Thursday, May 5, 2016

Sew Special To Me

Hello again and welcome!  It's time for a new challenge over at A Vintage Journey and this month the theme is Sew Special (this is my second post today, if you are looking for my guest designer post for Anything But Cute click here).

Jenny is our hostess this month at A Vintage Journey and here is her brief for our May challenge theme.

Add fabric to your entry in some way be it felt, burlap, ribbon or cloth and if you're really feeling brave maybe include a touch of real or faux stitching!

This month we are proud to be sponsored by the wonderful people over at Calico Craft Parts.  They are a family run UK business specializing in wood craft products, check out their amazing range at www.calicocraftparts.co/uk.

I took Jenny's prompt at face value and added just about everything in her brief to my project except burlap!   A special blogging friend has just generously sent me a lovely package so I took this opportunity to create something extra special for her.  She is a wonderful seamstress so the theme was perfect and I made her a card and a little needle book.


I made the card first and utilized lots of Tim Holtz elements that had a sewing theme; a needle and thread blueprint stamp from the Simon Says Stamp Stamptember 2014 limited release, scrapbook paper from the Crowded Attic paper stash and the new Stitched Oval dies.


I stamped the needle and thread image onto a piece of coffee stained muslin and coloured the spool with Vintage Photo and Brushed Corduroy Distress ink.


I sewed around the spool of thread randomly with some heavy black thread and then made a 'needle', the same size and shape as the stamped needle, from a piece of rusty wire and threaded it with the black thread after inserting it through the stamped image.


I ripped and fringed the muslin to size and randomly sewed around the edges with my sewing machine (you'll note that the tension was all messed up but I kind of like it!)

I die cut a frame from the Stitched Ovals dies as well as die cutting two of the scalloped borders from black Core-dinations cardstock.


The die cuts were then lightly sanded to reveal the lighter coloured core.

A piece of sewing pattern scrapbook paper from Tim's Crowded Attic paper stash was cut to size slightly smaller than the kraft card blank I was using and the edges were distressed with the Tonic distress tool.  The stamped muslin, oval frame and borders were adhered to the scrapbook paper and then the whole piece was attached to the front of the card.


I stamped the sentiment again onto cardstock coloured with Tea Dye distress stain, heat embossed with clear embossing powder and then cut it out and mounted it on some black fun foam for some dimension.

Four mismatched vintage buttons from my stash were threaded with black embroidery floss and adhered to the four corners of the card front.


As a finishing touch, I stamped a dress form image from an old Crafty Secrets stamp set inside of the card with some Vintage Photo Archival ink.


Then it was time to work on the needle book.


I die cut two covers from kraft cardstock using Eileen Hull's Needle Book die and embossed one of them with Tim Holtz's Rulers embossing folder.


The raised embossing was highlighted with some Potting Soil Archival ink and then the two cardstock covers were glued together for strength.

 I stamped the inside covers with various sewing related images from the Crafty Secrets stamp set and heat embossed them with clear embossing powder.


The whole cover was then sealed with matte Distress Collage medium to protect it from wear and tear.

I die cut two of the needle book closures, one from kraft cardstock and one from a script scrapbook paper, and adhered them together.  A small button was tied with black embroidery floss and adhered to the closing strap to echo the buttons on the card and I used a Velcro dot as a closure for the needle book.


The dress form was die cut from black cardstock with Tim Holtz's Mini Sewing Room movers and shapers die and adhered to the front cover of the needle book to echo the dress form stamped inside the card.

Two pieces of heavy cream felt were cut to size and sewn into the needle book with a length of Crinkle Ribbon.


With the two 'pages' of felt, my friend will have plenty of space to store her needles and pins.

Thanks so much for stopping by (again!) today and I do hope that you've enjoyed seeing my contribution to our Sew Special challenge at A Vintage Journey.


Please make sure to hop on over to A Vintage Journey to see what my fellow Creative Guides have made to inspire you, they are as always simply amazing!  Hope that you will break out your fabric, ribbon and needle and thread to join in the fun and link up your projects at AVJ, we can't wait to see what you will create!  Have fun and as always, happy creating!

Deb xo

22 comments:

  1. I just love your little stamped spool of thread on the muslin Deb - with the thread wrapped around the spool - so pretty framed in the distressed oval and scalloped edges - and your little needle book is so sweet with the ruler embossing and pretty buttoned tab! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stitching blogging friend is one lucky girl to be getting this great card from you! I would have it on display all the time. I really love all the great details you thought of to include. I love the troubled thread tension. Purely delightful card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love this Deb, a gorgeous design and beautifully put together. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your sewing themed project very much Deb, I had to keep going back to look because although I love your card and the fantastic needle book, it is the little rusty needle that caught my eye - that is just so very clever, it looks fabulous! Love this, a lot! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous card and needle book ! Deb - Your friend will love them I'm sure. Like Anne I just LOVE that rusty threaded needle - a clever bit of crafting , wondeful touch !
    have a lovely weekend
    hugs
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant idea for a card Deb. You made great use of the dies, then to finish it off with the needle book was a triumph. Happy crafty weekend, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic project Deb, the card is wonderful and I just love the little needlebook to go along with it, super project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. CUTE CUTE CUTE!!! I love the little sewing kit, but the needle on the thread was brilliant! LOVE that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous Debs - what a wonderful idea for the spool stamp and the dies. Such a wonderfully inspired take on the current challenge. Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love both of these. At first I thought your scalloped borders and oval frame were denim. Great idea using the wire to make the needle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deb this is amazing, so pretty and clever, and I love how you made your own needle. Have a great weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the vintage neutrals and brilliant layering of the different panels. Great fabric stamping and so beautifully tinted. It's a gorgeous take on the theme.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is just fabulous Deb! Every last detail is perfection! <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful card and needle book Deb. Love how you created your 3 D needle a clever touch. I'm sure your friend will love your gift to her.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just so incredibly beautiful and now I need the stitched ovals having seen you use them so effectively! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love everything about this Deb, the way you stamped on the fabric and actually sewed.
    The needle book is sew special as well with the embossed cover and all the great details. Love it. S@ndy xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cute and useful needle book. I absolutely love the design and elements :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Too clever! Love the beautiful card and that sewing kit is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is really something special. Really lovely. Thank you for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo