Thursday, June 30, 2016

Monochromatic Tag Journals ATB

Hello, thanks for stopping by again today (this is my second post today, if your are looking for my Emerald Creek design team blog post, click here).  It's time for a new challenge over at A Vintage Journey and this month Tracy has asked us to create something with a Monochromatic colour palette, here is her brief:

I love monochromatic themes in artwork; I love the balanced look it gives to a design. If you ever struggle with knowing what colours to use this should be right up your street, one colour alone or hues of one colour (plus black and/or white) - simple! Please just check that your entry is
vintage; shabby; mixed-media; art journalling; industrial or steampunk to be in with a chance of being a winner or Pinworthy mention.

Our generous sponsor this month is The Funkie Junkie Boutique and they are offering up a $25.00 gift certificate to our lucky winner!

As Summer has now officially arrived, I decided to create an ATB in multiple shades of green to house some tag journals I made so I can journal about our holidays and adventures this summer.


I have made three tag journals so far, each with 10 pages, but have lots of room for more if needed (as long as I don't stuff them too tight with embellishements and mementos that is!).  I've a few step by step photos for you on how I made it, enjoy!

I started out with Eileen Hulls Block, Cube, Bank die (it is the same format as her ATB die just a bit smaller) and die cut two cube sides from heavy chipboard packaging.  I then cut off one of the end flaps from one of the die cuts so that I would have an open cube when it was assembled.  The chipboard pieces were covered front and back with two shades of green scrapbook paper from Tim Holtz's Crowded Attic Paper Stash and the cube was assembled.  I added green Stickles glitter glue on all of the seams and around the front opening.  Next I worked on the covers for the tag journals; I die cut three #8 tags from manila with Tim's Tag Collection die and coloured them with multiple colours of green Distress inks, front and back, using the wrinkle free distress technique and spritz and flick with water.  I think I used every shade of green Distress ink that I own!


Mark making came next, again with Distress inks, using assorted bottle caps, credit cards, honeycomb beeswax sheets (makes a cool mark that looks like a flock of birds in flight!) and some drywall tape.  On the 'inside' of the tag journal covers I decided to do some stenciling with Perfect Pearls mica powder in Perfect Green, randomly adding stenciled areas through a multitude of Tim Holtz Layering stencils.

To form the journal covers, I simply folded the tags in half and further embellished the covers with some punches and die cuts along with die cut words from Tim Holtz's Handwritten Love and Handwritten Journey die sets.  Crinkle ribbon, coloured with the inks left over from colouring the tags, was added as well.


All of the cover embellishments were die cut from various shades of green scrapbooking paper, cardstock or distress ink stained card.


For the inside pages of the tag journals, I used some light green coloured parchment paper I had in my stash and dampened the cut pages with water and dried them so they'd have a little movement and interest.  The page edges were coloured with Bundled Sage Distress ink and then I randomly stamped and stenciled images onto some of the pages.


Initially I was going to sew the signatures in place but decided to just tie them in place with some green and white baker's twine so I could add or subtract pages if I wanted to.

And then it was on to embellishing the ATB that would house my tag journals.  I embellished the top of the box with a multitude of flowers made with Tim Holtz's Tattered Pinecone, Tattered Florals and Tiny Tattered Florals dies from various green patterned scrapbooking papers.


The green swirls underneath the flowers were offcuts from the Flourish Mixed Media #2 die and the leaves were cut from a recycled coffee bean bag coloured with alcohol ink using the Tiny Tattered Florals die.  Some green faceted gems and a bit more green Stickles glitter glue were added to some of the flower centers.

The sides of the box were each embellished with a different nature themed die cut.  Flowers were cut using Tim Holtz's Wildflowers die for one side; a butterfly, die cut using Tim's Detailed Butterflies die was added to another;


and finally a bee and greenery swag, die cut with a Spellbinders Laurel and Bee die, were added to the third side (I used artistic license in order to make the bee green!).  Some feet were added to the bottom of the box using some flat green beads from my stash.

And that is my very green monochromatic tag journals ATB, I do hope that you have enjoyed seeing it.


I also hope that you will be able to take a minute to pop on over to see the amazing Monochromatic projects created by my fellow Creative Guides over at A Vintage Journey and that you will feel inspired to join in our Monochromatic challenge this month.  I can't wait to see what you will make, happy creating!

Deb xo



13 comments:

  1. Deb, I cannot believe how cool this is!!! Of course, this is my favorite color! And the tag pop outs just blow my mind. This is the coolest ATB I've seen yet! Way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Deb, such a wonderful idea and design!! Brilliant and clever and the colour tones you chose are so beautiful, - fantastic project!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love your colour tones and of course I love that you created your box with an ATB - it looks so beautiful filled with your little tag journals. Clever and beautiful!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monochromatic color schemes work for me since I'm horrible at choosing colors that work together. This is beautiful and such a clever idea for holding the little journals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beyond gorgeous - I just adore all those inky green backgrounds on the tags and what gorgeous tiny albums they make. Storing them all in an ATB bookshelf is inspired, and the decoration on the box is wonderful too. A brilliant monochromatic creation! Sorry I've been MIA again - I've a couple of weeks coming up soon in CZ when I'm planning to do some proper catching up!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous set! The tags are beautiful and the box is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous project! Debs and what a lovely idea creating tag journals to store in your ATB . Love all those lush shades of green , along with all the added detail . The floral arrangement is so wonderful too and dresses your box perfectly .
    have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Deb - I loved this the minute I saw the image and now I have seen the details I love it even more. Superb xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Deb, I adore the greens on this so eye catching and uplifting. Love how you added tag journals inside, lovely idea and fantastic details too. Love your florals too. Have q lovely weekend. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a wonderful and creative tag box Deb! Love, love all the greens and waterspots - the flowers on the top look like a lovely succulent garden! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful, Deb, and such a fabulous way to hold your brilliant journals! I can certainly see why you would want to journal everything when you get to put your thoughts and memories on such beautiful tags.The colors are so fresh and your die cuts all look wonderful on each side and top (Wow on the floral arrangement!) Just a clever project! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful project and a great idea that must look great sitting in your craft room. Your flowers are stunning and finish your design off so well.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cool is this Deb!!! I love how you've turned your ATB into a fabulous storage unit and made the shades of green look so beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo