Saturday, July 9, 2016

Hat's Off Archival Ink Resist Card

Hello everyone, hope you are having a great weekend.  I have been catching up with my Summer of Creative Chemistry homework (I am woefully behind!) and have a birthday card I made for my Dad to share with you today.


This card was made with Tim Holtz's archival ink resist technique from Creative Chemistry 101 and I love how it turned out!  I had to get some glossy paper before attempting this technique but it was definitely worth the wait.  I don't have any really bright colours of archival inks in my stash but they still just pop off the background once you rub back the Distress ink.  I used Dandelion, Leaf Green, Hydrangea and Forget-Me-Not archival inks with Walnut Stain Distress ink over top.  I won't go into the details of this technique in deference to Tim (go sign up for the class, it is so worth it!) but here are some close ups.

I used Tim's Dapper stamp along with his Worn Text stamps for my bowler hatted 85 (it was my Dad's 85th birthday at the end of June :O) and I stamped it with Black Soot Distress ink.


The background stamps were from Tim's Mixed Media 101 stamp and stencil set (purchased at Michaels) and Paper Artsy's EEV05 stamp set by Ellen Vargo.

'Happy Birthday' was die cut from black card stock using Simon Says Stamp's Happy Birthday die and I backed the cardstock with some Stick It adhesive by Ken Oliver before die cutting.


That stuff is fabulous for these intricate die cuts, so glad I found it at my local craft store!

The balloons and stars are from a Birthday Celebration stamp set that was gifted to me by Simon Says Stamp for my birthday (thank you Simon Says Stamp! xo).


And finally, 'Hat's Off!' was stamped with a sentiment from Artistic Outpost's Hat's Off stamp set.


I backed the archival ink resist cardstock with a piece of paper from Tim Holtz's Crowded Attic paper stash, tattered the edges and inked them with Vintage Photo Distress ink and mounted it all on a navy card blank.

So now on to week 5's homework (we are in week 6 already so as you can see I am waaay behind!) and I hope to have something to share with you in a day or two.  Week 5 is all about Distress paints so that will be a bit of challenge since I have a very limited palette of Distress paint colours.  Wish me luck and hope to see you in a couple of day, happy creating!

Deb xo

7 comments:

  1. Love the design of your fabulous card Deb and the happy colours used with the mixed media stamps. Bet your Dad loves this xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I think you can go to the top of the class with this beauty Deb - love that stamp set, love your fabulous card! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never fail to put together something fabulous. This looks great and I bet your dad loved it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the way you've used the stamp Deb. The card's great, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card! Love all the details. Happy belated bday to your dad too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great birthday card! I love the age in the face section. The stamp is so open to a variety of creative uses. All the background details make a great party feeling too. I'm eyeing that die as well,

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet your Dad loves his birthday card! I love all the details and I'm happy you're doing your homework! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo