Thursday, November 3, 2016

Merry And Bright Reverse Canvas

Hello everyone, it's a new month and that means it's time for a new challenge over at A Vintage JourneyAlison is our lovely hostess this month and the theme she has chosen is Cracking Up, here is her brief:

Your crackle can be stamped, painted, stenciled, made with a glaze, paint or paste, or even just good old fashioned craft glue but to be a winner or Pinworthy the crackle should be a significant feature in your work, and your project must fulfill our Travelling Instructions and be in a mixed media, vintage, art journaling, shabby, steampunk, or industrial style, or any combination of those genres.
Our generous sponsor this month is Tando Creative


They are offering one of their brand new art journaling kits to our random winner!

Now I'm not quite sure how it happened but my project ended up becoming full on Christmas and I love it!  My original concept was a woodland theme incorporating that wonderful deer from Tim Holtz's Scribble Woodland stamp set and his Tree Line die but once those two were together I started to hear Christmas carols and away I went.


I used just about every crackle medium that I own in making my Merry & Bright reverse canvas and incorporated many of Tim Holtz's new Christmas releases so grab a cup of mulled wine or hot chocolate and read on to see how I created it.

I started out with an 8" x 8" stretched artists canvas that I had already gessoed and covered the frame with some neutral grayish coloured scrapbooking paper and Glue n' Seal (I thought Glue n' Seal had been discontinued but see on Ranger's site that they have brought it back, yay!)


I applied Wendy Vecchi's Crackled Texture paste through the new Nordic layering stencil around the edges of the frame and, once it had dried, applied a wash of Americana Payne's Grey acrylic paint diluted with Americana Glazing medium and water.  I wiped back the glazing medium from the crackled texture paste to reveal all those lovely cracks.

A piece of 110 lb white cardstock was painted with Walnut Stain Distress paint, a coat of DecoArt Weathered Wood and finally a coat of Americana Cool White acrylic paint.  Look at all those lovely crackles!


The prepared cardstock was given a coat of Distress Vintage collage medium to warm it up and then it was cut into strips of varying widths and the edges aged with Ground Espresso Distress Archival ink.  The strips were then adhered to the inside of the reverse canvas to give the impression of an aged, peeling barn board wall.  I know that I saw this technique on someone's blog but am darned if I can remember where so if this was your brilliant idea let me know so I can give you proper credit!

More cardstock was coloured with multiple shades of green Distress inks using the wrinkle free distress technique and spritz and flick with water and the Tree Line die was cut.


The die cut was sealed with Distress Crazing Collage medium and coloured with Pine Needles DI to bring out the fine crazed lines.

More cardstock was coloured in the same manner but this time I applied the Distress Crazing Collage Medium to the cardstock before die cutting it with the Mini Holiday Greens die.


Mini Paper Snowflakes were die cut from white 110 lb. cardstock, painted with Rock Candy Distress Crackle paint and then sprayed with Blueprint Sketch Distress spray stain and Brushed Pewter Distress Mica spray.  They were a little too blue for my liking so after this picture was taken I ended up spraying them again with Picket Fence Distress spray stain and Heidi Swapp White Color Shine spray to knock back some of the blue colour.

Another piece of 110 lb. white cardsock was painted with Rock Candy Distress Crackle paint and then glazed with Americana Dark Chocolate acrylic paint diluted with Americana Glazing medium and water.  The glaze was wiped back to reveal the crackles and that wonderful sketchy deer from Tim's Scribble Woodland stamp set was stamped with Ground Espresso Distress Archival ink and fussy cut.


The Ornate Frame #2 die was cut from Grunge Paper and coloured with Ground Espresso Distress stain.  I then embossed the frame with Burnt Copper Leaves embossing powder and discovered, much to my surprise, that Grunge paper shrinks considerably when heated!  So my frame ended up being smaller than I'd planned but it all worked out in the end.

The Tree Line die cut and prepared Ornate Frame were adhered onto the barn board backing inside the reverse canvas.


And then, in my usual style, I got on a roll and forgot to take any more in progress pictures so will have to show you some closeups of the finished project and describe what I did.

I took a piece of green Winter Tinsel Twine, heated it to curl up the tinsel strands and adhered it to the deer's neck along with a couple of holly leaves from the Mini Holiday Greens die cuts and some dots of red Stickles Glitter glue.  The deer was shaded here and there with Ground Espresso Distress ink.


The deer's antlers were coated with Glossy Accents and Clear Rock Candy Distress Glitter and the deer was then mounted on some fun foam inside the Ornate Frame.

The Merry & Bright sentiment from the Festive Sketch stamp set was stamped with Black Soot Distress Archival ink and clear embossed onto the same crackled cardstock as the deer.  The sentiment was die cut with a Spellbinders Labels #8 die, edged with Ground Espresso Distress ink and mounted on some fun foam for dimension.


Silver Deco sheet was adhered onto cardstock, coloured with Mushroom alcohol ink and then die cut with the Dimensional Stars die.  Love these wonderful stars!

I cut down one of Tim's large Woodland Trees slightly and sprayed it with Peeled Paint, Mowed Lawn and Lucky Clover Distress spray stain.  The tree was then embossed with Soft Fallen Snow embossing powder and given a light coating of Clear Rock Candy Distress glitter as well.  The base was covered with a piece of Symphony Tissue tape and then glued into position along the bottom of the frame.


The new Baubles Findings were coloured with alcohol ink (Lettuce, Red Pepper and Silver Mixative) following Tim's brilliant instructions from his Facebook Live video (click here to watch, it's so simple and works like a charm!) and then glued into place with Glossy Accents.

I added some of the Mini Holiday Greens, Christmas ephemera from Tim Holtz's Festive Epehemera pack and from my own stash along with a crackled Mini Paper Snowflake to each corner of the reverse canvas.  Each snowflake got a bit of Stickles Glitter glue in the center for more sparkle.


And that was it!  Here are a couple more closeups of the finished project.




Thanks so much for stopping by today to take a peek at my Merry & Bright mixed media reverse canvas.


I hope that you can take a minute to visit A Vintage Journey to see what my fellow Creative Guides have made to inspire you, as always they do not disappoint.  And I can't wait to see what you make with your crackle products, stamps and stencils so get cracking everyone and happy creating!

Deb xo

18 comments:

  1. Fab tutorial, Deb!! Love your crackles, but also all the step-outs- very clear and helpful!! And your final project is wonderful - getting me into the upcoming holiday season excitement! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely project Deb. I like that shade of blue and the crackle is awesome. S@ndy xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything about this wonderful project Deb! The crackled 'wood' looks fabulous and I love the deer in the beautiful frame - his tinsel adornment is such fun! Love this! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb, I'm not sure you can hear me all the way up there, but I am squealing in delight over your festive reverse canvas! there are so many details that bring this to life...I can almost smell the scent of pine and hear Christmas carols being sung!I have to start with that amazing frame--GOR-JUSS! I would have never thought to purchase that stencil, but now I know I need it! Your wood panels are AMAZING and the most realistic I've ever seen! The deer, the tree, the frame...everything! I'm in love! And your tutorial is fabulous; pinned for future reference! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas and the whole piece came together in an awesome fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful Deb, positively wonderful! I love the crackle on the wood and clean colours throughout this festive beauty xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just WONDERFUL Deb - the crackled wood is amazing and the beautiful deer just gorgeous! A real festive wonder! Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Superb crackle effects on the the outside and the inside of your reversed canvas Deb. Such a super Christmas project!! Beautifully put together! This will either make a great gift or a fantastic piece of Christmas decor!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful Christmas themed reverse canvas ! Debs . It has such a 'feel good factor' about it - probably all those lovely shades of green coupled with the blues of the frame and the little pops of red . Fabulous crackle thoughout and those weathered panels are fantastic .
    hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just delightful Deb - I am smiling big. This piece is just so fun and light hearted - it just makes me feel happy. And it's beautifully done - the crackle looks super! What a super way to end my day. I so enjoyed your creativity! Xj.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fantastic. I just love the crackled look. This whole project came together perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anything with crackle is a plus! LOVE the bright colors of your box, and love that background paneling! The border is a wonderful touch too! Great project and so inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is simply brilliant, Deb - so glad you decided to join in! I love your crackled planks - perfect weathered wood look, and the delicate crackled stencilling on the frame is so pretty. Altogether gorgeous!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful Christmas canvas!!! I love the crackled wooden background and the stencilling on the frame is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A wonderful reverse canvas Deb with great details and crackles.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Deb this is gorgeous, love all the details and your special little touches xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful Christmas scene Deb! Your crackled woodgrain background sets off your framed deer so nicely! love the decorated tree and pretty stenciling around your reversed frame - such a festive decoration for the season! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your reverse canvas is stunning debs x love the colours and details, especially the crackled background x a beautiful Christmas home decor piece

    Tfs and huge hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo