Sunday, December 18, 2016

Week 7 and 8 Christmas Cards Inspired By The Funkie Junkie

Hello again everyone, back to share two more Christmas cards that were inspired by Linda Coughlin's (The Funkie Junkie) 12 Tags of Christmas Funkie Junkie Style.  Sadly I am not going to be able to finish all 12 of Linda's challenges as the final day to link up projects is tomorrow (I swear, some year I will actually finish them all on time Linda!) but I will continue to use her tags for inspiration to finish up my cards this year.  If you haven't seen Linda's tags, head on over for a peek, they are beautiful!  Someone much more organized than I is going to win Linda's very generous prize from her online store The Funkie Junkie Boutique and next year I hope to be in the running LOL!

Here are the cards I created for weeks 7 and 8 of Linda's challenge, click the link above the pictures to see the tags that inspired them.





My Reindeer Joy Christmas card was inspired by Linda's gorgeous blue, white and silver colour palette, the deer and those lovely layered snowflakes.


I used various shades of blue Distress inks on my background as I don't have any blue Distress paints other than Mermaid Lagoon and applied Ranger Sticky embossing powder through the Nordic, Snowflakes and Holiday Script layering stencils topped with silver Deco Foil in the background as well.


I die cut the Prancing Deer from white cardstock and white fun foam and layered them together. coating the deer with Clear Rock Candy Distress glitter for some sparkle.


One of Tim's Snowflake Adornments was embossed with silver embossing powder and tied around the deer's neck and I die cut the word JOY twice from some blue coloured card and white fun foam with the Typeset strip die, offsetting the foam underneath the blue letters so they looked 'snowy'.

The snowflakes were die cut from white cardstock with the Mini Paper Snowflakes dies.  The white snowflake was coated with Clear Rock Candy Distress glitter and the silver snowflakes coated with some vintage pure silver German glass glitter I've been hoarding in my stash, love how it is tarnishing!!


The top snowflakes were popped up with some pop dots for a bit more dimension and the blue background was edged with silver Deco Foil and a glue stick before mounting it onto a white cardstock card blank.

My Christmas Lantern card was influenced by Linda's red poinsettia background, her use of the gold Gilded Holidays Metallic Remnant Rubs and I substituted the Christmas Blueprint 5 lantern stamp for her Lampost die cut.


I puzzled how to replicate Linda's red poinsettia background and then thought to do a stencil monoprint using Tim's Poinsettia layering stencil.  I inked up the back of the stencil with Festive Berries Distress ink, spritzed it with water and then lay it down onto some white cardstock.


Still struggling to get those darn Metallic Remnant Rubs to transfer properly (as you can see on the gold stars!) but fortunately the JOY word transferred perfectly, whew!  The monoprint background was edged with a glue stick and gold Deco Foil (yes, everything is getting foiled this year!).

I stamped the lantern from Christmas Blueprints 5 onto Distress Mixed Media Heavystock, embossed it with Mercury Rising embossing powder from Emerald Creek Craft Supplies and watercoloured it with Weathered Wood and Hickory Smoke Distress inks.  The glass portion of the lantern was coloured with Squeezed Lemonade Distress stain and I added some silver gel pen here and there to the lantern.


Mini Holiday Greens die cut from green Distress ink coloured card were added around the fussy cut lantern and some red Stickles glitter glue added to the holly on top and some Festive Berries Distress paint to the berries.

I don't have any Crackle Accents glue so used Clear Rock Candy Distress Crackle paint on my lanterns 'glass' instead and accented the crackles with a touch of Frayed Burlap Distress ink once the crackle paint had done it's thing.


Some dabs of white gesso were added here and there for a few snowy accents.

This sentiment stamp is one I have had in my stash forever, think it is one of the first stamps that I ever purchased, but it seemed very appropriate to accompany the lantern image.


I stamped and embossed it with gold embossing powder, die cut the sentiment with a Labels #8 die by Spellbinders and edged it with Frayed Burlap Distress ink and more gold Deco Foil.  The sentiment and the lantern were popped up on some fun foam for dimension and the whole assembly mounted onto a kraft card blank.

So that's it for now, thanks again to Linda for her very generous and inspiring challenge and I hope to get at least a couple more Linda inspired cards finished before the big day that I can share with you all.  Thanks so much for stopping by today and as always happy creating!

Deb xo

9 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning work, Deb. I love that you were inspired by my samples but changed them up to make them your own. Love what you did for the backgrounds and you have designed them so beautifully with the focal points and the sentiments. I'm thrilled that you were able to play along even for a few of the weeks. Wishing you and your family a blessed Christmas.

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really great cards, Deb! I loved checking out all your details as you brought each to my attention. I peeked at your inspiration (great tags!) but these cards and their design are all you. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous tags Deb, I love them both xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are both awesome but my favorite is the one with the deer. I love the blue and silver color scheme

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great, Deb - super work on the shimmering blue and silver one, and I really love how you've adapted tag #8... your background is fabulous and the lantern looks just lovely with its crackled glass.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the cards are just stunning however thank you for using our Deco Foil on your beautiful Reindeer/Joy card! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Deb, I'm so sorry you didn't get them all done in time, but was so inspired by each and every card you've made. This lantern card is just the coolest! Great choice for your vintage image and what a perfect pair with the red background. Christmas hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love the lantern card, the way the light 'shines' is so clever and of course the red background is stunning. But, the blue and white card is just fabulous, so striking and the design is wonderful - love the layered snowflakes! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both are wonderful, but I LOVE the blue and white contrast with that deer...gorgeous. Merry Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo