Friday, April 1, 2016

Upcycled Canning Lid Ornament

Hello everyone, it's April 1st and that means that it is time for a new challenge over at Mixed Media Mojo!  This month our challenge theme is Recycle with the added twist of using something metal.

My contribution to our design team's projects this month is a motivational ornament, made with recycled/upcycled canning jar lids.


My mojo has been sadly lacking lately so I made this ornament to hang in my studio to (hopefully!) give me a boost when I am searching for some inspiration.

We do a lot of home canning and I always hated throwing out the metal jar lids after opening a can of preserves, so a few years ago I started to save them.  As it turns out they are a great shape and size for ornaments or labels and when the Recycle theme was proposed at Mixed Media Mojo I knew what I was going to use!


I also have lots of scrapbooking paper bits and bobs in my stash so decided to incorporate them as well into my recycled ornament project.

I first sanded the canning jar lids and gave them a coat of metal primer before painting two of them with Americana Buttermilk acrylic paint.


I then used my finger to add some of Tim Holtz's new Crazing Distress collage medium to the lids here and there and once it was dry highlighted the crazed cracks with Distress crayon (Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain).


The new Doily #2 die turned out to be a perfect size to sandwich between the two lids, so I coloured a piece of copy paper with Tea Dye Distress ink and die cut the doily.  I scrunched it up to make it look old and worn and then added more Tea Dye Distress ink to highlight the edges and folds.


I coloured a length of Crinkle Ribbon with green Distress ink (Twisted Citron and Peeled Paint) and adhered it to the inside of the lids for a hanger.  I then sandwiched the doily between the two lids and glued it all together with E6000, clamping it and leaving it to dry overnight.


While waiting for the glue to dry, I made some die cut flowers with remnants of scrapbook paper from Tim Holtz's Wallflower paper stash, using the Tiny Tattered Florals Thinlits dies and the Tattered Florals Bigz die.


I used some iridescent blue seed beads to create the centers on my Tattered Florals flowers.

The sentiment banners were created from white cardstock that I coloured with Twisted Citron Distress ink and some spritz and flick with water.


The banners were stamped with Black Soot Archival ink and sentiments from Wendy Vecchi's Just Say It background stamp (here's a hint from Wendy, cut the background stamp apart and you will have a multitude of wonderful sentiments to add to your projects!).

And then it was time to assemble, I used E6000 again to glue the flowers and banners onto the ornament to make sure they would stay adhered to the painted metal surface.

Front of ornament:



Back of ornament:



As a finishing touch, I coloured a couple of metal leaf and flower charms with Rust, Caramel and Black alcohol inks and attached them to the top of the ribbon hanger with a rusty safety pin.


So that is my contribution to this month's Recycle challenge (with the added twist of using metal) at Mixed Media Mojo.


I hope that you will be able to head on over to Mixed Media Mojo to see the projects that my fellow design team members have created to inspire you and that you will join in the fun this month, I'd love to see what you can create from the contents of your recycle bin!

I'd like to link my ornament with the following challenge:

Mixed Media Monthly Challenge #23 'Dimension'


Thanks as always for stopping by and happy creating!

Deb xo

19 comments:

  1. I like this idea very much Deb! I might use card instead and see what happens. Haven't used the TH Tattered Florals die for ages. Hop[e you get some inspiration from your art pieces now. I sure have!
    thanks
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Deb! What a genius recycling project! Love your flowers too, so vintage and wonderful. hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used jar lids for Valentine ornaments a couple years ago. The lids are fun to decorate. Yours turned out great! Like the antique-y theme and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I had your creative flair, Deb! These are just so pretty and perfect for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! The doily is so pretty in the background. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb, these ornies look great! Of course, silly me pictured the "ring" section of the lid and I just couldn't see it in your photo...hahaha. You can tell I am not a canner. Otherwise I would have known immediately the difference between the canning lid and canning ring. (I think those are the terms). These should help you greatly with new and amazing inspiration. I love your paper flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fab Deb, a great idea and I love your flowers. Have a fun weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea. I've made ornaments from canning jar lids before after seeing some on the internet somewhere. Maybe it was even here, I don't recall. I like how you used two lids for the this one and the colors are great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am totally in love with the doily die Deb and I just love how you used it here. These will be wonderful hanging in your studio, whether you need inspiration or not!! Fabulous up-cycling! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such fun and creative projects! Love the beautiful homemade blossoms! Thanks for joining along with the MMMC :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous idea and brilliant make Deb, I just love the doily used between the lids and the gorgeous flowers you have added.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    Hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool recycled projects! Thanks so much for joining us at the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are lovely Deb, what a great idea to use metal lids. I don't think I will ever be able to do that as my mother makes a lot of jam so the jars and lids are all spoken for !

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so wonderfully creative, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  15. great idea to upcycle a mason jar lid! Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good evening, Deb,
    It is nice to see what you have been up to. I have all of my mother's canning lids. This is a great idea!

    Enjoy what's left of the weekend. ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  17. what beautiful and creative upcycling Deb! love your flowers - they almost look like lichen on the trees - pretty beaded centers too! I'm sure these will give you great inspiration hanging in your craft space!! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great upcycle project! Love those flowers and the lace Doily. Sorry I'm so late! My Internet has been sooooo slow! I have to reload with every move I make! Ugg!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a brilliant bit of recycling. I've just joined in at MMM - so glad I did as I missed this at the time. What a great idea to use the lids, and I love how the doily die-cut adds that frilly frame. The flowers are just a treat - definitely joyful!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo