Thursday, November 17, 2016

Simply Navy Art Journal Page

Hello and welcome, I am thrilled to tell you that I am guest designer over at Berry71Bleu today, thank you so much to Denise and the rest of the design team for giving me this opportunity!  Berry71Bleu's challenge for the month of November is 'Navy Is My Neutral' and this gorgeous mood board is the inspiration for their challenge.


I decided to make an art journal page for my guest designer project and chose as my inspiration from the mood board the chevrons, the newsprint, those beautiful iridescent feathers and the acorns.  I also incorporated the gold from the chevrons into my design and here is my Simply Navy art journal page.


I interpreted the acorns from the mood board as oak leaves in my design since I don't have any acorn dies or images and as the saying goes 'mighty oaks from little acorns grow'!

I started my journal page by stamping Plain Tissue Wrap with Tim Holtz's Ledger Script stamp and Jet Black Archival ink.


The stamped tissue wrap was decoupaged onto the journal page with Distress matte collage medium, making sure to add some wrinkles for added texture, and then the edges were trimmed after the medium had dried.

Stenciling came next with Ranger Transparent texture paste through the Chevron layering stencil.  I actually meant to use gloss transparent texture paste so after it had dried I added a layer of Glossy Accents glue overtop of the texture paste chevrons.


And then in my usual style I got on a roll and forgot to take step out photos so I'll explain my steps!  The page was dragged through Blueprint Sketch and Chipped Sapphire Distress stains/sprays after the chevrons had dried, repeating several times to get the depth of colour I wanted but not so dark that the script stamping would be hidden.  The chevrons were each covered with a thin layer of Platinum Stickles glitter glue and then two pieces of BoBunny Beautiful Dreamer paper were distressed around the edges and layered onto the left side of the page.

Some oak leaves were punched with two sizes of Recollections punches from the BoBunny dictionary print paper and the sentiment from Tim Holtz's Perspective stamp set was stamped with Jet Black Archival ink and clear embossed onto the backside of the dark numeral print BoBunny paper.


The Leaf Blueprint die was used to cut the oak leaf from kraft coloured corrugated paper and the leaf was lightly inked with several shades of orange/rust Distress inks.  A glue stick was lightly run over the corrugations and gold Deco Foil was adhered here and there onto the leaf.

The feather from Tim's Bird Feather stamp set was stamped onto 110 lb. cardstock, first with Simon Says Stamp's Soft Navy dye ink and then lightly again with Jet Black Archival ink to deepen the navy colour (my new Misti made restamping the image a breeze!).


 After fussy cutting, the feather was embossed with Iridescent Shimmer embossing powder.

And then the page was assembled.  I ended up adding a cascade of gold micro beads underneath the small oak leaves and feather to help tie the page together.


Here are a few more closeups.





I'd like to thank Berry71Bleu once again for asking me to be a guest designer on their blog and hope that you have all enjoyed seeing my Simply Navy art journal page.


If you can, head on over to their blog and give them a follow, they are an incredibly talented group of artisans and have wonderful inspirational challenges each month.  And get out your navy paints, inks and papers and join in their November 'Navy Is My Neutral' challenge, I had so much fun making mine.  Thanks for stopping by today and as always, happy creating!

Deb xo

3 comments:

  1. I love seeing your process steps Deb and this is such a gorgeous design xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous. Blue is my all time favorite color. I love the background and how tissue paper can give you such an amazing texture. I thought the feather was a real one until I scrolled down and saw you had stamped it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A gorgeous art journal page Deb! ;-) Love all the details and seeing your creative process! ;-) Love the sentiment too! ;-) Thanks ever so much for Guest Designing for us at Berry71Bleu this month....much appreciated! xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo