Thursday, January 5, 2017

Winter Rounds Into Spring Mixed Media Plaque

Hello and thank you for stopping by.  It's time for a new challenge at A Vintage Journey and this month our challenge theme is Going Round In Circles.  Here is Brenda's brief:

Whether large or small, 2D or 3D, clock face embellishments, buttons, eyelets or created with paint pot lids, stamped, stenciled, doodled or finger painted, let's see what gets you going round in circles.  This challenge theme particularly fits with the art journaling style we love to see but can also be incorporated into a vintage, shabby, mixed media, industrial or steampunk project.

This month our generous sponsor is The Funkie Junkie Boutique and they are offering a $25.00 voucher to their online store for our lucky randomly chosen winner.

For my Going Round In Circles project I ended up making a mixed media home decor plaque that represents the perpetual circling of the seasons.  With Christmas and New Years behind us my thoughts are already turning to Spring and here is the piece that I created with that in mind.


I've a few step out photos of how I made it, enjoy!

I didn't have a clear idea of what I wanted to make when I started this project so I just pulled out anything vaguely circular in shape or design that I had in my stash to see what would spark my muse.  The first thing I did was die cut some circles with the Sizzix Circles Bigz die from Distress Mixed Media Heavystock and when I looked at the negative images left over from my die cuts an idea for some framed elements started to coalesce.


I cut the negative die cut to about 5 1/2" square and added matte texture paste through Tim Holtz's Flourish layering stencil here and there.  The floral circular patterns of the stencil made me think of Spring and that was when the idea for my final design came to me.

After the texture paste dried, the frame was sprayed with Antique Linen and Tea Dye Distress spray stains, drying in between each layer of spray.  The stenciled texture paste and edges of the frame were then emphasized with Frayed Burlap and Ground Espresso Distress ink.


Time to work on the circles themselves; two were stamped with the Rosette background stamp and Ground Espresso Archival ink, clear embossed and then coloured with Salty Ocean Distress ink.

Two more circles were coloured with Frayed Burlap DI and then run through the Postal Texture Fades embossing folder.  I tried to incorporate a bit of the circular Paris postal mark onto each circle and then enhanced the raised embossed areas and edges with more Frayed Burlap DI.


The Lace die from Tim's Mixed Media #2 set was die cut next and I punched out one of the circular floral motifs from the die cut with a 1 1/2" Fiskars punch.  The punched die cut was coloured with more Salty Ocean DI and then backed with a solid 1 1/2" punched circle coloured with Frayed Burlap DI.

Flower petals were die cut with the Tatttered Florals Bigz die from cardstock coloured with Salty Ocean, Stormy Sky and Broken China DI, stamped with a script stamp from my stash and Ground Espresso Archival ink and then the petals were spritzed with water, crinkled up and dried with a heat tool to form the flowers.


To back the frame, I cut a piece of corrugated cardboard packaging 6 1/2" x 6 1/2" square, tore off some of the top layer from the cardboard, finger painted it with gesso and then sprayed it with Antique Linen, Tea Dye and Salty Ocean Distress spray stains.

I felt I needed another layer beneath my circle frame, so I cut out a 6" x 6" piece of script scrapbook paper from Tim's Crowded Attic paper stash, distressed the edges and aged them with Frayed Burlap and  Ground Espresso DI and mounted it on top of the corrugated cardboard backing.


The two largest prepared circles where then adhered to the scrapbook paper, positioning them so they'd be visible through the circle frame.

The circle frame was mounted onto some black fun foam and positioned in place over the prepared background.  I did a bit more script stamping onto the circle frame with Tim's Ledger Script stamp to continue the script motif.  The smaller prepared circles were positioned inside each of the openings on the circle frame on black fun foam and the florals glued on top.


I added a flat back pearl into the center of each of the Tattered Florals flowers.




The sentiment (a proverb according to Internet sources) was printed out onto cardstock coloured with blue Distress inks, die cut with a Spellbinders Victorian Tags die and mounted onto more black fun foam.


I hope you've enjoyed seeing how I created my Winter Rounds Into Spring mixed media plaque and that you will be able to take a minute to stop by A Vintage Journey to see what my fellow Creative Guides have made to inspire you, they are wonderful as always!  Hope to see your circular creations linked up as well for our Going Round In Circles challenge this month, can't wait to see where your muse takes you!  Happy creating,

Deb xo

15 comments:

  1. Fantastic plaque. I'm always fascinated by all the steps that go into your projects

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous project!!! I love your chosen blues and browns - they are great together! The quote is just for me as I'm longing for the warmer weather :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful textures and colors on this lovely season placque Deb! The blue looks so pretty against the tans/browns and the stripped cardboard makes a great background for the layers! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great piece Deb, I love how you used the negative circles cut to bring life and dimension to your project. Beautifully designed and put together xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous Deb - gorgeous colours and great layering. A great going round in circles project !!! Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful Card, Debs, and a great way to showcase those circles . Love the colour combo and grungy feel .
    Great work .
    hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scrumptious texture from the stencilled flourishes and the dry-embossing, and of course I love your colour palette. Great details and finishing in each of your different circles - lovely!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love this Deb! The way you've created lots of varied yet coordinating circles then layered them, not just in piles but underlapping under the main panel is so clever! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous make Deb, love how you have interpreted the theme! The different embossing techniques add great textures, great effects on the different circles too and I love the colour theme you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this - all the fabulous layers and texture and embellishing. Just brilliant x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deb, what a treat it was to feel like I was a butterfly on your craft room wall, watching you create and seeing how this project came together in your mind. What a gorgeous outcome! I love the colors you chose and all the textures, visual and tactile. Wonderfully put together! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed reading about your thought processes behind this beautiful creation Deb. That circle die is one of the first I ever bought and you have used it to full advantage here. I love how you 'filled' the cut out circles, your colour choices are wonderful - I just love the whole piece! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a wonderful plaque Deb and love the little "show and tell". So awesome.
    I have a masculine card to make today...so this was lovely inspiration! ;-)
    Wishing you a fabulous 2017 and hoping that you are blessed, healthy, happy and creative! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just love this Deb, the textures and colors are so beautiful. S@ndy xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo