Thursday, August 11, 2016

Ten Minute Ombre Birthday Card

Hello everyone, thanks for stopping by.  I have a card to share with you today for the new Sweet Fades challenge over at Emerald Creek Dares.  Kim has dared us to make a project utilizing an ombre technique that can be made in ten minutes!  Now I have to admit that this was a real challenge for me because I am not what you'd call a speedy crafter.  I hem and haw and change my mind and try 5 different things before I decide what I am going to do.  But I decided to face Kim's challenge head on and with the help of Nicole Wright's Fallen Blossom stamp set, some Emerald Creek Iridescent Shimmer embossing powder and Distress ink I managed to make this ten minute ombre birthday card.


I've some step by step photos to share with you; on your mark, get set, go!

I started out with a package of thank you cards from Michaels as my card base.  They are a great size for quick cards (3 3/4" x 5 1/8") and made of good heavy cardstock  As I am always adding a panel to the front of the card you never see the thank you script!


I tore a piece of watercolour paper to size (3 1/2" x 4 7/8") so that it would have a 1/8" reveal on all sides.  I like the torn ragged edges on watercolour paper but you could also use your paper cutter to trim it if you prefer a neat edge.

I positioned Nicole's Fallen Blossom stamp and sentiment onto the watercolour paper (on the smooth side of the cold press paper) and added the three individual blossoms in the set onto a scrap of the same watercolour paper.  I adhered the stamps to an acrylic stamp block and stamped the images with Jet Black Archival ink.


While the archival ink was wet, I sprinkled on the Iridescent Shimmer embossing powder and heat set it and repeated that for the individual blossoms.

Time for ombre!  I chose three colours of Distress inks (Tumbled Glass, Salty Ocean and Chipped Sapphire) and smooshed them onto my craft mat separately.  I spritzed each colour with some water until it beaded up and then LIGHTLY misted the embossed watercolour paper.  I started with the lightest colour and worked my way up the card, adding progressively darker shades and trying not to overwork the colours or to get the paper too wet (I don't have a lot of time to dry it!).  After the ombre watercolouring was done I quickly picked up some leftover colours from the craft mat and did a quick little watercolour on the single blossoms with my water brush.


I dried the ombre paper with my heat tool until the sheen was gone (trying not to get too close so I didn't remelt the embossing powder) and then quickly dried and fussy cut the single flowers.  The single flowers were mounted onto some foam pop dots, the (almost!) dry ombre paper was adhered to the cardblank with my tape runner, the single flowers adhered in place overtop the ombre image and the card was done.  Time!

The iridescent shimmer embossing powder made all the difference, adding some much needed interest to this simple card.


And even though it was a bit of a struggle fussy cutting those teeny little flowers in record time, they added a layer of depth that made it worth it!


I do have to admit to adding another accent to this card that fell outside of my ten minute time limit but it only took another minute or two to do, honest!


I stamped, embossed and watercoloured the three individual flowers from the Fallen Blossom stamp set on the inside of the card and on the envelope, well worth the additional time I think!

So that's my ten minute ombre birthday card, I do hope that you have enjoyed seeing it.  It just goes to show that you can create a beautiful handmade card in mere minutes for those times you have forgotten about Aunt Tilly's birthday!


Emerald Creek Craft Supplies used:


Other supplies used:

Michaels 'Thank You' cards
Arches 140 lb cold press watercolour paper
Ruler
Acrylic stamping block
Tim Holtz/ Ranger Distress inks - Tumbled Glass, Salty Ocean, Chipped Sapphire
Flat paint brush
Water brush
Tape runner
Foam pop dots

 I hope you will be able to take a minute to pop on over to Emerald Creek Dares to see what my team mates have to share with you and that you will be inspired to join in our Sweet Fades challenge.  And no worries, you can take longer than ten minutes to make your project if need be but it's fun to see what you can accomplish when that clock is ticking!  As always, Kim has a very generous gift certificate to her online store, Emerald Creek Craft Supplies for one lucky participant in our challenge so hope you will enter and good luck!

Deb xo

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful card Debs, I love the stamp and the wonderful colours
    Kevin xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm like you Deb, the turtle of the race kind of crafter. I would end up with a mess! Your card looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful Deb!! Your ombre is excellent..you must show me how it's done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your card Deb! The ombre effect is fantastic. Love how your used Nicole's stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty card. Blue has always been my favorite color

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous ombré technique and beautiful card xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this Deb, perfect choice of colours and you make the ombre look so simple. The little popped up flowers really make the difference too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so pretty, love how you popped up just a few of the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful cards, love the sky ombre affect you created with the water coloring, it worked so well with Nicole Wright Designs flowers from Emerald Creek Supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gentle, subtle and delightful - lovely simplicity.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo