Thursday, December 29, 2016

Leftovers Tag

Hello everyone, hope this finds you all well and ready to celebrate the New Year.  I can hardly fathom that it will be 2017 in a few days but the calendar doesn't lie!  I'm here today to share a tag with you that I made for our Tag Friday post over at A Vintage Journey.  In every month with 5 Fridays, the Creative Guides can just have fun and create a tag in any style or theme that they want, I love Tag Fridays!

I decided for my tag that it was high time that I dove into my ever expanding pile of leftover bits and bobs from projects I've created this last year (and truth be told, there are probably more than a few bits left over from previous years!).  Here is the 'tovers' tag that I ended up creating, amazing what materializes when you throw all of those leftovers into one pot!


I've a few step out photos, hope you will enjoy seeing them.

I started out by quite literally dumping all my leftovers onto my desk and separating them into piles of die cuts, fibers, images, etc.  Have to admit this is only a small portion of my leftovers, must make a New Year's resolution to start using them up!


It was no surprise that neutrals and browns were the predominate colours in my leftovers pile so I coloured a Distress Mixed Media Heavystock tag with Tea Stain, Vintage Photo and Walnut Ink Distress inks using my favourite wrinkle free distress technique as a base.

I wanted a bit more interest on my background so I broke out the Flourish layering stencil which I hadn't used for a while and inked through it with Frayed Burlap Distress ink.


Then I started to layer some of the leftovers - a bit of coffee stained cheesecloth, a Stitched Oval frame and a length of burlap twine.

I had a fragment of a tag that I'd cut up, think it was a Remnant Rub resist tag that hadn't quite turned out the way I'd wanted, and I centered the bee image under a large clear glass cabochon and glued it on with Glossy Accents.


Some black silhouette Wildflower die cuts were added along the bottom and the cabochon was adhered to the top of the Stitched Oval frame.

And then in my usual style I got on a roll and forgot to take any more in process pictures so will show you some closeups of the finished tag.  I added a piece of corrugated cardboard binding from a Passport die cut that had some white gesso finger painted onto it and layered a fragment from a Honeycomb Frameworks die cut over top.  I layered some bits of random scrapbook papers from my stash behind the Honeycomb framework here and there.


Hearts die cut from a trashed tag and what looks to be Correspondence paper were then added along with a die cut metallic finish star and a layered 'cherish' word, cut with Tim Holtz's Handwritten Love die.  A small alcohol ink coloured star stud was adhered amongst the wildflower die cuts as well.

The edges of the Stitched Oval frame were sanded before adhering the Wildflower die cuts, think this is Coredinations Kraft Core paper?


And for a final touch I added the 'with love' chalkboard tag to the top along with a scrap of Distress ink stained Crinkle Ribbon.  I honestly have no clue where the chalkboard tag came from!


So that's my With Love 'tovers tag, not too bad for an amalgamation of bits and bobs!


Hope you will have a minute to pop over to A Vintage Journey to see what my fellow Creative Guides have made for this Tag Friday, it seems that many of us had the idea to use our leftovers to create our tags!  Thanks for stopping by today and if I don't get back here before New Year's Eve I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year and may 2017 bring peace, tolerance and understanding to us all and to our fragile planet.  Best wishes everyone and happy creating!

Deb xo

13 comments:

  1. What a wonderful 'leftover' tag Deb!! love that cabochon (glad you spelled it!), the fibers and layered pieces at the bottom - a beautiful design on your tag! Wishing you a Happy New Year! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tag Deb! How good it always feels to use a piece that was tossed aside back when. Of course it helps to have that great collection of bits and bobs that you had to choose from. Calling it a "tover" tag made me smile. Happy New Year Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a very clever way of using those left overs, - well done, - it;s a fabulous tag, beautifully put together!

    Have a great, happy and healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I wish I could take some left-overs and make a tag as beautiful as this Deb! I love that word 'tover', that's a new one to me. The whole tag is wonderful but I just love the little bee under the cabochon, it is very striking!

    Wishing you and yours a very Happy New Year! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even working with left overs you come up with an amazing project. I really like the look of the background and how awesome that you had so many pieces in your stash that coordinated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Deb, brilliant tag. I think I must do something in the new year with all the bits and bobs that I have collected otherwise I will need expanding wall Lol! Wishing a great New Year, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how you used the leftovers Deb. I particularly love the bee cabochon, very striking. Love the leftover elements you layered together. Happy New Year. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Deb, thank you for showing us how you put your tag together, you are very talented. It is a fabulous tag.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your silhouetted wildflowers, Deb, and that Bee cabochon is an absolute delight. Fabulous tag!
    Wishing you and yours a peaceful 2017.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Deb, you need to serve leftovers more frequently! I think this is a favorite of yours for me, but then I always say that (and mean it!). I love how you took us through your process of choosing bits to add, and what a lovely and perfectly designed tag that came together! Love it! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A fabulous mixture of leftovers Debs which you have combined into an awesome tag! The bee cabochon is wonderful!

    Wishing you a very happy, healthy and crafty 2017 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wonderful tag Deb made up of 'tovers'. A fine example that you should never throw anything away lol.
    Happy New Year x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving your leftovers tag Deb! I love the contrast of those amber tones against the pop of black and white. Wishing you a successful and creative New Year xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo