Thursday, May 19, 2016

Meandering Book Take Three

Hello everyone, sorry for my absence from blogland but our summer-like weather has been calling me outside.  We've been hiking and going for rides on the ATV's, working in the garden and enjoying the sunshine.  Reality has set back in today and it is cooler and raining but it was fun while it lasted!

I received the third meandering book in our ongoing round robin swap for the Mixed Media Studio ( you can see the first two books that I added my pages too and sent on their way here and here) and as this book's owner didn't specify a theme I decided to do a couple of vintage nature themed pages since that's what I love to make!  The first page is a collage of Tim Holtz's Fragments showcasing the wonderful Botanical Tea paper collection by Graphic 45.


I aged the fragments with some Mushroom alcohol ink (see Paula Cheney's description of the technique here), glued them overtop of some selected images from the paper collection and adhered the fragments to another piece of Botanical Tea paper that had the edges distressed and inked.  The butterfly (from the $1 store) was inked with Tattered Rose and Vintage Photo Distress inks and popped up slightly on some fun foam.

For the second page, I used one of my new Southern Ridge Trading Company chipboard frames that happened to be the perfect size to fit on the meandering book page.  I simply coloured the frame with some Vintage Photo Distress ink and then added gold foil randomly as demonstrated by Tim Holtz for his November 12 Tags of 2015 here.


The cardstock background was coloured with multiple shades of blue Distress inks, some spritz and flick with water and random stamping with a script stamp and Potting Soil Archival ink.  The Wildflower die made yet another appearance, water coloured with Distress inks this time, and to continue the gold theme on the frame I used some Antique Gold Rub 'n Buff on a bird and branch embellishment (bought at Walmart years ago).  The dream Typed Tokens was coloured with alcohol inks and Tattered Rose Distress paint and a small heart stud (used to echo the hearts in the corners of the chipboard frame) was coloured with more Rub 'n Buff and adhered on top of the typed token.  It's so much fun to get these meandering books and add pages and as the books have now visited more people before making it to me, it is great to see what others have added as well.

I also finished another of the 4x4 technique book pages that we've been swapping (you can see my previous pages here and here), this month we were to make a page demonstrating a faux metal technique.  I used two great tutorials to make my page, the first was for a faux rusted metal by Jenny Marples and the second was for a faux tarnished silver by Shelly Hickox.


I used a We R Memory Keepers chevron embossing folder on the background and the gears were die cut using Tim Holtz's new Gadget Gears 2 die (which coordinates perfectly with his original Gadget Gears die).  The next 4x4 technique page we are to create is faux leather techniques so I'll post a pic of it once I get it completed.

I'll leave you today with a little collage I made on PicMonkey of some of the columbine wildflowers that are currently in bloom in the garden.  The variety of colours is wonderful and the bees love them as well which is always a bonus for any garden!


Our snowball viburnum bush is just about at it's full glory so I'll post some pictures of it soon and our peonies should be blooming any day now so be prepared for lots of flower pictures over the next while LOL!

Thank you as always for stopping by and I will be back on Monday on Mixed Media Mojo with an art journal page so hope to see you then.  If you are celebrating a long weekend as we are here in Canada this coming weekend have a wonderful time, let the summer camping season begin!  Happy creating (and camping!),

Deb xo

11 comments:

  1. Deb, the pages you made for the book are very cool looking. I love all the techniques you applied and the 3-D-ness of these pages. And you rusty gear page is awesome too. Love the looks of the faux metallics. The Columbine are gorgeous. I love those dainty delicate flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you Deb loving the gardening and enjoying being outside a bit more but also seeing your amazing pages full of technique and ideas. I'd love to do some meandering pages, you've given me an idea lol. Have a great weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous work Deb. I would love to do this meandering but not sure we have anything like it in the UK. Thank you for sharing these lovely projects with us, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pages are just beautiful! And love the metal embossing. I certainly can't blame you for wanting to enjoy the summer sun before it bakes us! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just beautiful Deb! I love the color choices! Also, the floral photos are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post Deb, your pages are so beautiful with the aged fragments and your tile project is fantastic. LOVE the Columbine from your garden too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. a post full of pretty stuff today and I don't blame you for wanting to be outside enjoying the beautiful weather

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you have been busy. I love the pictures of the columbines! It will still be a few weeks before our flowers bloom up here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous pages. I love all the dimension! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep those photos coming, they are beautiful! And more luscious art, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jeepers - I've been missing some real treasures... love these pages, the vintage fragments especially. And your flower photography is gorgeous.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo