Thursday, March 16, 2017

Dwell In Possibility

Hello and thank you for stopping by.  Today I have a project to share with you that I made for part 2 of our current challenge at Emerald Creek Dares, 'Splatter Some Fun'! This month, Kim has dared us to let loose and get messy and to splatter paint, powders, ink, coffee, tea, pastes or whatever you can think to splatter!

I took on Kim's challenge and for my Dwell In Possibility mixed media panel I splattered ink, paint, water and embossing powders and here is what I ended up creating.


Emerald Creek Craft Supplies used:

I've a few step out photos on how I made it, enjoy!

I started out with a piece of 110 lb. white cardstock and smooshed it with Antique Linen Distress Spray stain spritzed onto a stamping block and then I smashed my Old Paper and Bundled Sage Distress Stain daubers directly onto the card for those lovely splatters.


After doing a bit of background stamping with Ground Espresso Distress Archival ink and a script stamp from my stash, more spatters and splatters were added to the background with diluted Cool White and Dark Chocolate Americana acrylic paint.

The background was sealed with Distress Matte Collage Medium and once dried, I splattered on some droplets of water and then poured clear UTEE (Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel) over top.  The water droplets held onto the UTEE crystals long enough for me to melt them from the back side of the paper.  Melting the UTEE from the back of the paper keeps the crystals from blowing away as you heat them, just be careful you don't burn the paper (ask me how I know this!!).


Next I grabbed a piece of background paper I had left over from another project (if you want to know how I made the background paper, click here) and I stamped Emerald Creek's Oak Tree stamp with Ground Espresso Distress Archival ink.  The foliage on the tree was splattered with water and sprinkled with Northern Lights embossing powder and heated from behind to melt it as with the UTEE.  Next the bottom of the tree was splattered with more water and Burnt Copper Leaves embossing powder and heated again.  The image was roughly torn out to reveal the white edges.

A small tag was die cut with Tim Holtz's Tag Collection dies from Distress Mixed Media Heavystock and coloured with multiple shades of green Distress Stains and more water splattered onto the water reactive inks.  That lovely sentiment from Dina Wakley's Scribbly Bird set was stamped with Black Soot Distress Archival ink and clear embossed.


A copper coloured Heart brad from Emerald Creek was embossed with Burnt Copper Leaves embossing powder and attached through the hole on the stamped tag.

And then the panel was assembled.  A piece of black corrugated cardstock was cut about 3/4" larger on all sides than the splattered background panel and the edges lightly sanded to reveal the white core.  A piece of script scrapbook paper was cut about 1/4" smaller on all sides than the corrugated cardstock and adhered over top.  The prepared splattered panel was then centered and glued on top.  One of Tim Holt'z new Quote Chips was lightly coloured with Old Paper Distress ink and edged with Frayed Burlap Distress ink and glued to the top.


The stamped and splatter embossed tree was adhered to the background panel and a couple of pieces of raffia wound around the bottom to anchor the tree image to the panel.


A wee little robin from Tim Holtz's Botanical Layers ephemera pack was perched on top of the stamped tag and the tag was adhered over top of the raffia.


I love the effect of the melted clear UTEE splattered over the background, looks like tiny drops of water are clinging to the page, perhaps a Spring rain shower that just passed through?


I hope that you have enjoyed seeing how I put my splattered Dwell In Possibility mixed media panel together, thanks Kim for a fun dare!


I'd like to enter my Dwell In Possibility mixed media panel into the March Make It Take It Challenge at Craft Stamper Magazine.

I hope that you will join in our Splatter Some Fun challenge this month, you have an opportunity to win a $50.00 gift certificate to Emerald Creek's online store


and as well you will receive 10% off your next order from Emerald Creek just for participating!


Make sure to stop by Emerald Creek Dares to see what my team mates have created to inspire you and can't wait to see what you link up, happy splattering and creating!

Deb xo

10 comments:

  1. Absolutely love this creation Deb!! Love how you did the splatters with the clear UTEE!! I will have to try that using water trick...I learn from you all the time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved watching you make this panel, Deb. Look at what awesome splatters those Distress Stain daubers make! I hadn't thought about such a variety of supplies one can spatter with. Your panel looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh - what great creativity around such a wonderful inspirational quote. I love bird songs! Makes me smile to see your singing bird and lovely tree Deb and then dwell on the possibility of a singing bird in my heart!!! Great way to start my day - LOVELY project - thank you!! Xj.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic project. Love the splattered background.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of fabulous splattering Deb and a great finished card. Have a great weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great splattering, and I really love the earthy natural colour tones here, and how you tore roughly around the tree to create such an effective frame for that gorgeous tree. Fab words too!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful panel project Deb! Fab tutorial! I had to chuckle at the "ask me how I know part". Love all your layering and spring shower effect with the Utee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Deb, lovely card idea and gorgeous background. Happy crafty weekend, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your design, Deb, and the UTEE splattering is awesome! Love the little birdie and your quotes! Perfect for a spring day! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo