Tuesday, July 12, 2016

The Meandering Continues!

Hello everyone, hope your week is off to a great start.  I just mailed off two meandering books for our Mixed Media Studio ongoing swap, I had been very neglectful and not completed the book I already had in my possession before the second one showed up on my doorstep (if you are not sure what in the heck I'm talking about, you can read about the meandering books here and see the previous pages I've completed here, here and here :O)  As we are being threatened with a shut down of our mail system here in Canada due to strike or lockout, I figured I'd best get the second book completed and sent on it's way as well before that became impossible.

The first book's theme was 'Colour', which as many of you know is not my forte!  But that's what the book's owner wanted so I did my best to comply.  I find using complimentary colours the easiest way for me to deal with the need for colourful projects so that's what I did once again.  The first page incorporated some recycled coffee bean bag flowers coloured with red alcohol inks along with a scrapbook paper flower in green. (Sorry for the dark pictures, it was rather a dreary day when I took them).


The large flowers were die cut with the Tattered Florals die and have seed bead centers and the flowers behind were cut with the Wildflowers die from Distress ink stained cardstock as was the word 'beautiful', which was die cut with Tim Holtz's Handwritten Love die.  I went all out yellow on the background with Squeezed Lemonade and Mustard Seed Distress inks along with some water spritz and flick.

For the second colourful page, I started out with a Birds die cut from pink cardstock and I then stamped it with a flourish stamp from my stash and embossed it with Christmas Gold embossing powder.   It doesn't show in the photo but there are tiny flecks of green and red in the gold embossing.


The branch was die cut with the Bird Branch die from some red scrapbook paper that has a small glittered dot pattern throughout it and both the bird and branch were mounted onto cardstock coloured with multiple shades of green Distress ink and water spritz and flick.  The stamped words and sandman and moon image (all discontinued Crafty Secrets stamps) were stamped with Black Soot Distress ink and clear embossed.

And then it was on to meandering book number two.  No theme had been chosen by this books owner but she had decorated the front and back covers with sewing themes and so all the previous recipients of her book had done mainly sewing themed pages.  I decided to do one of her pages in a sewing theme as well.  The background grey scrapbook paper was lightly stenciled with Hickory Smoke Distress ink through a Dyan Reaveley stencil and edged with Elements Tissue Tape. I die cut a Stitched Oval frame from black Core-dinations card stock and then die cut the Mini Sewing Room Movers and Shapers dress form from cream Core-dinations.  The dress form was stamped with a script stamp from my stash and I made a little skirt from some bronze crinoline I had in my stash and a bit of ribbon.


The sewing machine, scissors and thread spool are all Maya Road chipboard pieces I've had forever and I embossed them all with embossing powders (black, silver and weathered wood).  I wrapped a bit of button thread around the spool chipboard piece.  Life's a Stitch was stamped onto black cardstock and embossed with white embossing powder using a discontinued Crafty Secrets stamp and fussy cut to size.

For the second page, I took my cue from the front cover of this meandering book that had a Paris themed scrapbooking paper as the background.  I embossed some damask patterned paper with Tim Holtz's Postal embossing folder and shaded it with Brushed Corduroy Distress ink.  I stamped the Eiffel tower image from Tim's French Market Clear Stamps set onto the same paper and then embossed it with clear UTEE.  I had mounted the stamped image onto a piece of chipboard packaging before embossing it and you can see some of the writing from the packaging coming through.  I initially freaked out but then decided I kind of liked the ghosting!


To continue the French theme, I die cut a fleur-de-lis with the Sizzix Classic Icons die and a bee with a Spellbinders Bee and Laurel die.  Both were embossed with gold embossing powder and mounted onto black fun foam before adhering them to the background.

We only have one more book yet to come to us for embellishment and then our own books will return to us with all of the pages completed.  I can't wait to get mine back, the pages that I've seen done by the others in the books I've received have been wonderful!  It will be a real little piece of art to flip through and enjoy for years to come.  I'll be sure to share the last book pages that I will be decorating and then will do a complete flip through of my own book when it returns to me.  Thanks so much for stopping by today and as always, happy creating!

Deb xo

3 comments:

  1. These are all great. Whoever came up this idea was brilliant. How awesome to eventually end up with a book full of treasures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful pages Deb! Each is so unique! The recipients are going to love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must be such a rewarding way to swap - and your pages are bound to bring lots of pleasure wherever they're heading off to.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo