Monday, August 1, 2016

Harvest Time Mixed Media Wall Hanging

Hello and thanks for stopping by!  As hard as it is to believe, the month of August has arrived and it's time for a new challenge over at Mixed Media Mojo, Harvest with the twist of adding fruit.


I decided to make a mixed media wall hanging that I could display right on into the upcoming fall season for our challenge and I love how it turned out.


I've a few step by step photos of how I made it, enjoy!

I started out with the Tim Holtz/Sizzix Ornate Frame #2 die and die cut if from some chipboard packaging.  After painting it front and back with Weathered Wood Distress paint, I embossed it with Verdigris Sparkle embossing powder from Emerald Creek Craft Supplies.  The green was a little too vibrant for me so in the end I added a wash of diluted Walnut Stain Distress paint which toned it down perfectly for my plaque.


I stamped the Emerald Creek Craft Supplies Grape Balls O' Wine stamp onto manila cardstock with Potting Soil Archival ink and clear embossed it.  I then watercoloured the image with three shades of purple Distress ink for the grapes (Dusty Concord, Seedless Preserves and Aged Mahogany) and three shades of green for the leaves (Iced Spruce, Peeled Paint and Cracked Olive).  I gave the whole image a wash of Seedless Preserves to tie the colours together and then fussy cut it.

The We R Memory Keepers Mason Jar was die cut from manila cardstock and coloured with the same three colours of purple Distress inks using Tim Holtz's wrinkle free distress technique.  I then enhanced the embossed areas of the die cut with more Dusty Concord DI.  The lid was coloured with Weathered Wood and Hickory Smoke DI and I added a dry brush of Martha Stewart Brushed Pewter acrylic paint to the embossed areas.


More manila card was coloured with Distress inks (Tea Dye, Walnut Stain and Cracked Pistachio) and stamped with a Forever In Time Banner stamp using Potting Soil Archival ink, clear embossed and fussy cut.  I also die cut the Tim Holtz/Sizzix Weathered Clock from the same coloured card but forgot to take a picture!  More manila card was then prepared in the same manner as for the Ornate Frame #2 and the letters to spell Harvest Time were die cut from it using the Tim Holtz/Sizzix Alphanumeric dies. The letters just happened to be the exact right size to fit onto the banner!

A 6" x 6" piece of scrapbook paper that had a script design was then stenciled here and there with Tim Holtz's Clockwork and Flourish stencils using Brushed Corduroy DI.


I tattered the edges with the Tonic Distress tool and inked them with Brushed Corduroy and Walnut Stain DI.  The stenciled scrapbook paper was layered onto a piece of black cardstock 1/4" wider on all sides and the elements were then adhered into place.

Here are a few closeups:


I outlined the die cut letters with a black Pigma Micron pen so they'd stand out a little more.


The grapes and banner were elevated on black fun foam for some dimension.


I added a hang tag from the Tim Holtz/Sizzix Tiny Tabs and Tags die to the mason jar and hand wrote Grape Preserves onto it.


And even though you don't see much of the stenciling in the background it adds another layer of subtle interest.


Crinkle ribbon coloured with Walnut Stain, Tea Dye and Cracked Pistachio was added as a hanger for the finishing touch on my harvest time mixed media wall hanging.


I hope that you will be able to pop on over to Mixed Media Mojo to see what my fellow design team members have created for you this month and that you will feel inspired to join in our August challenge.  Can't wait to see what you make, happy creating!

I'd like to link my Harvest Time wall hanging up with Country View Crafts Hot Summer Days challenge, for me the end of summer is about harvesting and preserving the fruits and veg from the garden so you can enjoy a taste of summer all year long!

Deb xo

7 comments:

  1. Oh how lovely Deb. It's perfect for now until Harvest and really - in some way - there is a harvest every day of our lives - even if we just create art that harvest smiles!!! Xj.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pretty! Great job ♥

    summerdaisy.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, this is so pretty, and full of great techniques! I loved reading through your post and seeing how this came together. I love that layered stencil background--you've done that to perfection! Great wall hanging! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just beautiful, I love all of the lovely shades of purple. The grape preserves look good enough to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Debs what a lovely wall hanging. Thanks for joining in with the fun over at Country View x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Deb this is fabulous, I love the stencilling you have in the background. I must admit I'm not ready to give up on Summer just yet, but the days are getting shorter. Thanks so much for joining in with our challenge at Country View Crafts, and have a great weekend. Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful wall hanging! Here are the hot summer days holding on and I don´t think about autumn yet.
    Thank you for joining in our challenge at Country View Challenges!
    xx Evelyn

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo