Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Wonder Filled Tag

Hello and happy hump day!  I've got a tag to share with you today that I made for week 5 of Tim Holtz's Summer of Creative Chemistry.  I'm actually catching up with my homework, woo-hoo!  In week 5 we moved on to Creative Chemistry 102 and our homework assignment was to create something using one or more of the Distress paint techniques that Tim had taught us.  I incorporated 3 of the techniques in my Wonder Filled tag; marbling, paint resist and altered surfaces.


I don't have a lot of Distress paint colours in my stash so my marbling technique wasn't as vibrant as Tim had demonstrated but I still really like the results.  I used Mermaid Lagoon, Old Paper, Tattered Rose and Fossilized Amber.  I can't share the how to with you I'm afraid but do encourage you to check out Tim's class to learn how, it is well worth the investment!


After the Distress paint dried I then intensified the colours by adding Distress inks in Mustard Seed, Mermaid Lagoon and Peeled Paint along with some spritz and flick.

I cut a #8 tag from a manila file folder and stamped the Mesh background stamp onto it with Old Paper Distress paint for the paint resist part of my homework assignment (Tim shared this technique on his November 12 Tags of 2015).  After the paint dried, I coloured the tag with Rusty Hinge, Fired Brick and Mustard Seed Distress inks and wiped back the inks from the paint to reveal the mesh stamp.  Spritz and flick with water followed and the tag was edged with Gathered Twigs Distress ink.


I die cut the marbled Distress paper with Tim's Flourish Mixed Media #2 die and tore off some of the edges.  The marbled die cut was then adhered on top of the paint resist tag and sealed with a coat of Vintage Distress collage medium.


Two more pieces of manila file folder were coloured with Distress inks using the wrinkle free distress technique.  Once piece was coloured with Rusty Hinge, Fired Brick and Mustard Seed and the other with Brushed Corduroy, Gathered Twigs and Walnut Stain.  I then die cut them with the Detailed Butterflies die.


A quote from Tim's Phrases 2 stamp set was stamped in Black Soot Archival ink and clear embossed on the top of the tag and I die cut the words 'wonder filled' from black cardstock using Tim's Holiday Words 2:Script  and Halloween Words:Script dies.  If you are wondering how I got the word 'filled', I just die cut the letters from other words in the set and adhered them together.  Think I first saw this done on Dig That Crazy Chick's blog (Vicki Evans) and it was one of those 'hit yourself upside the head, why didn't I think of that' moments when I saw her do it, thanks for the great idea Vicki!

The butterfly was layered on top of black fun foam and adhered to the tag and some multi-colored fibers were added to the top.  Here are a few closeups.



I used the altered surfaces technique on the metal heart charm and coloured it with Fossilized Amber and Walnut Stain Distress paint (see Tim's January 12 Tags of 2015 for the how to).

So that's my week 5 homework assignment completed, a week late but at least I got it done!


Tomorrow is the final day of week 6 so I have to get a move on to get my homework assignment in on time for a change!  With any luck I will be back tomorrow to show you what I made, thanks for stopping by and as always happy creating!

I'd like to link my tag up with Anything But Cute's Challenge #15 - Summertime Fun!  Enjoying the garden and all of it's happy inhabitants is one of my favourite ways to pass a lazy summer day so hope this tag will fulfill Anne's brief :O)
Deb xo

9 comments:

  1. what a great tag this is. I like the look the mesh stamp gave the background

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your tag Deb, the visual textures are gorgeous and the green flourish just pops xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to use those techniques! Looks great and I got to say that I love the yarn you used at the top. So funky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tons of distress paint and don't use them. Thanks for the wonderful inspiration, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this is fabulous, Deb - brilliant colour combining, wonderful colour-lifting and great use of the die-cuts. I love it!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nearly missed this Deb which would have been a great shame as it is gorgeous. Love the combo of colours too. Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does fill the brief beautifully Deb, I love all the different techniques you shared on your tag, the colours are gorgeous - you have made me want to get my paints out and play now!

    Thanks so much for joining in our Summertime Fun challenge at Anything But Cute. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deb, I so much enjoyed reading your post and how this gorgeous tag came to be! You have taken Tim's techniques and ran with them to a magical place! I love that mesh background and your Mixed Media die cut and butterfly are just amazing collaged on top! Genius way to use those words! So inspiring! Thank you for joining us for the Summertime Fun challenge at Anything But Cute. I'd say you've had some summertime fun working in your studio! Hugs! Sara Emily DT

    PS Thank you for all your wonderful comments you've left on my blog. I'm getting caught up (some) after a nice vacation, and getting those lovely words adds such an incredible lift to my days! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is absolutely stunning!! The colors are amazing!! I love the details!! What a gorgeous tag this is!! I love it!! Thanks so much for playing along at Anything But Cute for our Summertime Fun challenge!!

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo