Sunday, May 1, 2016

May Flowers ATB

Welcome everyone, it's the first day of May (how in the heck did that happen?!) and time for a new challenge over at Mixed Media Mojo.  This month our challenge theme is Flowers with the twist of adding stitching, either real or faux.


I decided to use an ATB (artists trading block) that I had made for another project and then not used and adorned it with handmade fabric flowers.


The twist of stitching came into play when I did a little hand and machine stitching on the flower centers and leaves, read on if you'd like to see how I made it!

I started out by die cutting some white cotton sheeting fabric with Tim Holtz's Tattered Florals die and then dyed the various flower parts with shades of Distress inks in blues and purples.  I just 'smooshed' some inks on my non-stick craft mat, spritzed them with water and dragged the flower die cuts through the puddles.   Next I stamped the flower parts with Tim Holtz's Ledger Script stamp and Watering Can Archival ink and assembled the various petals to make my flowers.


Stitching came next, I sewed the 'stamens' in the centers of some of the flowers with my sewing machine using dark brown thread and for the others hand stitched some French knots with green embroidery floss.  I then painted the flowers with Mod Podge fabric stiffener and dried them with my heat tool, gently shaping the petals as they dried.

Leaves came next die cut from the same white cotton sheeting fabric with the Sizzix Arbor die.  I coloured the leaves in the same manner as the flowers with various shades of green Distress inks and hand embroidered a line of stitching down the centers of the leaves with green embroidery floss.  They were also painted with fabric stiffener and dried and shaped with a heat tool.


I wanted a 'mossy' bed for my flowers to nestle in so I dyed cheesecloth with the same colours of Distress inks as I'd used for the leaves.  The ATB, made from kraft coloured corrugated cardstock and cut with Eileen Hull's ATB die, was covered here and there with some Wendy Vecchi Crackle texture paste and once it was dry I added some Twisted Citron Distress ink overtop of the white texture paste.  I then sprayed the ATB with Prima Color Bloom spray in Lime Wedge to accentuate the cracks on the texture paste and gave the whole thing a spritzing of Picket Fence Distress spray before shading the edges with Vintage Photo Distress ink.

It was then time to assemble the ATB, I pulled out some images from Tim Holtz's Emporium and Thrift Shop Ephemera packs that I thought would compliment the flowers and started layering.


For the top of the ATB, I also die cut a little scalloped tag with Tim Holtz's Tag die set and stamped it with a butterfly and the word 'Imagine' from stamps in my stash.  To echo the butterfly image, I then die cut a butterfly with a Simon Says Stamp Butterflies die from some Tim Holtz Mirrored sheets. I die cut it twice, reversing the one die cut, so I could adhere them together back to back so there was a mirrored surface on both sides.


I nestled the mirrored butterfly in amongst the flower petals, love how the flower is reflected in it!

I then continued to adorn each side of the ATB with the flowers, leaves and ephemera images, here are some pictures of each side.


(The little bee was die cut with the Spellbinder's Laurel and Bee die set).




I had some flat green beads in my stash so I used them as 'feet' for my ATB.

Thanks so much for stopping by today and I hope that you have enjoyed seeing my May Flowers ATB.


If you have a minute, pop on by Mixed Media Mojo to see what my team mates have created for our May challenge and hope that you will be inspired to link up your own floral creations and join in the fun!

I'd like to link my May Flowers ATB up with the It's A Charmed Life challenge over at Emerald Creek Dares where they are celebrating Moms with charms, bling and other embellishments.  I don't have a lot of bling on my ATB other than my mirrored butterfly but I do have lots of embellishments so hope it will qualify!

Have a great week everyone and happy creating!

Deb xo



10 comments:

  1. Very nice. I really like how you did the flowers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love an ATB but I love it even more when it has gorgeous hand stitched flowers and beautiful butterflies - this is really beautiful Deb! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous ATB Deb and I adore how you used the sewing on the beautiful flowers, ingenious.
    Hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic ATB Deb, love those flowers!! It just sings Spring to me, so cleverly put together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GORGEOUS ATB!!! I love the corrugate and all that color, and sewing too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant ATB, Deb, I had already pinned on my Pinterest!
    Thanks for joining the fun at Emerald creek this fortnight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Deb, I love these Spring colours xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous ATB, love using corrugated paper to make them with. Fabulous flower!!! Thanks for joining us on the Emerald Creek Supplies Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful flowers Deb, and congrats on your success with the design teams and Tim Holtz tags

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, this is just delightful - I love the contrast between the rugged corrugated cardboard and the vivid, delicate flower petals... a brilliant ATB!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo