Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Shimmering Fall Leaves Plaque

This is my first of two posts today, if you are looking for my Emerald Creek Dares post click here.

Hello, it's November 1st (say what?!) and that means it is time for another challenge at Mixed Media Mojo.  This month our theme is Autumn with the twist of adding Metallics.


I decided to add lots of metallic accents to my project for this month's challenge and ended up making this Shimmering Fall Leaves mixed media plaque.


I used Ranger Metal Foil tape sheets, Deco foil and metallic embossing powder and this plaque really does shimmer in the light with all those wonderful metallic accents.  I've a few step out photos to show you, enjoy!

I started out with a piece of Ranger Specialty stamping paper cut to 5" x 7" and stamped Tim Holtz's Leaf Prints with clear embossing ink and then heat embossed with copper embossing powder.


Next I coloured the stamping paper with multiple shades of blue Distress inks, using the wrinkle free technique, and dried it thoroughly (just be careful not to remelt the embossing powder when drying the ink!).

I edged the stamping paper with gold Deco foil, using a method demonstrated by Tim Holtz on his November 2015 tag.


Foil tape was adhered to kraft cardstock and die cut with the Leaf Blueprint die and then I stamped the leaf blueprint image onto the foiled leaf with Ground Espresso Archival ink.  I ended up colouring the leaf with alcohol inks and had to restamp the Leaf Blueprint image with the archival ink after the leaf was coloured.

More leaves were punched from the foil covered card with two sizes of oak leaf punches by Recollections and they were coloured with multiple fall colours of alcohol inks.  I also die cut some Arbor leaves but ended up not using them in the end, they will come in handy for my art journal page that I'll be sharing with you on the 14th for Art Journal Monday :O)


The banner from the Leaf Blueprint stamp set was stamped onto Specialty stamping paper with Ground Espresso Archival ink and the word 'beauty' was stamped with some $1 store alphabet stamps.  The banner was then die cut with the coordinating die and edged with Ground Espresso DI.

To back the plaque, a piece of thick chipboard packaging was covered with burlap on the front and a piece of scrapbooking paper from one of Tim's paper stacks on the back (sorry, not sure which one the paper is from!).  I shaded the burlap with some more Ground Espresso DI.


A Small Easel was die cut from the same Tim Holtz paper and added to the back as a stand for the plaque.  You can also see that I popped up the large leaf and the word banner on some fun foam for dimension.


Here are a few more pictures of the finished plaque, I randomly scattered the punched oak leaves around the large leaf.




Thanks so much for stopping by today, I hope that you have enjoyed seeing my Shimmering Fall Leaves mixed media plaque!


Please pop by Mixed Media Mojo to see what my teamies have made to inspire you and I hope you will join in our Autumn with the twist of Metallics challenge this month.  Can't wait to see what you link up, happy creating!

Deb xo

7 comments:

  1. Wow Deb, this is just gorgeous!! I am loving that background, the blues really help your focal piece stand out, and speaking of that leaf... holy moly, love it!!! The metallic is just amazing and so reflects the vibrancy of the autumn sun and colours! Beautiful! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEYOND BEAUTIFUL Deb. I am just AWE STRUCK by it's SHIMMERING SPLENDOR. My fav time of year and fav colors makes this total eye candy for me. GORGEOUS. Thanks bunches for starting my day off with such LOVLINESS! Xj.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your plaque Deb, it is fabulous! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous. That leaf is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous Deb, the textures and colours are wonderful xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful texture and metallics on this lovely canvas Deb - Love that it stands on an easel! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is just stunning..that you for using our Deco Foil for this! Have you tried our Deco Foil Foam Sheets?

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo