Friday, July 22, 2016

Beautiful Wildflowers Alcohol Ink Card

Hello, hope you have all had a great week.  I thought I was doing so well in getting caught up with my Summer Of Creative Chemistry homework but somehow this week just totally got away from me and here I am a day late and a dollar short again!  I am continuing to live by the mantra 'better late than never' though so here is my week 7 alcohol ink techniques card.


For week 7 we were concentrating on Day 4 of Creative Chemistry 102 which is all about alcohol inks.  I combined the monoprint and faded layers techniques for my background and although it didn't turn out entirely as planned I'd say it's not too bad for a first attempt.  I don't play with alcohol inks too often but will definitely be incorporating them more often from now on.

I started out with a 5" x 7" piece of Ranger Glossy cardstock and used Stonewash, Pool and Stream alcohol inks plus some Gold Mixative for the monoprint technique.  I then used a $1 store star stencil and lifted some of the inks as Tim taught for the faded layers technique.  It was a very subtle lifting which I think is partly due to the fact my background colours weren't real intense or dark but that's how we learn, by trying and experimenting!  I then mixed Sunshine Yellow alcohol ink with some Gold Mixative and stenciled in a few gold stars here and there.


The Meadow stamps by Inkadinkado were stamped overtop with Jet Black Archival ink and after I took this picture I decided to add some second generation script stamping as well.

I cut a piece of corrugated kraft cardstock and finger painted it with some white gesso.  Once that had dried I sprayed it with Salty Ocean and Brushed Pewter Distress sprays plus some Lindy's Stamp Gang Moon Shadow Mist.


After it had dried, I layered it onto a navy card blank and adhered the glossy cardstock overtop.  And then, as usual, I got on a roll and forgot to take any more in process pictures so here are some close ups.

I stapled two pieces of jute twine along the bottom edge of the glossy cardstock and then die cut the word 'beautiful' into black cardstock with Tim's Adventure Words:Block die.  I had a scrap of blue card coloured with various shades of Distress inks from a previous project that coordinated perfectly with my glossy cardstock so used it to back the die cut word.

I mounted it on some black fun foam and straddled it overtop of the jute twine.

I die cut three graduated sizes of stars from the same blue cardstock with Simon Says Stamp's Holiday Shapes and Large Holiday Shapes dies.  I gave the middle stars a brush of Gold Stickles glitter glue and the top star a brush of Silver Stickles and layered them one atop the other.


The layered stars were then adhered to either side of the die cut word.

Here's a closer look at the lifting done with the star stencil, it's subtle as I said but I still really love this technique and can't wait to play with it more.


And love how the alcohol ink Gold Mixative stars shine through the overstamping!


So now onto week 8 which is going to be about Distress and embossing, can't wait to get started and to see what that will be all about!


Hope you have a great weekend, we are finally enjoying some summer like weather here and the rain has (finally!) stopped so hope to get in some hiking with hubby and the hound dog.  Have fun whatever you decide to do and as always, happy creating!

Deb xo

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful indeed Deb! Not used alcohol inks much but this is inspiring to me to more purchases! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a great lover of alcohol inks but this is beautiful Deb, I especially like the way the stars shine through the stamping and your over-stamping was a great addition! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow gorgeous Dec. I gave up on alcohol ink a while ago, I just never get beautiful results like this! Love the crisp black against those blues, fantabulous! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. like the card says Beautiful. I have alcohol inks but I don't use them much because I really have no clue what I'm doing with them...lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant effect Deb, gorgeous finish. I love using alcohol inks but it's ages since I had mine out, I guess there are just so many techniques we can use now. Thanks for sharing this lovely piece with us. Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how LUSCIOUS Deb. STUNNING work. Intriguingly Peaceful. j.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really beautiful Deb, I signed up for CC101 but never got any further, so this is all new to me. Your colours are really lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I have to say I like your mantra, you keep at it girl creating these beautiful cards and tags, I love seeing them all xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful card Deb !Love the corrugated card background and the silhouetter stamping is fabulous ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is absolutely amazing Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Deb you certainly know how to use these alcohol inks in an amazing way and the depth to your design is incredible.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  12. You card is just beautiful! Thanks for the tips and steps too...I have had some alcohol inks for ages but have not really played with them much. So this has definitely given me some creative seeds! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So so so gorgeous!!! I love alcohol ink, and you made a beauty with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is indeed BEAUTIFUL! Great job with the inks an a lovely design! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo