Monday, November 7, 2016

Reindeer Joy Christmas Card

Hello, back again today as promised with rejected Christmas card #2 :O)  If you are wondering what in the heck I'm talking about, this is the second card I made back in July to submit to a magazine for publication that didn't quite make the cut.  But I really do love it and am hoping you will too and that you will get some inspiration from it for your own Christmas card crafting this year.


I used the winter card sketch from Scrapbook & Cards Today to make my Reindeer Joy Christmas card and changed the orientation of the sketch from vertical to horizontal.


I took some step out photos as I was making it, read on for the how-to!

I started with a white cardstock card blank and covered the front with a floral paper from the My Mind's Eye Holiday Cheer paper pad (all papers used were from this collection). 


A piece of the red polka dot paper was cut to be about 1/4" smaller on all sides and layered over top, the edges of both papers were distressed before adhering them.

The next layer was created from two different papers, a green toile paper was topped with the stags head paper and a line of silver glitter glue was added to disguise where the two papers joined.  The edges of this paper were distressed as well and layered overtop of the red polka dot paper.


Cardstock was coloured with multiple colours of green Distress inks and some holly was die cut with the Holiday Greens die.  The holly was layered underneath a square of red toile paper that was oriented vertically and adhered into place.

A vintage German postcard image from my stash was resized and cut into a tag shape.  The edges were distressed and a bit of white cotton twine was added as a hanger.


The scallop from the Stitched Ovals dies was cut from red polka dot paper but it got lost against the red damask paper when I put the card together so I die cut a second scallop from some evergreen tree paper and layered it overtop (see the closeup pics).

Cardstock was coloured with multiple shades of brown Distress inks and the deer was die cut with the Prancing Deer die.  A second deer was die cut from white fun foam and layered underneath the Distress ink coloured deer for some dimension.


The 'joy' sentiment was die cut with the Holiday Words:Script die from silver Deco sheets and coloured with some Rust alcohol ink.

And then the card was assembled, here are a few closeups.

A brad from Tim Holtz's Festive Fasteners was added to the scalloped border and here you can see how I layered the two die cut borders.


A bit of green Winter Tinsel Twine was heated to curl up the longer tinsel pieces and wrapped around the prancing deer die cut with a Jingle Brad.


As a finishing touch, the entire card was spattered with diluted white acrylic paint 'cause what's a Christmas card without some snow!


Here's a side view so you can see the dimension, love all those tattered layers!


Hope you have enjoyed seeing my Reindeer Joy Christmas card, I really do love how it came together with the help of that wonderful card sketch from Scrapbook & Cards Today.


And hope you've gotten a bit of inspiration for making your own Christmas cards, there are so many wonderful ideas out there in blogland so get creating and have fun!

Deb xo

12 comments:

  1. Reject??? I think not! But I'm amazed you are so inspired to make Christmas cards in July! It will never happen here! I love your layered papers and that reindeer is beyond gorgeous! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think they missed a wonderful opportunity Deb because this card is drop dead gorgeous, I love all the layers, the beautiful papers and the lovely reindeer! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe this was rejected. They must not know a great card when they see one. This is just amazing and I love everything about it. The deer is awesome and I just love the vintage post card you made into a tag

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again, I cannot imagine why your card was a reject. I love all those Christmasy details and layers. The postcard tag is so clever. You're definitely inspiring me and getting me in the mood to get started on some cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no this is gorgeous Deb and definitely another that wouldn't be rejected here, love the design and gorgeous layers. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful layers and scene. LOVE that deer...and all the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bah humbug they must be mad to reject your card Deb, it's gorgeous! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deb, this card is just Sooo lovely! Anyone would be thrilled to receive it.Thanks for all the tips on how you created this lovely one.
    Judy xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Deb, I am so loving this card all the gorgeous layers. Love it to bit! Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes, I love this Reindeer Joy card. So colorful and dimensional. Maybe some day I will attempt to make a card.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK, well they're just crazy to not want to publish this one Deb, I am loving it!! Traditional red and green, my favourite. A noble reindeer focal piece with a wintery cottage tag, helllloooo, how me is that!! A glittery Joy sentiment, lots of lovely distressed layers... love love love!! sending hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for sharing! This is a gorgeous card and should have been published.

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo