Thursday, June 30, 2016

She Sells Seashells Mixed Media Canvas

Hello again everyone, it's been a busy couple of days here and I have yet another project to share with you.  (If you are looking for my Southern Ridge Trading Company post, click here).  It's time for a new challenge over at Mixed Media Mojo and this month our theme is 'Summertime' with the twist of adding shells to your project.


The twist for this challenge had me a bit stumped initially until I remembered that wonderful tongue twister 'she sells seashells by the seashore' and suddenly my whole canvas came together.


I've a few step by step photos to share with you on how I made it so grab a cup of your favourite beverage and read on!

I started out with a 5" x 7" flat artists canvas, coated it with gesso and when it was dry masked off the top 2/3's of the canvas.  I coloured the bottom 1/3 with Antique Linen Distress ink and then added some more colour through Tim Holtz's Speckles Stencil (Pumice Stone, Brushed Corduroy and Rusty Hinge).


I then masked off the bottom 1/3 and added some ocean 'waves' through Tim's ZigZag stencil using Tumbled Glass and Salty Ocean (what else?!) Distress inks.

I mixed some real sand into Ranger Transparent Texture paste (matte) and applied it randomly to the bottom of the canvas. I knew I wanted the tongue twister on the left side of the canvas so I added a strip of Symphony tissue tape on the left (that particular tongue twister has always sounded very lyrical to me) and added a 'sun' by stamping with Americana Mustard Seed acrylic paint and a jar lid.  The sun 'rays' were added with the edge of a credit card dipped in the same paint.


Since it wouldn't be the seaside without some seaweed, I coloured cardstock with multiple colours of green distress inks and die cut two Sizzix Flourishes (# 9 and #10) as well as a couple of Tim Holtz's Holiday Greens dies.  The chest was fussy cut from a 'Travel' Artsy Collage paper book gifted to me by a friend.  I then sealed the whole canvas with Matte Distress Collage medium and shaded around all of the die cuts with Black Soot Distress marker and around the edges of the canvas with Distress crayons in Mermaid Lagoon, Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain.

Now that the background was completed it was time to add my elements.  I started out by adding some seashells that I had in my stash to the bottom left corner overtop the Holiday Greens dies and texture paste sand.  I added a flat back pearl to one of the shells, a special surprise for some lucky shell purchaser!


Love the texture from the sand infused texture paste, I will be doing this again!

Next I fussy cut one of Tim's Found Relatives and coloured her with Distress markers in Spun Sugar, Fired Brick, Broken China and Bundled Sage.  I made a little sign on the computer for her to hold that says 'Shells For Sale' and attached it with a length of sewing thread through her hand.  She was mounted onto some black fun foam for dimension and adhered into place and a little seahorse charm was coloured with Alcohol inks (Latte, Caramel and Pesto) and added to the seaweed behind her.


The tongue twister was printed out on the computer, glued in place overtop the Symphony tissue tape and shaded with some Black Soot Distress marker after having been sealed in place with Matte Distress Collage medium.

And finally, I stamped the phrase 'do what you love' from Wendy Vecchi's Just Say It background stamp along the top with Black Soot Archival ink (because my gal is having so much fun selling her seashells by the seashore!) and then added some simple bird shapes with a Pigma Micron black pen.


Hope you have enjoyed seeing how I put this canvas together, I really love how it turned out!


If you have a minute, pop on by Mixed Media Mojo to see what my fellow design team members have made for our challenge and hope you will be inspired to join in the Summertime fun.  Thank you as always for stopping by today and happy creating!

Deb xo


8 comments:

  1. Awesome. I love it. The background is perfect for a beach scene. The found relative selling her wares on the beach is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for her... though I've often thought it's not much of a business plan! Love your vintage canvas with those wonderful beachcombing additions.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, your canvas is WOW-ing me! All the great details you thought of to include in this collage are so perfect! My favorite detail is the flourishes behind her. I just love that! But everything is so great. I'm having another look through my found relatives. This is great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool! Love the textures and thanks for the step out very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that is what I can thinking outside the box, this is clever and very, very beautiful Deb, I love anything to do with the sea.... Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just adorable Deb, I love all of the elements. I'll buy the shell with the pearl in please !

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great canvas, Deb. I Like the background, it sets everything off perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Deb! I only have a minute, but I wanted to tell you this is ADORABLE! Your saleslady looks simple smashing on this fun canvas! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo