Thursday, February 16, 2017

Love Is All You Need Valentine

Hello and thanks for stopping by.  We are Rocking The Red at Emerald Creek Dares this month and for my challenge contribution I decided to make this Valentine's Day card for my hubby.


Have to admit this challenge was a bit of a struggle for me, I don't use red very often and was having a heck of a time deciding what I was going to make until my eyes fell upon Emerald Creek's wonderful Cardinal stamp, nothing redder than a male cardinal!

Emerald Creek Craft Supplies used:


I've a few step out photos of how I made it, hope you will enjoy seeing them.

The new Chrysanthemum stamp was stamped 4 times onto white cardstock with Festive Berries Distress ink.  Think I was channeling my inner Andy Warhol!


The flourish die from Mixed Media #2 was die cut into the top right corner and backed with a piece of red cardstock.

The cardinal was stamped in Jet Black Archival ink onto Distress Mixed Media Heavystock , clear embossed and then coloured with Red Mahogany, Barn Red and Festive Berries Distress inks and a water brush.  Accents of Candy Red embossing powder were added to his crest, wing and tail coverts.  A heart was die cut with the Wings & Heart Movers & Shapers die from a scrap of paper from my stash and adhered in the cardinal's beak.


A tag was die cut with a Tag Collection Framelits die, coloured with multiple colours of brown Distress inks and then clear embossed with some hearts stenciled on with Southern Ridge's Heart stencil.  The sentiment from the Fiskars Love Simple Stick stamp set was stamped with Black Soot Distress Archival ink and clear embossed again.

A branch was die cut from kraft cardstock with the Bigz Bird Branch die and coloured with Ground Espresso Distress ink.


Three flowers were stamped onto Distress Mixed Media Heavystock with the Daisy stamp, embossed with Candy Red embossing powder and watercoloured with Barn Red Distress marker and Ground Espresso Distress ink.

A couple of Filigree Leaf charms were coloured with Ginger and Mushroom alcohol inks and then half of each leaf was embossed with Weathered Wood embossing powder.


A Believe Buckle Connector charm was coloured with Mushroom alcohol ink and slid onto a length of red and white Baker's twine.

The Believe charm was adhered into place with E6000 glue and the Baker's twine affixed onto the back before adhering the background onto a piece of black corrugated card.


The cardinal was mounted onto some black fun foam and positioned on top of the branch.


The tag was added to the right side of the card and one of the daisies was adhered overtop the hole in the top of the tag.


And finally, the Filigree leaves were adhered with E6000 glue to the left side of the card and another of the stamped and embossed daisies was glued over top of them.


In the end, I had a lot of fun Rocking The Red!  My hubby really liked the Valentine's Day card I made for him too which made my day :O)


Hope that you have been inspired to break out your red craft supplies and that you will enter our Rock The Red challenge, you have a chance to win a very generous gift certificate to Emerald Creek Craft Supplies online store and you will receive 10% off your next order at Emerald Creek just for entering the challenge!



I'd like to link my Love Is All You Need card with the following challenges:

Simon Says Stamp's Monday Challenge blog's 'Use Your Favourite Tool' challenge.  I've used two of my favourites here, my Big Shot for the die cuts and Distress Inks, I can't create without them!

Creative Carte Blanche 'Love Is In The Air' February challenge.  The cardinal on my Love Is All You Need card ties in the air reference rather nicely!

Thanks so much for stopping by today and make sure to pop by Emerald Creek Dares to see what my teammates have made to inspire you, happy creating everyone!

Deb xo

P.S.  I've gone back to my 'usual' way of sharing my tutorials as most folks commented on my last tutorial post that they like to read about how I do each step so thank you all for the feedback, much appreciated! xo

11 comments:

  1. Amazing as always Deb!! I love that you used the cardinal for a Valentine. Your inner Andy Warhol is spot on...love that technique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely fabulous card! You are seriously rockin' the red! Oodles of interest as well as the gorgeous cardinal! I really enjoyed your tutorial, thank you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb this is gorgeous, so many fabulous techniques her. I love how you've stamped the background 4 times. I have some of these mixed media dies, but have never really know how to use them, so now I will go away and play with them. Have a fun week xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great card. Cardinals are my favorite so I really likr that

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow love this card Deb! All of the elements you've used to create this card is amazing! Love the use of the flower stamp in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card and gorgeous detail. Happy crafty weekend, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely rocking the red! What a fabulous card and cardinal!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliantly conceived and created, love your use of the reds. Have a great weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. For me too red is a color not easy to use! You used it in a wonderful way, love so much the whole design of your card! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, Deb I think you did a fantastic job with red! Your cardinal is beautiful and the embossing is fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing with us this week at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge! hugs, Maura

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo