Thursday, September 15, 2016

Presence Of Wonder Mixed Media Plaque

Hello everyone and thanks so much for stopping by.  I have a special post to share with you today, it's the anniversary of the first ever Emerald Creek design team blog post and to celebrate, Kim asked us to create an Anything Goes project with the theme of WONDERlust in mind.

With thoughts of celebrations and wonder dancing through my head, I ended up creating this Presence of Wonder mixed media plaque, utilizing lots of wonderful items from Emerald Creek Craft Supplies.


Happy blogaversary Emerald Creek!


I have some step out photos of how I created my plaque, so grab a cup of your favourite beverage and read on.

I started out with a piece of manila cardstock and coloured it with Distress stains (Stormy Sky, Faded Jeans, Chipped Sapphire and Blueprint Sketch) using Tim Holtz's wrinkle free distress technique and spritz and flick with water.


I made a mask for the Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous Treeline stamp and sprayed the Distress ink coloured card with Brushed Pewter Distress Mica spray.  Wish I could really show you the wonderful shimmer you achieve with this spray but the camera just doesn't want to pick it up.

Next, I inked up the same Treeline stamp with Jet Black Archival ink and stamped it onto the sprayed and inked cardstock.


I then inked Emerald Creek's Eldergrove stamp with the same ink and stamped it multiple times in front of the Treeline stamp, embossing each stamping with clear embossing powder.  The Eldergrove stamp complements the Treeline stamp beautifully.

Time for some celebration fireworks!  I inked Emerald Creeks The Works stamp with Color Box Frost White pigment ink and embossed it with some Emerald Creek Iridescent Shimmer embossing powder.  I then reinked The Works stamp with Wendy Vecchi's Red Geranium Archival ink, stamped it over the first stamping and embossed again with Iridescent Shimmer embossing powder.  Love the ghosting effect of the two stampings overtop each other!  Again, wish the camera could pick up the shimmer from the embossing powder, it's wonderful.


Alcohol inks came out next (Pitch Black, Mushroom, Stonewash, Pool) and I coloured the Believe Buckle Connector charm and two Heart brads from Emerald Creek Craft Supplies along with a length of Tim Holtz's Tinsel Twine.  I slid the buckle connector charm onto the tinsel twine after heating the tinsel twine slightly with my heat gun.

I really wanted to use the 'presence of wonder' stamp from the Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous Handwritten Thoughts stamp set but it was too large for my project.  So I stamped the saying onto some card, scanned it into my computer and then resized it to the size I needed.  I printed it out onto some 110 lb white cardstock and then painted the sentiment with Tumbled Glass Distress stain and cut it out after it had dried.


The sentiment was mounted onto black cardstock and then I added a thick coating of Glossy Accents glue overtop to finish it off.  It was a bit of a procedure to get it resized for my project but worth it in the end I think!

Here are a few closeups of the finished plaque.  I distressed and inked the edges of the stamped card and mounted it onto a piece of chipboard packaging covered front and back with paper from the Recollections Tattered and Worn paper stack (discontinued I'm afraid to say), adding a piece of black fun foam in between for dimension.




The sentiment was also mounted on black fun foam for dimension, here's a side view.  You can just get a glimpse of the Small Easel that I die cut from black cardstock on the back of the plaque for display purposes.


Hope you have enjoyed seeing how I put my Presence Of Wonder mixed media plaque together.


And I also hope that you will join in our Anything Goes anniversary challenge over at Emerald Creek Dares.  There's a very generous $50.00 gift certificate up for grabs to the Emerald Creek Craft Supplies online store so head to your craft room and get creating!  Can't wait to see what you link up,

Deb xo

8 comments:

  1. Absolutely love this Deb!! Love the layering of the trees and the quote you used is perfect! Always inspired by your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, what a gorgeous plaque filled with some wonderful techniques! Starting with that lovely blue background to the embossed trees in the foreground, you have really given this scene a sense of depth. Layering up the fireworks is a genius creative moment! Great make! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful mixed media plaque Deb. Love that eldergrove stamp and how you used it in front of the other stamp. This makes me want to go sit outside tonight and look for wonder in the skies!!! Xj.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Mixed Media Plaque Deb! I love how you created your background and used the Eldergrove stamp to create depth. Fantastic job!
    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fabulous. Love the look of the trees on that background.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super piece in gorgeous colours! Loved that beautifu backgroundd and reat work with those trees!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous piece to celebrate one year for emerald creek, this really gives the feel of awe and wonder. Brilliant designing Deb xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Deb, I love your background, and what a fabulous quote xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo