Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Eye Of The Beholder

Hello everyone, just a quick pop in today to share my June 12 Tags Of 2016 with you as the month of June is rapidly disappearing!  Tim Holtz's June tag is a remix of his tissue wrap collage from January 2015 (that was the very first Tim tag I ever made!) and stencil plaid from June 2015Click here to take a look at Tim's tag and tutorial because as usual, mine is nothing like his LOL!


Tim changed up his two techniques this month by stamping images onto his new Plain Tissue Wrap rather than using one of the pre-printed collage tissue wraps and by doing the stenciled plaid technique on one of his new Textile Surfaces.  As is usual, I had neither the plain tissue wrap nor the textile surfaces (nor do I have his Dapper die or substrate sheets that he used!) so it was time to do some brainstorming and see what I could come up with.

I decided to stamp some of the images from Tim's new Sideshow stamps onto some plain wrapping tissue I had in my stash.  It is more like thin newsprint than the shiny white tissue paper you usually think of and takes inking very well (think it came from when they wrapped some items I bought at HomeSense?)


The Sideshow stamps remind me of graffiti so I decided to die cut the stamped tissue tag with the brick pattern die from the Mixed Media #3 set.

Now what to do about the textile surface?  I had some unbleached cotton muslin, so I used Distress collage medium to adhere it to a piece of cardstock and once it was dry I monoprinted and stenciled it with Tim's Speckles layering stencil.  I didn't feel that the plaid stenciling technique went with my more urban industrial theme so decided not to use it.


I die cut the muslin covered cardstock with the #8 Tag Collection die and layered it underneath the brick die cut tag.  Tim had used some stitching on his tag but it didn't really mesh with my theme so I decided to add some random stapling instead.


I also added some jute twine to the bottom and coloured the edges and the staples with some Walnut Stain and Vintage Photo Distress crayons.  I then went totally off piste and stamped, embossed and fussy cut the Umbrella Man and mounted him on some fun foam over top of the brick.  I had a vision of him stopping to admire (?) the graffiti - just go with me on this one!


And that idea led to the sentiment that I chose 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'.


To echo that sentiment and to reflect back on the viewer, I added some Mirrored Sheet (coloured with Mushroom alcohol ink) to a Charmed finding and attached it to more jute twine with a rusty safety pin.

So that is my interpretation of Tim's June tag, I hope that you have enjoyed seeing it.


I was also hoping to share my homework assignment for Tim's Summer of Creative Chemistry course but I don't have any glossy stamping paper which is pretty crucial to week 4's techniques and my order containing it hasn't arrived yet.  I tried the technique with some photo paper but it was a dismal disaster so I'll just have to be patient and wait for the glossy stamping paper to arrive (not my forte!).  Hope that you'll pop by again when I finally get my homework done (the dog ate it, I swear!) and that you will also come back on June 30th when I'll have two posts to share with you for a couple of my design teams.  Thanks so much for stopping by today and as always, happy creating!

Deb xo

12 comments:

  1. Just wanted to stop by to see your tag up close! Even better than I thought it was going to be. Great choice on the Mixed Media die!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great take on Tim's tag with some clever improvisation! Debs x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, fabulous tag! I love umbrella man and he's perfect there admiring the grafitti in the rain. I love all your tag details! That die cut brick wall is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that you used Umbrella Man...I almost did too. LOVE the background images from that stamp set too...perfect here. Great tag!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tag Deb and love the way you've included the umbrella man. Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Deb, this is brilliant, I love that you used the Speckles stencil, it looks amazing on the brick wall background! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the brick cut out and that speckles stencil is one of my favs! A wonderful version of Tim's June tag Deb! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you interpret things. This is a fantastic tag.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a wonderful tag Deb - I love silhouettes, and this one, with the umbrella is fabulous. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh this is fabulous Deb, I just love the choices you made to make this a brilliant version of the June remix, cleverly designed and constructed xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great take, Deb! Love the stenciling on the fabric. Mine didn't work out, but you have made me want to try again. <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally fabulous tag - love every last little thing about it!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo