Thursday, July 14, 2016

Lost And Found Stenciled Card

Hello and thanks for stopping by.  I have a card to share with you today that I made for my week 6 homework assignment for Tim Holtz's Summer of Creative Chemistry and am happy to say I am now officially caught up!  And as an added bonus, I've even got my homework done on time this week ... now there's a switch :O)

The techniques we were learning this week were all about stencils; embossing with stencils, different ways to colour with stencils, printing with stencils and even stamping with stencils.  The homework assignment was to incorporate two stencil techniques together but I decided to go all out and actually incorporated four techniques on my lost and found stenciled card.


I started out by embossing Tim's Rays layering stencil onto manila cardstock (technique #1).  I've never tried to emboss with a stencil before and must say I was pleasantly surprised at the definition achieved with the stencil.


The embossed manila card was coloured with multiple colours of Distress inks in shades of yellow and orange;  Mustard Seed, Fossilized Amber, Wild Honey and Spiced Marmalade.

Next I  made a stencil monoprint (technique #2) with the Honeycomb stencil coloured with Wild Honey and Fossilized Amber (you can see Tim demonstrate this technique here).  In retrospect it wasn't the best stencil to use for this technique due to all of the open area but hey-ho, live and learn!  I then took the Industrial mini stencil (from mini layering set #1) and inked through it overtop of the monoprint with Mustard Seed and Fossilized Amber DI.


Stamping through the stencil came next with a vintage ad stamp from Wendy Vecchi's Remnants Of Art set and Ground Espresso Archival ink (technique #3).  And finally, with the stencil still in place, I coloured in some of the areas with a Spiced Marmalade Distress marker and outlined some of the other words and numbers (technique #4).

The embossed manila card was trimmed to size and I tattered the edges and coloured them with Spiced Marmalade and Walnut Stain DI's. I trimmed up the lost and found stenciled cardstock, tattered and inked the edges in the same way and mounted it overtop of the embossed Rays cardstock and then adhered it all to a card blank.

Here are a few closeups, you can see the depth of the embossing with the stencil which as I said quite surprised me.


Love the stamping through the stencil and outlining the images really makes the words and numbers pop.


Colouring some of the stenciled areas with markers adds great contrast as well.  And in this picture, you can catch a glimpse of the Honeycomb stencil monoprint in the background.


So that's my week 6 homework done (on time for a change), woo-hoo!


We start week 7 tomorrow and I can't wait to see what Tim has in store for us.  I'm learning so much and having a lot of fun! I'll be back to share my homework with you for week 7 later on this week, hope to see you again then and happy creating!

Deb xo

7 comments:

  1. Fabulous design and wonderful warm colours, you are doing so well with your homework xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of embossing with a stencil. Love the way that looks. Wonderful colors on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and I forgot to say good job on getting all caught up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah for catching up! Love this card! You rocked the stamping through the stencil on this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, the outlining makes it pop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool! Just love the text stamping through the stencil, and the sunshine colours are so uplifting.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the way you've used the stencils on this. Thank you for such great inspiring ideas Deb. Happy crafty week, Angela x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo