The child with the dog is wonderful!!
    sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must be such a delight to have hummers in the garden - and such beauties at that!! Sadly there are none over here.

    I love the crazy cat image, you are so right about the expressions on their faces, this one is a favourite. As for the girl with the hound - it is an absolute delight! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to see your "summer residents" show up! Our's should be here any day. With our mild winter the ducks and shorebirds came in a month early. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful to see those exquisite hummingbirds up close - don't let the crazy cat get hold of them, will you?! Still, he seems more interested in fish than birds, so fingers crossed. Love that marvellous tinted photo too - altogether a lovely post.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so love those cat dies and your pages look great. Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post, Deb! Wow - hummers already! Absolutely gorgeous photos..... and love these cute cards! Especially that cat..... purr-fect!! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous ATC's Deb! Love your sweet doggie and crazy cat, fun and adorable! I'm so in love with your hummingbird photos, I've yet to see one around here!! Gotta get me one of those feeders for sure! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is my kind of book! That cat is so funny and awesome and the girl with the dog is totes adorable! Your meandering books are so fun! Wonderful and fantabulous! Hugz! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow those hummingbirds are real beauties, and your cats and dogs are such fun! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love seeing your hummingbird! I don't think I've ever seen one still before! Gorgeous! And speaking of gorgeous, love your little meandering book--that cat is so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo