Thursday, October 27, 2016

Boo Halloween Card

Hello and thank you for stopping by my crypt, er, I mean blog!  Halloween is just around the corner and it's getting pretty creepy around here, today I have a Boo Halloween card to share with you that I made for our current challenge at Emerald Creek Dares.


Bwa-ha-ha-ha, the bats have come out to play again!  I used Emerald Creek Craft Supplies' Batting Practice and Skare D Cat stamps and new Steampunk Bat charms, grab a cup of hemlock and read on for the how to!

I started out by colouring manila cardstock with multiple colours of yellow and orange Distress inks (Mustard Seed, Fossilized Amber, Wild Honey, Carved Pumpkin and Spiced Marmelade).


The card was then stamped with Tim Holtz's Damask background stamp using Potting Soil Archival ink and embossed with the Cracked embossing folder and the arched Embossing Diffuser Set #2.  The raised embossing was highlighted with Frayed Burlap Distress ink.

Skare D Cat was stamped inside the unembossed arch with Black Soot Archival ink and embossed with clear embossing powder.


The Batting Practice bats were stamped onto white cardstock with Black Soot Archival ink, clear embossed and then coloured with Hickory Smoke Distress ink and fussy cut.

Manila cardstock was coloured with Barn Door, Fired Brick and Aged Mahogany Distress inks and die cut with the Tim Holtz/Sizzix Drip Edge die.


I couldn't find a background paper in my stash that had enough red in it to coordinate with the bloody drips so decided to create my own. Manila cardstock was coloured with the same colours of Distress inks as I'd used for the Drip Edge die cut and then it was stenciled with Black Soot Distress ink through the Dylusions/Ranger Alphabet Border Large stencil.

A card blank was made from black cardstock and the card was assembled.  The Drip Edge die cut was adhered overtop of the embossed card.  Everything was edged with Black Soot DI for an appropriate amount of grungy spooky goodness!


 The fussy cut bats were mounted on pieces of black fun foam over top the poor Skare D Cat!


He doesn't look impressed!


That wonderful Steampunk Bat charm was coloured with black alcohol ink and adhered with E6000 glue to make sure it stayed in place.  Love the detail of this charm!


And for a finishing touch, I did a second generation stamping of the Batting Practice bats inside the card using white pigment ink along with the appropriate 'BOO' sentiment that was stenciled with Tim Holtz's Halloween Script layering stencil and Americana acrylic paint.


I hope that I didn't scare you too badly with my Boo Halloween card!


Pop on over to the Emerald Creek Dares blog to see what my teammates have created for you and there is still time for you to enter our current challenge where we are celebrating all things fall.  Kim is now offering up a very generous $50.00 gift certificate to her online store Emerald Creek Craft Supplies to our monthly winner,


plus you also get 10% off your order just for entering the challenge!


Hope to see you there, can't wait to see what you link up, and as always happy creating!

Deb xo

11 comments:

  1. Wonderful colours and beautiful background Deb! I love how the cat is looking scared of the bat! Great card, not too scary at all... Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this creation Deb!! You nailed that red background! I love the embossed background too! Spooky and beautiful at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun and fabulously delicious Halloween card, Deb! I love your background techniques and resulted outcome! Gorgeous Halloween colors and great embossing! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome texture everywhere, Deb! Wow!
    Love your bright and fun Halloween card and all the yummy texture you have created on it so cleverly!

    Hugs,
    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo...love all your fun details, Deb! The cat and bats are a perfect match. Fantastic texture and wonderful blood drips. Great creepy fun card. Cool inside greeting too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome card Deb! Your background on your card is awesome. I would have never though to add the steampunk bat to the bottom of the cat. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a spooktacular card. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fabulous card Deb, love the colours and design and the cat and bats are a brilliant combination xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well BOO right back at cha Deb! I love your card, these colours make me happy and so does your bats and scaredy cat! Have a brilliant Halloween xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spooktacular card...love all that fabby mixed media and that bat charm, oh my!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great card Deb. Love the colours and the details, brilliant. Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo