Thursday, August 25, 2016

The Last Of The Meandering Books - Ocean Denizens

Hello everyone, hope you are having a great week.  I've just completed the last pages in our ongoing meandering book swap at Mixed Media Studio (click here to see links to all of the previous pages I've completed) and have sent it on it's way.  The owner of this book had asked that we create pages on the theme of Ocean/Sea Life and I also discovered that she is an avid scuba diver so here is one of the pages that I created for her.


If you recall, each page in the book is made from 4x4 fabric panels sewn together and as the books have traveled around Canada and the U.S., each recipient of the book has been decorating two of the pages.

I started this 'Ocean Denizens' page with a 4x4 square of cardstock printed with a vintage map of a cay in  Belize, which seemed rather appropriate!  Ground up walnut shells were mixed with Ranger Translucent Matte texture paste and glopped along the bottom for sand.  I found this vintage giant clam illustration online, resized it and coloured it with Distress markers.  The image was cut in two along the line of the upper shell and I tucked in some pirate treasure (aka bits of old jewelry!)


Tim Holtz's Holiday Greens die made lovely seaweed in behind and I played with Ranger Shrink plastic for the first time and stamped the seashell from the Simon Says Stamp/Tim Holtz Stamptember 2015 release and coloured it with alcohol inks.  Hard to believe I know that I've never used Shrink plastic before, boy is it fun!

More Shrink plastic was die cut with Tim Holtz's Mini Apothecary Movers & Shapers and coloured with alcohol ink to make the mini message in a bottle at the feet of the hard hat diver.


And yes, I even made a teeny tiny message to put in said bottle!

The hard hat diver image was one I found online, I believe it is an illustration from a vintage diving manual.  I coloured the etching with Distress inks and markers and then added some bakers twine for his air hoses (good air in, bad air out!) since the air hoses on the illustration did not extend paste the top of his diving helmet.  You can't see it in the picture but I also added a drop of Glossy Accents over the face plate on his helmet.


One of Tim Holtz's Wildflower die cuts made for more loverly seaweed in behind the diver.

And last but certainly not least, I found this magnificent giant Pacific octopus image at The Graphics Fairy and used artistic license to add him to my Caribbean diving scene :O)


He was resized and fussy cut with scissors and a finger knife and then I added a bit of fun foam under his body and glued down all those lovely arms so he looked like he was floating down to protect his treasure from the marauding diver, look out buddy!

I did make another page for this book but unfortunately the picture didn't turn out too well and the book was on it's way back to it's owner before I realized.  I do hope that she will like both of them though, I had great fun making them.  I can't wait to get my meandering book back and as soon as it arrives (and we get back from holidays) I will post some pictures so you can see how it was decorated by all of the participants.  My theme was Nature/Outdoors so really excited to see what everyone created!

I'd like to enter my Ocean Denizens 4x4 page into the following challenge:

Mixed Media World - MMW #17 - Summer/Sea/Nautical

I've just about completed all of my upcoming projects for September and October in preparation for my absence during our holidays in September and have them scheduled to publish while we are away.  Hoping it all goes smoothly as we will be without internet or cell phone connections so I'll have no way of checking to make sure, wish me luck!  I don't know if I'll get back before we leave so just in case I will say bye for now and have a wonderful September.  Thanks as always for visiting, happy creating and see you in October!

Deb xo
 

5 comments:

  1. Deb she'll love this page in her book.I'll go and check all the other pages, and pop back tomorrow to see how to's.
    Cheers
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fabulous page Deb, I love the diver (great find) and the octopus is fabulous!! I love the hint of the map in the background and the jewellery piece in the clam shell. Brilliant work! I hope you have a wonderful holiday. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb this is beyond amazing! The octopus is just gorgeous. Shrink plastic is such fun isn't it, I use it a lot. Have a wonderful holiday, enjoy every minute xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great page. I love how you did the bottle with the little message in it. The sand looks very realistic and how clever to use the bakers twine for the air hoses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is so beautiful. i love the diver and the scene...great done

    greets
    Alexa

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo