Thursday, December 1, 2016

Season's Greetings Winter Wonderland Decoration

This is my first of three posts today, if you are looking for my Emerald Creek Dares post click here and for my A Vintage Journey post click here.

Hello and welcome, it's December 1st and that means it is time for another challenge over at Mixed Media Mojo.  This month our theme is Winter Holidays with the twist of adding Sparkle.


With the holidays soon to be upon us, I decided to make a Season's Greetings winter wonderland decoration that will be gifted to someone very special this Christmas (and no, I'm not going to give out any hints about who that might be LOL!).  For me, the perfect winter holiday is time spent in the mountains and forests of my beautiful home province of British Columbia so that is the scene that my mixed media plaque depicts.


I added lots of sparkle to my project with Deco sheets, Rock Candy Distress glitter and Iridescent Shimmer embossing powder and have some step by step photos of how I made it, enjoy!

I started out with a sheet of 110 lb cardstock and stenciled it with clear Distress embossing ink through the Speckles layering stencil and then embossed it with Iridescent Shimmer embossing powder.  The embossed card was then dragged through a pool of Blueprint Distress stain on my craft sheet and spritzed with water until I had the depth of night sky colour I was looking for.


I die cut two Tree Line dies from vintage advertising paper I had in my stash and layered then onto the background, popping up the foreground trees slightly with bits of black fun foam.  DecoArt Snow-Tex was applied to the bottom of the card with a palette knife and after it had dried, the snow and bottom edges of the trees were embossed with more Iridescent Shimmer embossing powder.

You can see the dimension of the trees in the picture below and I ended up adding another layer of sparkle to the base of the trees at the end with Distress Rock Candy Glitter.


Two Woodlands trees were die cut, one from silver Deco Sheet mounted onto some kraft cardstock and the second from black fun foam.  The two die cut trees were layered one atop the other.


The same silver Deco Sheet was coloured with some Mushroom alcohol ink and two sizes of Dimensional Stars were die cut from it.

The chipboard sentiment 'Season's Greetings' that I found at Michaels was simply covered with a coat of Iridescent Shimmer embossing powder.


And finally, a piece of corrugated cardboard packaging was cut out to be about 1/2" longer and wider than the embossed and Distress stained night sky cardstock.  The top layer of cardboard was torn off here and there to reveal the corrugations and I then finger painted it with DecoArt white acrylic gesso.  Once the gesso had dried the plaque was assembled.

The embossed and Distress stained night sky cardstock was adhered over top the gessoed corrugated cardstock and a sprinkling of Distress Rock Candy Distress glitter was added all around the edges of the exposed cardboard edge.  The silver Woodlands tree was adhered to the left side of the assembled plaque and the smaller of the two Dimensional Stars was added to the top of the tree.


A piece of silver Nordic motif satin ribbon was added along the bottom edge to anchor the tree and finish off the bottom edge.


The Season's Greetings sentiment was adhered to the background, centered over top of the Tree Line die cuts, and the larger of the two Dimensional Stars was adhered to the upper right corner.


And finally, a Small Easel was die cut from scrapbooking paper and adhered to the back of the corrugated cardboard for a stand.


Wish the sparkle and shimmer of this piece showed up better in the pictures, it's a true winter wonderland when seen in person!


Thanks so much for stopping by today to see my Season's Greetings Winter Wonderland decoration and hope that you have been inspired to enter our Winter Holidays with the twist of Sparkle challenge over at Mixed Media Mojo.  Make sure to pop by to see the other wonderful winter creations that my fellow design team members made to share with you and hope to see your sparkly creations over there too.  Happy creating!

Deb xo

6 comments:

  1. Such a gorgeous card Deb and I know what you mean about the camera not capturing the sparkle xx wonderful details and I am sure the recipient will treasure it xx
    Hugs Annie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful look with the trees die cut out of text papers Deb! Great texture with the torn cardboard background! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beauty! I especially love the two die cut tree lines together. And cut from texty paper is amazing looking. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this so much, Deb! Gosh, you're on a roll! The blues and newsprint push my buttons indeed. <3 Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  5. How pretty this is. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow - this ticks all the boxes for me - the dimension and layering and those fantastic book text trees - just brilliant!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo