Thursday, September 29, 2016

Happy Thanksgiving Rustic Wall Hanging

Hello and thank you for stopping by.  A new challenge has started at Emerald Creek Dares for October and this month Kim has dared us with the theme of 'Give Thanks'.  For those of us in Canada, Thanksgiving Day is rapidly approaching; we will be celebrating Thanksgiving on October 10th; so I decided to make a Happy Thanksgiving wall hanging in a rustic style.


I used Emerald Creek Craft Supplies Eldergrove, Pine Cones and Schoolhouse stamps along with their Flower Crest brads in conjunction with some Tim Holtz/Sizzix dies and Distress inks.  And while I usually have step out photos to show you my process I totally forgot to take any this time, sorry about that!  I'll attempt to explain what I did while showing you some close ups and hope that will suffice.

Manila cardstock was coloured with multiple shades of yellow Distress inks using Tim Holtz's wrinkle free distress technique along with spritz and flick with water and a spray of Biscotti Perfect Pearls mist.


The Eldergrove stamp was stamped three times across the width of the card with Potting Soil Archival ink.  I used this same stamp on my last make for Emerald Creek Dares Anniversary celebration where it was the star of the show so wanted to use it again to demonstrate how it makes a wonderful background stamp as well.  The Pine Cones stamp was also stamped three times along the bottom and clear embossed.  The Schoolhouse was stamped onto a separate piece of card with Potting Soil Archival ink and clear embossed and then the door and roof line were coloured with a Walnut Prismacolor marker and the windows with a Cream Prismacolor marker.  The 'cabin' was fussy cut, mounted onto some black fun foam, applied at the base of the Eldergrove trees and some chimney smoke was scribbled in with black and white Dylusion pens.

Three Flower Crest brads were inserted on each side of the cabin along the base of the Eldergrove trees.


I contemplated embossing or painting them but their lovely copper colour coordinated perfectly so I left them 'au naturel'!

Four strips were cut from black Coredinations cardstock with Tim Holtz's Stitched Rectangles die and the strips were sanded to reveal the kraft core.  The strips were then adhered around the edges of the Distress ink coloured card for a border.


The word 'thanksgiving' was die cut from brown cardstock with Tim Holtz's Alphanumeric dies and I cut the negative die cut to size and adhered it to the Distress ink coloured cardstock base.


'Happy' was die cut twice from the same brown cardstock and black fun foam with Tim Holtz's Holiday Words 2:Script die.  The two die cuts were layered together and adhered to the card base.  Three Sizzix Arbor leaves were die cut from card coloured with multiple shades of yellow and orange Distress inks and adhered above the word 'thanksgiving' along with a jute string bow.

The whole assembly was then mounted onto a backing made from a piece of cardboard that I roughly tore the top layer off of, to expose the corrugations below.


I finger painted the torn cardboard with gesso and once dry inked it with a couple of shade of brown Distress ink, spritzed it with Gathered Twigs Distress Stain and spattered it with some diluted black and white acrylic paint.  A piece of jute string was used for a hanger.

Hope you've enjoyed seeing my Happy Thanksgiving rustic wall hanging and that you will feel inspired to join in our Give Thanks challenge at Emerald Creek Dares.


You don't have to use a Thanksgiving theme for your creation, the Give Thanks theme can be interpreted whatever way you like, make sure to check out what my fellow design team members have created to spark your imagination!  As always, Kim is offering up a very generous gift certificate to her online store, Emerald Creek Craft Supplies, so hope you will join in the fun.  Thanks again for stopping by and happy creating!

Deb xo

8 comments:

  1. Fabulous Happy Thanksgiving Wall Hanging!!! Love how you used the negative space from the dies to do Thanksgiving...cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Thanksgiving decoration. Hard to believe it's almost that time of year already

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool and what gorgeous Autumn colors! I LOVE the house in the middle of these woods!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful thanksgiving wall decoration.
    Hugs sabine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love this Deb!! I think you're creativity has made me need that Eldergrove stamp!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic piece Deb! Love the Autumn colours!
    - Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to be late, but in this case I'm so glad I eventually made it by to see this wonderful wall hanging up close. What a gorgeous background-love those techniques! And your leaves look like they just fell off the tree! Perfect combination of stamps to set the scene and your smoke going up the chimney is my favorite detail. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    PS I appreciate you words of support about our weather. It seems it's just started, and our power has already been intermittent. I woke up to a tornado warning early this morning and found the power and internet available. So happy to be able to use this time to have a peek at some of my favorite blogs. (Threat is over, of course, and thankfully no tornado.) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness Deb! I can't believe how many pieces you fit across this project. And I literally never thought to make that school house a little cabin in the woods. So genius. Thank you for bring your awesome talent to the team.

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo