Thursday, June 2, 2016

Sing Keepsake Book For Dad

Hello and thank you for stopping by today.  I am very excited to be sharing with you my first design team project for Emerald Creek Craft Supplies!  Our challenge theme this month on the Emerald Creek Dares blog is Dearest Daddio, it's June and time to celebrate our guys.  I made a little keepsake book for my Dad that celebrates his love of singing.


 My Dad has a wonderful bass voice and has sung in many community and church choirs over the years, you always know where he is in the house because he's usually humming a tune!  I have filled this booklet with quotes about singing to keep him inspired and have included some notepaper and a storage pocket so he can jot down any quotes that he loves and keep them in the book as well.  I've a few process photographs to share with you, read on for the how to.

Emerald Creek Design Products Used

I started out by cutting Eileen Hull's Needle Book from heavy white cardstock and stamping Emerald Creek's Noteable stamp three times on the back cover and heat embossing with their Iridescent Shimmer embossing powder.  I then coloured the outside of the cover with various shades of brown Distress inks and did some overstamping with a script stamp from my stash and Potting Soil Archival ink.  I attached the closing strap with one of Tim Holtz's Custom Fasteners brads and added a hemp string tie to the front cover.


I then die cut another cover with the Needle Book die from heavy cardstock printed with a vintage sheet music image from my stash.  I glued it to the inside of the embossed cover and aged all of the edges with Tea Dye Distress ink.

I embossed a piece of heavy cardstock with a thick layer of Emerald Creek's Hammered Metal embossing powder (this stuff is amazing!) and then further embossed it using Tim Holtz's Keyboard Texture Fades embossing folder.  I cut out the individual embossed typewriter keys to spell the word 'sing' on my front cover.


I cut out a treble clef from heavy cardstock and heat embossed it with some Emerald Creek Burnt Copper Leaves embossing powder, love this embossing powder as well!

For the inner pages, I used cardstock printed with Beethoven's 'Ode To Joy' sheet music as my base and then went hunting online for various quotes about singing.  I printed the quotes out onto some copy paper aged with a wash of coffee (left over from my hubby's morning cuppa!) and cut them to fit on the cardstock pages.  I embellished the pages further with stamps from my stash, charms, a heart brad from Emerald Creek (coloured with Mushroom alcohol ink) and a star die cut from the Hammered Metal embossed cardstock.


A curled paper clip was glued to the inside of the front cover and I tucked some notepaper into it so Dad could jot down his favourite singing quotes to add to the book.  A little pocket envelope was added to the back cover, stamped with a music score stamp, so he would have a place to tuck the quotes he'll jot down.

The embossed letters and treble clef were then glued to the front cover and I added some Mirrored Stars as well that I coloured with Mushroom alcohol ink.


I then sewed the cardstock pages into the cover with a pamphlet stitch and some cording I made from embroidery floss and the book was complete.

Here are some close up pictures.  It's hard to see in the picture but the Iridescent Shimmer embossing powder on the back cover has a lovely subtle glow.


And how perfect was it that I still had the treble clef image from Tim's Custom Fasteners set?

Here are the inside pages.






I hope you've enjoyed seeing my little sing keepsake book and I hope that my Dad will get a kick out of it.  I also hope that you will join in our Dear Daddio challenge at Emerald Creek Dares this fortnight, you have a chance to win a gift certificate to use at Emerald Creek Supply Company's online store plus a chance to be named as one of Emerald Creek Dares Top 3 bloggers.  Can't wait to see what you make and as always, happy creating!

Deb xo

16 comments:

  1. Wonderful little book Deb and congrats on your new DT gig!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, this is awesome. Aside from the whole idea, the pages are great and the cover is simply amazing

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful keepsake treasure for your Dad. You are so cleverly talented! The individual pages are super fantastic. I can just hear your Dad's beautiful voice now. I cannot sing, but I hum made up tunes all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sensational idea! And so well done too (of course!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful book Deb!! Love all the details you've put in it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love the Needle Book die! You have done a beautiful little book. Love that you have picked up some of Eileen's dies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful and such a thoughtful gift! Great job Deb! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow awesome job Deb! You didn't miss any details in your book. Love everything about it!
    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deb, I can't believe this is sooo much Emerald creek product. I had never thought to use the folder like that and now I'm off to add it to the sizzix cart! Excellent Excellent Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great and I'm sure your dad will love it. Happy crafting, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun and creative Deb! Such a cute little book and great product use and tutorial. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots of fabulous details Deb and what a brilliant design and gift for your Dad. I just adore the type keys to spell the word sing. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Golly, it's all go for you with the debut projects at the moment, isn't it?! (Or should that be DEBut!?!)

    Congrats on a wonderful contribution to another new DT - your little book is just delightful, full of beautifully thought-out details and made with such love.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  14. so many fantastic details in this book!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is fabulous Deb, so many details to see and I love the papers that you've used xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous mini album, love all the fun pages!!!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo