Thursday, December 8, 2016

More Christmas Cards - Weeks 3 and 4 At The Funkie Junkie

Hello, back again as promised with a couple of more Christmas cards that were inspired by Linda Coughlin's 12 Tags of Christmas Funkie Junkie Style challenge which is sponsored by her online store The Funkie Junkie Boutique.  Today's cards were inspired by Linda's week 3 and 4 tags, click the links above the pictures to see Linda's inspiring tags.





No step out photos of my cards as Linda has great tutorials on her blog but here are a few closeups and an explanation of what inspired me from her tags.

For week 3 I was obviously inspired by Linda's fabulous black and gold colour scheme (never would have thought to use that for Christmas but it is so striking!), the embossed music score background and her use of the birds and snowflakes.


I don't have any gold texture paste so instead used some Gloss Transparent Texture paste, sprinkled with gold embossing powder while it was wet, through the Tim Holtz Concerto stencil.  The paste was heat embossed after it had dried and it worked out well.


My card was wider than the layering stencil so I added a strip of Tidings Design Tape down each side and used a piece of gold ribbon from my stash as a perch for my birdie.  The snowflakes were die cut from black and gold foil scrapbook paper with the Mini Paper Snowflakes dies and the black snowflakes had a touch of gold foil added to them just as Linda had done on hers.  I added a dot of Platinum Stickles glitter glue in the centers of my layered snowflakes.

I don't have the Enchanted Doves die so stamped one of Dina Wakley's Scribbly Birds onto cardstock and fussy cut it.  The bird was embossed with gold embossing powder through the Mini Festive layering stencil.


And she's looking up at a sentiment created with the Tim Holtz Metallic Labels stickers and Metallic Holiday Talk stickers , in gold and black of course!


My Merry Poinsettias Christmas card was pretty much the same as Linda's tag, love the techniques she used!


The poinsettia Mixed Media Christmas die cut with the Holiday Deco sheet behind and the inset Deco sheet leaves was a brilliant idea and I copied it faithfully, the only thing I didn't do was add a coat of gesso to my white cardstock.


I did stencil some poinsettia's onto the rest of the cardstock background as Linda had done but mine mostly got covered up with my die cut poinsettias and the label.


The sentiment on my card is from a discontinued Crafty Secrets clear stamp set and I used a Spellbinders #8 Labels die to cut it out.


I used the same Barn Red and Aged Mahogany Distress ink coloured cardstock for the label that I had used for my poinsettias.  And I am agreeing with Linda that everything must be foiled this year, love the distressed lost and found edges you achieve with a glue stick and Deco Foil!

So that's weeks 3 and 4 cards done and dusted, week 5 is awaiting pictures and week 6 is in mid production.  I'm running out of time to get them completed before the challenge ends on December 19th so must run, there are cards to be made!  Will be back soon ;O)

Deb xo

8 comments:

  1. Love these cards Deb.Thanks for info' on how you made them!
    Judy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cards Deb you have captured the very essence of Christmas in them and yet they are so different, brilliant job xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The glamorous gold is fabulous, and I just love your holly-textured bird. The poinsettias look amazing... I especially like that little touch of watery splatter for detail.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both are very nice. I love the one with poinsettias.

    ReplyDelete
  5. both cards are gorgeous Deb but I love the poinsettia card. I bet you have thousands of dollars in craft stuff for all you make huh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love how you used the decosheets on the poinsettia and your beautiful bird! Great remakes, so lovely! Christmas hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the bird and music notes... Fab colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely done, Deb! I really love how you used the Dina Wakley birdie. She looks delightfully festive in her holly embossing. And your poinsettia card is gorgeous. Love all the red and the sentiment stamp you used. I hope you are enjoying the challenge so far!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo