Saturday, April 30, 2016

Mosaic Singing Bird Tag

Hello everyone, I'm just squeaking in under the wire with my April 12 Tags of 2016 to link up with the ongoing challenge over at Tim Holtz's blog.  There is actually still 9 hours left until the link up closes so lots of time right?!

The technique remix that Tim used for this month's tag was faux mosaic from March, 2012 and paint resist from November, 2015 and Tim mixed it up even further on his tag by using his new Distress Paper Mosaic kit and Distress wood grain cardstock (click here to see a detailed tutorial on how Tim made his tag).  As I had neither of those products nor even a wood grain stamp or stencil I had to go in a completely different direction and consequently my tag looks nothing like Tim's.  I did however use the paint resist technique and did do my own version of paper mosaic so I followed his brief as best I could.


Edited to add:  Honoured to have had my tag chosen as one of Tim Holtz's April winners, thank you so much!


Since I don't have a wood grain stamp or stencil, I used the Blossom stencil with Old Paper Distress paint for the paint resist on my background and then overlaid that with an ombre 'sky' using Tumbled Glass, Stormy Sky and Faded Jeans Distress inks.


I die cut my bird with the Sizzix Birds Bigz die and covered it with some Martha Steward Texture Effect texture paste.  It has a great stucco texture so worked perfectly for my 'grout' background.  Once it had dried, I pieced in my paper mosaic snippets and was going to give everything a coat of Distress collage medium when I spied the Vintage Distress collage medium and decided to use that instead.  Love the aged patina that it gave!


I then glazed each teeny little paper 'tile' with Glossy Accents and can only say thank goodness I had just bought the Ranger fine tip applicator for my Glossy Accents bottle because otherwise I think there would have been a fair amount of cussing going on!

I cut a branch for my bird to perch upon using Tim's Bird Branch die (I just snipped of the bird and will keep him for another project) from some vintage advertising scrapbook paper in my stash


and stamped the 'singing bird' sentiment from Dina Wakely's Scribbly Birds stamp set onto cardstock coloured with Antique Linen Distress ink.


And then it was time to assemble the tag; I used one of Tim's Game Spinners and tied a Typed Token onto it with a piece of twine and then added an Elements Remnant Rub onto a Vial Label and wrapped it around the side of the tag.


I have some very heave jute twine in my stash so I unraveled a piece and used it for the hanger.

The branch was glued to the tag surface and the bird was mounted onto some black fun foam and perched on the branch for a bit of dimension.


I have to admit I was not a fan of the paper mosaic piecing as I was doing it, I'm not the most patient person in the world and this technique requires patience!  But I do love the end result, it really does look like pieces of mosaic tile.

I glued a piece of jute ribbon along the bottom of the tag and then mounted the fussy cut sentiment over top of it with more fun foam.


And that's my April 12 Tags of 2016, better late than never as the saying goes!


Thanks for stopping by today and thanks as always to Tim Holtz for his never ending creative inspiration.  Have a great rest of the weekend and hope you will be able to stop by tomorrow for my Mixed Media Mojo May design team project, I had a lot of fun making it.  Enjoy your weekend and happy creating!

Deb xo

24 comments:

  1. Lovely tags Debs, love this one and the one below. I must have ago at this technique. Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  2. well whatever you did lady it sure is purty. and has lots of detail too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your take, beautifully put together. You did better than me, I missed it completely.
    Happy Sunday.
    Hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I checked out Tim's tag and I have to say I like yours way better. For me, the blue background you used works way better than the dark wood grain. I love the look of the mosaic bird. I can only imagine the HBO words that I would likely say trying to fit all those little pieces though....lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Congrats on your win!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This tag was delightful! Congratulations, Doll!!! ���

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deb...I am loving how you created your tag...The background is perfect in color and show cases the beautiful bird PERFECTLY....GREAT JOB! AND....CONGRATS on your WIN!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your take on Tim's tag, the subtle blue in the background really makes the bird stand out beautifully! Clearly, Tim loved it too because you are one of the winners - way to go Deb!! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful take on Tim's tag! Debs and congratulations on making the top 12 list ! Happy dance time .hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats Deb on your fabulous tag and I just love your bird. It's wonderful
    x catherine

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a beautiful tag. The colors are great together. I love the blue background in particular as it works so well with your mosaic bird. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the detail of the red breast on the bird - reminds me of the first robin of Spring! Congrats on your win!

    ReplyDelete
  13. love this - and well done on your win xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic job, Deb. The ombre background is fab and the mosaic bird is pieced together beautifully. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your win!! I love your tag!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry I am just now over. I LOVE your take!!! That bird is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sorry, too! You work wonderfully under pressure, dear! Huge congrats on your win! So well deserved--I LOVE your birdie! hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really lovely Deb, and congratulations on your win xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just absolutely perfect... I LOVE the way this turned out with your blue sky and subtle sun-lit branches in the background! And that bird is it'its own work of art! Topped off with a wonderful sentiment. Ahhhhh! I love your tag. Congrats on your win... Much deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your robin is so sweet (love those touches of text on his breast as well as on the branches). Congrats on your Tim spotlight!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fab Tim tag take! Congrats on your win too. Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your tag! Congrats on winning:) I'm looking for paper mosaic inspiration, so what better place to start from than Tim's tag challenge. I already have my mosaic piece (and like you, I didn't like the fussy process), so now I'm focusing on a background and how to make it all look pretty together. Oh I'm not doing a tag, but ATCs instead.

    Xx Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo