Thursday, May 5, 2016

Celebrating My Style With Anything But Cute

Hello everyone, I am so glad you stopped by today as I have some wonderful news to share with you.  Back in March, Pamellia from the Anything But Cute challenge blog contacted me to let me know that I had been chosen as one of ABC's favourite artists of the year, what an honour!  She asked if I'd be interested in doing a guest designer post for them as they celebrate their one year anniversary and I of course jumped at the chance. (This is my first of two posts today, if you are looking for my Creative Guide post for A Vintage Journey, click here).

Anything But Cute's theme for their anniversary celebration is 'Celebrate Your Style'


and the brief was to create a mixed media project in our own way and in our favourite style.  It's no secret that my favourite style is vintage and that I am always inspired by Mother Nature so here is the mixed media reverse canvas that I created for Anything But Cute's anniversary celebration.


I just purchased Tim Holtz's Layered Dragonfly die and embossing folder so this seemed like the perfect opportunity to use it and I have to say I love how this piece turned out!  I took some step by step photos as I created it so grab a cup of your favourite beverage and read on.

I started out with a 6" x 8" stretched artists canvas and covered it inside and out with a coat of gesso.  The inner recess was then painted with a graduated wash of blue acrylic paints from my stash.  I covered the sides of the reversed canvas with some cigar band scrapbook paper from Tim Holt'z new Dapper Paper Stash and sealed it all with Distress collage medium.


Next I die cut and embossed the dragonfly from watercolour paper and coloured the dragonfly's body with Distress inks in shades of blue and green with a water brush.  After the inks had dried, I added some blue and pearlescent Perfect Pearls to the dragonfly and then coated it with Distress Rock Candy crackle paint.   While the crackle paint was drying I die cut the dragonfly wings from clear acrylic packaging and embossed them with the coordinating embossing folder.  The dragonfly was then given an inking with Tea Dye Distress ink to highlight the crackled paint finish and the clear acrylic wings were attached.

A piece of cardstock was then coloured with Antique Linen, Tea Dye and Pumice Stone Distress inks, spritzed and flicked with water and spattered lightly with Gathered Twigs and Picket Fence Distress sprays and die cut with the Birch Trees die.  Since the die cut was a little too short to fill the entire length of the reverse canvas recess, I stamped tissue paper with Tree Branch Archival ink and an Inkadinkado Meadow stamp and adhered both the die cut and the stamped tissue paper into the interior of the reverse canvas with Distress collage medium.


I then used Tim Holtz's Wildflowers die to cut some flowers out of kraft cardstock and die cut the flowers again from black fun foam.  The fun foam was adhered behind the kraft cardstock die cuts and then the flowers were glued over top of the birch trees and stamped wildflowers.

It was at this point that I got on a roll and forgot to take any more in process pictures so I'll show you some close ups of the finished project and explain what I did, sorry about that!  I had a Tim Holtz 'Presence of Wonder' stamp that I wanted to use for the sentiment but it was a little to large for this project so I stamped it onto some paper, scanned it into my computer and resized it, and then printed it out onto some heavy white cardstock.  I then die cut the sentiment with a Sizzix Sizzlits Ornate Label #4 die and backed it with some scrapbook paper from the Dapper Paper Stash.


The stark white cardstock was looking a little too new for my liking, so I coated the label with Vintage Distress collage medium and when that was dry added a coat of Crazing Distress collage medium.  When that had dried, I coloured the label with Vintage Photo Distress ink and wiped it back to reveal all of those wonderful little crazed cracks, much better!

Flowers were then die cut with the Tiny Tattered Florals die from some Dapper scrapbook paper and blue cardstock from my stash and leaves were die cut from green textured cardstock.


A wee bit of Star Dust glitter glue was added to the centers of the flowers after they were adhered to the frame.

More flowers were die cut from the Dapper scrapbook paper using the smallest flower on the Tattered Florals Bigz die and a faceted gem was added to the centers of these flowers.


The butterflies were die cut from a scrap I had in my stash from a previous project, using the Butterfly Tendrils die from Simon Says Stamp (no longer available I'm afraid to say).  I added a teeny tiny butterfly from the same die cut to the top of one of the wildflowers.


I adhered the dragonfly to the frame of the reverse canvas to give the illusion that he was hovering over top of the birch trees and wildflowers.


 And here's a picture from the side to show you the dimension of the acrylic wings.


So there is my contribution to Anything But Cute's 'Celebrate Your Style' anniversary challenge.


 I'd like to thank Pamellia and the design team at Anything But Cute for the amazing honour of being chosen as one of their favourite artists, there are so many incredibly talented folks around blogland that I feel like I won the lottery!  I do hope that you will head on over ABC to see the amazing creations from the design team and other guest designers and that you will also 'Celebrate Your Style' and join in the fun.  Can't wait to see what you create!  Thank you as always for stopping by and happy creating,

Deb xo


23 comments:

  1. WOW WOW WOW!!! Deb, you just knocked it out of the park with this beauty! You have truly shown us a project with all of the most amazing 'Deb-style' elements! A dash of Tim Holtz, a dash of vintage, a dash of nature and a whole of style!! What a treat to get to watch you put this together, I feel like a fly on your craft room wall. lol. The acetate wings is the cherry on the cake, LOVE LOVE LOVE!!

    Thank you so much for all of your support and inspiration over the last year and for joining us this month in celebrating our first blogiversary! It's an honour to have you with us and I think your for all of your kind words. Can't wait to see what you create in year 2!! hugs my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work! I especially like the crackled die cut on the top and those little flowers :)
    Hugs
    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!!!! Very exciting and you will have fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely stunning! Seriously Deb this is just gorgeous and so very beautiful, I love it and would love to own this to display it. Big congrats, you art is wonderful Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Debs on your Anniversary Guest design spot at ABC What an honour to be invited. You have definitely done your invite justice as your altered frame is wonderful and your mother nature inspiration shines through in this beauty .
    hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty, pretty Deb-style wall art piece! I really love the weeds die. I've been using them on my scrapbook pages and recently a postcard. I'm taking lessons from you for how they look best. :-) Congrats on being chosen as a great designer of inspiration for the blog and being recognized. It is well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, oh, oh Deb, this is a 'Dapper' masterpiece, I love every single little detail, from the gorgeous cigar label paper to the stunning dragonfly (one of my all time favs). The crazing on the label is superb - done to perfection! I hope you hang this somewhere in your house where it can be admired by all. You are such a talented designer, I am not surprised you are in demand!

    This piece really does celebrate your style and it is wonderful to have you as a Guest! Big hugs, Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's absolutely fantastic Deb! Wonderful details & great composition!
    Looks like you had a great time making this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO pretty Deb! I love the colors and beautiful design on this - great choice of papers - and your dragonfly looks ready to take flight - layered above the grassses in the background! A Lovely reverse frame wall hanging! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deb, no surprise that you are one of ABC's favorite artists! You're one of my favorite artists as well! Congratulations! And this amazing piece is just one more example of why you are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning project, Deb - a worthy celebration of your style as well as ABC's anniversary. I love the natural elements and colour palette, and the detailing is, as always, perfection - the tape on the frame, the mottled tree bark, the amazing dragonfly. Congratulations on a well-deserved spotlight as one of ABC's favourites!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is truly beautiful! I loved it as soon as I saw it! So many fabulous details to take in - just like a trip to the countryside! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful canvas Deb,,,such a stunning dragonfly x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Deb this is absolutely brilliant, so many wonderful little details, it really is a stunner xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. You ARE the lottery, dear and we won YOU! Thank you so much for being one of our FAVORITE ARTISTS and making this amazing project for our first birthday celebration at Anything But Cute. What an amazing piece of art it is, too, and with your style just oozing from every nook and cranny--I love your style! Love that dragonfly and how your used the mediums on your sentiment label. Oh, boy, I'm impressed with that re-sizing trick you did! I can barely upload my photos, let alone re-size anything! Your natural scene is just beautiful and so, so in your style! Beautiful! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow, this is absolutely amazing!! I love, love the details!! The dragonfly is gorgeous!! The background is amazing!! I love the cracked label for the sentiment, too!! What a stunning project this is!! I'm so glad you joined in with our Anything But Cute celebration!! You did such an amazing job!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  17. congrats on being chosen and may I say this is a stunning project. I just love everything about it

    ReplyDelete
  18. Deb! Where aren't you posting these days. AMAZING project.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Woo hoo Deb what a wonderful accolade for you and so well deserved. You are an amazing artist full of creativity and brilliant ideas that you transform into beautiful art. Love this piece that you have put together to celebrate, it is incredibly inspirational xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is gorgeous Deb, love it to bits. Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Deb, my address is
    7777 Need This Design Now St
    Hopeful, Artist 1177
    What a GORGEOUS and stunning design! Genius idea to use the tissue paper to cover the smaller die, I never would have known! Everything about this design is amazeballs and so awesome sauce! I can totally see that you captured your style in this! Wowzers!

    Thank you for joining in our celebration at Anything But Cute and huge congrats on being one of our Favorite Artists! You rocked this challenge! Hugz! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  22. Deb, this is such a great concept and everything is in the perfect place! So happy to have you as a guest designer at Anything But Cute! Your 3D projects always amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Deb this is such a gorgeous canvas. The background is stunning & the dragonfly is absolute perfection! Love! Love! Love!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo