Thursday, June 30, 2016

O' Canada Luminary

Hello everyone and thanks so much for stopping by!  I have a project to share with you today that I made for our current challenge at Emerald Creek Dares 'Nations Celebrated'.  (This is my first post today, if you are looking for my post for A Vintage Journey click here).  Tomorrow, July 1st, will be my wonderful country Canada's 149th birthday and then, on July 4th, all of my American friends will be celebrating their Independence Day.  It's time to party!

For my contribution to our challenge, I decided to make an O' Canada luminary to light up the night until the fireworks get started.


I love how it turned out!


I have a few step by step photos on how I made it and to start here are the products I used from Emerald Creek Craft Supplies.


I started out with a Tim Holtz Luminary die cut that a friend had very generously sent me and painted the pieces inside and out with Martha Stewart Brushed Pewter acrylic paint.


Then it was time to emboss each piece on the outside with some Hammered Metal Embossing Powder from Emerald Creek Craft Supplies.


I then stamped some clear acrylic packaging with Emerald Creek's 'We Grow On You' stamp and red ink (Canada's colours are red and white and the maple leaf is on our flag) and cut the 'windows' to size.


I decided to add some more maple leaves to the top of the luminary so found an image on line, resized it and cut out 5 leaves.  I also reversed the image so that I could sandwich a piece of 26 gauge wire in between the two leaves when they were cut out.  I coloured any white edges that were still showing with some Barn Door Distress ink.


And then I stamped 'O' Canada' onto some white cardstock with the same red ink I'd used previously and embossed it with some Emerald Creek Iridescent Shimmer embossing powder.


The stamped 'windows' were glued in place with Glossy Accents glue and the luminary was assembled.  I twirled the wire attached to the maple leaves around a paint brush handle and then twisted all of the leaves together and inserted them into the top of the luminary.


Look at the wonderful finish you get with the Hammered Metal embossing powder, love it!


I backed the stamped 'O' Canada' with some black cardstock for a little more stability and adhered it to the front of the luminary base.


And here it is lit up at night.


Hope that you will join in the celebrations at Emerald Creek Dares this month and if you aren't celebrating your countries birthday this month, feel free to link up anything that you want to celebrate in July!  You will have a chance to win a $25.00 gift certificate to Emerald Creek Craft Supplies online store and a chance to be one of our Top 3 Bloggers.  Can't wait to see what you make and happy creating!

Deb xo

P.S.  Can I ask you  to update your links to both Emerald Creek Craft Supplies online store and to the Emerald Creek Dares blog?  Poor Kim is having a problem with her domain name server and the .ca extension she usually uses is not currently working.  If you could update the store to http://emeraldcreek.org and the challenge blog to http://blog.emeraldcreek.org she would be forever grateful!  And due to the hiccup with the blog, Kim has extended the deadline for entering our last challenge, Anything But Paper, until Monday, July 4th so you still have time to enter your projects if you like.

10 comments:

  1. Fantastic! Deb Love the effect the hammered metal embossing powder gives ( my bank card groans in the background) and that you kept the decoration simple with the delicate maple leaf windows and twisted wires. Happy 149th birthday Canada and Happy Independence day . Enjoy the party
    hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This luminary is absolutely fabulous! Deb you are so amazing and I can't thank you enough for joining our team. Can you keep this one safe for CHA. I want it on display because it's so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing. I love the metal effect. Happy Canada Day Deb!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautiful Deb! I especially love the photo of it all lit up! What a creative way to use that stamp on the windows and the hammered metal embossing powder was a great choice! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a beautiful way to celebrated Canada's 149th birthday, it looks wonderful lit up! Hugs, Anne xx

    Happy Canada Day for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing. When I first looked at the picture before reading I thought maybe you had found a metal candle holder and just decorated it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deb, I love you lantern! Fantastic idea about embossing the pieces before adhering. The hammered metal embossing powder worked awesome for this project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this lantern! Great idea and that hammered metal embossing powder was perfect for this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deb, you knocked this one out of the park using that Hammered Metal EP and making those windows! Love your project and it's even prettier when lit! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deb, you knocked this one out of the park using that Hammered Metal EP and making those windows! Love your project and it's even prettier when lit! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo