Thursday, August 4, 2016

A Measured Life Mixed Media Plaque

Hello and thanks for stopping by.  It's time for a new challenge at A Vintage Journey and this month Amanda has chosen the challenge theme of Stencil It!  Here is her brief:

There are so many fantastic stencils available to us right now and so many ways in which to use them so we would like you to include stenciling in whatever it is you choose to create for this challenge.  Don't forget all the ways in which they can be used - inks, sprays, paints, texture/embossing pastes and gesso are all stencil friendly.  So be sure to have fun and embrace your stencils in your vintage; shabby; mixed media; art journaling; industrial or steam punk projects.

Our wonderful prize sponsor this month is Country View Crafts, www.countryviewcrafts.co.uk, and they are offering a £20 voucher to our lucky winner!

Like most of you I have many stencils and I usually get stuck in the rut of just colouring through them.  But as Amanda pointed out, there are many ways to use stencils and fortunately for me we just finished doing a refresher on stencils in Tim Holtz's Summer of Creative Chemistry course.  So I was revved up and ready to go for this challenge and here is what I created.


I used multiple stencils in the making of this mixed media plaque and I coloured through them, stamped through them, embossed with them and used texture paste, inks and paint through them.  I was in stencil heaven!  I've a few step by step photos to share with you so grab a cuppa and here we go.

I started out with a piece of manila card and quickly coloured it with Old Paint Distress stain.  I then used Stencil #1, Tim Holtz's Measured Layering stencil, with Old Paint Distress ink to lay down the first layer.


Embossing with Stencil #2 came next.  I used Southern Ridge Trading Company's 4 Leaf Clover stencil and put it through my Big Shot and then emphasized the embossed areas with Tea Dye Distress ink.

Stamping through Stencil #2 was next on the agenda.  I replaced the 4 Leaf Clover stencil and stamped through it with Wendy Vecchi's Remnants of Art stamps and Vintage Photo Distress Archival ink.  I felt that the embossing needed more emphasis so I added some Walnut Stain DI.


Stencil #3, Tim Holtz's Mini Plus stencil, was used to apply some Wendy Vecchi Crackled Texture paste here and there and, once the paste had dried, I coloured the plus signs with Vintage Photo DI and Ground Espresso Distress stain.

On to Stencil #4!  I just got this wonderful Andy Skinner Old Film stencil so used the numbered film strip with Old Paper Distress paint.  Once the paint had dried, I coloured over the manila card with Ground Espresso Distress ink and rubbed back the ink from where the stenciled paint had resisted it.


And last but not least I used Stencil #5, Tim Holtz's Clockwork Layering stencil with Walnut Stain DI onto manila card to use as a background for my Weathered Clock die cut.  After stenciling the image, I cut it to fit and then did some spritz and flick with water plus sprayed it with Lindy's Stamp Gang Moon Shadow Mist in Vandyke Sepia and did some fly specks with Lamp Black acrylic paint to add more interest.  The Weathered Clock die cut was initially inked with several shades of brown Distress ink but I was losing it on the stenciled background so coloured it instead with Old Paper and Weathered Wood Distress paint and then covered it with clear UTEE.

Time to assemble my plaque.  I adhered the Weathered Clock die cut to the Clockworks stenciled card and attached the clock hands with a copper coloured brad.  I embossed the clock hands with Burnt Copper Leaves embossing powder from Emerald Creek Craft Supplies.  The clock was then adhered to the multi-layered stenciled background.


I made a base for my plaque from chipboard packaging covered front and back with papers from Tim's Wallflower and Crowded Attic Paper Stash's and die cut a Small Easel to act as a stand.  I decided to tatter the edges of the multi-layered stenciled background and inked them again with more Walnut Stain and Ground Espresso DI.


I tore the edges of the stenciled film strip and inked them with Ground Espresso DI.  The film strip was atttached to the background with some screwhead brads that were coloured with Rust, Caramel and Mushroom alcohol inks.

I painted some cardstock with Old Paper Distress paint and then printed the sentiment onto the painted card with my computer printer (not sure what this is doing to my printer heads but I love how it looks!).  The sentiment was die cut with a Spellbinders Labels #8 die and inked around the edges with Ground Espresso Distress ink


I also added a couple of Words Remnant Rubs to the background as a finishing touch.

Hope you've enjoyed seeing how I created my 'Measured Life' mixed media plaque, I had a lot of fun playing with my stencils in so many different ways!


I do hope you will be able to take the time to pop over to A Vintage Journey to see what my fellow Creative Guides made to inspire you this month and that you will break out your own stencils and join in our challenge this month.  I can't wait to see what you make, have fun and happy creating!

Deb xo

18 comments:

  1. What an amazing card! I rarely ever ink with my stencils. Great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really went 'whole hog' with your many ways to use stencils Deb - wonderful composition and layering -love the theme and super rusted hands on your clock! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were in stencil heaven creating this stunner Deb, love all the amazing layers and design xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've achieved such fantastic dimension with your stencilling Deb. Love the array of textures on this beauty xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. And wow, what an amazing job you did with the stencils too Deb! I love that you used several stencils and yet created such a harmonious result, the clock looks amazing and the old film stencil at the bottom is a great finishing touch! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful layering with your many stencils, each layer adding depth and detail. I love the time theme running through, and that fabulous gleaming clock face - brilliant!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful creation and such a brilliant use of stencils... this really appeals to me! Love the words too xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome look this is. I love it. Now I want to get out my stencils and play but my craft room is such a disaster right now I would never find them....lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic project Deb and such brilliant use of the stencil! Love the clock too of course, a truly wonderful piece!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant Deb, great to see you making good use of the stencils. So much detail, love it too bits. Happy crafty weekend, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great techniques applied with your stencils Deb and a fantastic result.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an amazing plaque, Deb! I loved seeing how you created all those stenciled layers. I'm certainly taking those ideas away with me. So many inspiring ideas in this art piece! I love that you shared them all with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooo wow Deb! Love this plaque! So many gorgeous layers and fabulous textures <3
    Thanks for this refresher on the brilliant effects with stencils!
    ~kim

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant post and an amazing project as a result of all your hard work! Loved seeing all the ways you've used your stencils, and had completely forgotten about stamping though stencils. This has such depth and timeless beauty! hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Debs I thoroughly enjoyed seeing and reading how you created your 'Measured Life' plaque. It is a fabulous piece that showcases the use of stencils in different ways with various mediums so wonderfully.
    Thank you for embracing your stencils, having fun and creating a really lovely piece of art for this challenge .
    hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love all the details and texture you got with this fabulous piece. Great eye candy! Hugs, S@ndy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow Deb this is wonderful! I must admit I've fallen into a stencil rut so will definitely be rethinking mine again. Thanks for the reminder! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely layered clock and gears! Fabulous design and card!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo