Sunday, May 29, 2016

The Journey May 12 Tags Of 2016

Hello everyone, hope you are having a great weekend and happy Memorial Day long weekend to my friends in the U.S.  It's been pouring buckets of rain here all weekend but I am trying not to complain as we desperately need the moisture.  Now the snow that could possibly fall this evening when our temperatures are forecast to hit 2 C (36 F) I will definitely complain about; hello, it's nearly June!

As the weather has been less than stellar, I've been working away in my studio getting some projects completed.  I worked on Tim Holtz's May 12 Tags of 2016 first; this month the tag is a remix of his tissue tape resist technique from August, 2014 and tattered florals from May 2015 (click here to see Tim's full tutorial).  As is usually the case, my tag looks nothing like Tim's but for me that is the fun and challenge of his 12 Tags series, exploring the techniques and seeing where they can take you.


I have to admit to nearly trashing this tag, I was not at all happy with where it was going and was having a heck of a time with the tissue tape resist technique but decided to persist and am actually quite happy with where it ended up in the end.

I did have to cheat with the tissue tape resist, I kept losing my stamped image overtop of the Symphony tissue tape so ended up stamping it again onto some tissue paper and collaging it on top of the stamped image (the car is from Tim's new Vintage Auto stamp set).


Not true to the technique but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do!

I used Tim's new mini gears stencil to apply the texture paste (from the Mini Layering Stencil set #1) and coloured the Word band with Peacock Feathers Distress crayon, Rust alcohol ink and some Burnt Sienna Acrylic paint.


I used some rusty wire to hold the word band in place.

To echo the sewing and fabric component on Tim's tag, I sewed a snippet of burlap onto my tag with my sewing machine.


I made the Tiny Tattered Florals from some Coredinations cardstock in neutral colours to coordinate with the more masculine colour palette of my tag.

I have some Words remnant rubs that have become adhered to the cardboard backing in the packaging, so I cut out the words 'good life', coloured the cardboard with Vintage Photo Distress ink and adhered them behind a fragment of Film Strip ribbon.


The top of the burlap strip was looking a little bare but I didn't want to totally cover up the stitching or the burlap texture so took a small Fragments and added an Elements gear shaped remnant rub to the back of it.  Love finding out all the surfaces that you can add remnant rubs to, so far I haven't found a darn thing I can't get them to adhere to!

And for the finishing touch, I added some sisal twine and woven ribbon, bound together with more rusty wire.


Love all that yummy texture!

I also finished up my first project for the Southern Ridge Trading Company design team but I can''t share it with you until mid June when my first DT post will be published.  I will give you a little sneak peek though, it turned out so great!


Thanks so much for stopping by today and hope you'll head on back on June 1st when I'll have a new post to share with you for the June challenge at Mixed Media Mojo.  Until then, take care and as always happy creating!

Deb xo

13 comments:

  1. Just sensational Deb love how you gave made the remix totally your own. Hope the weather improves for you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great take on Tims tag! Debs. Love the grunginess of those textured gears .
    Hope the weather is much improved today x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A brilliant take on Tim's tag Deb, love how you did the car, the image is so much clearer.... wish I had thought of that ! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great looking tag. I thought maybe you had printed the words good life on your computer and was going to ask what font you used. I wonder what font he uses for his remnant rubs :)
    Hope you didn't get that snow. It's far to late in the year for that. The rainy weather is good for getting in some crafting time

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just so love this tag. Love the car and all that gorgeous texture. Happy crafting, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tag, Deb! Those projects that we persist with because we demand that they not let us down based on our original plan, usually become favorites in the end. We go kicking and screaming but the project seems to know best in the end. Can't wait to see what your sneak peek is all about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous project!!Such a great take on the original Absolutely love how you put this together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love those gears and the colours you have used x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous tag Deb and your car is the perfect finishing touch to your design.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grrrreat tag!!! Love the car, the detailing is really cool. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is perfect Deb, I love your stencilling. It's been sooo cold here today too, the heating is back on and it's June grrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that yummy texture as well! And I just cannot wait until mid-June!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this take on Tim's tag - even if you did have to cheat! The stencilled texture is great, and the colours work brilliantly.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo