Thursday, March 23, 2017

Playing With Infusions

I got some happy mail today, a parcel filled with Paper Artsy Infusions!  Have you seen or used these amazing waterbased colour stains?


They are granules that you shake out onto your paper and spritz with water and then watch the magic happen.  They have walnut crystals in them as well as the dye pigments and the reactions that occur are fabulous and totally unpredictable, I love it!  After making some colour swatches I decided to play and here are a few of my experiments.

First of all, I tried a technique I'd seen on YouTube by Kim Dellow where she stamped an image with embossing ink and then sprinkled it with the Infusions, click here to watch Kim's video.  I grabbed one of Dina Wakley's Scribbly Bird stamps and stamped it onto Distress Mixed Media Heavystock with embossing ink, sprinkled the image with Sleight Blue Infusions, spritzed with water and watched the magic happen.


Adore!  This wee guy will be making an appearance on a future project I am sure.

Next I tried Kim's technique (same video) of embossing ink through a stencil but this one was an epic fail for me, used WAY too much water and totally lost my stenciled image but I still love the background, look at that play of colours!


Think I used In The Navy, Olive Tree and Golden Sands Infusions on this one.

Okay, onwards and upwards, this time I didn't use any embossing powder and simply sprinkled the Infusions through StencilGirl's Black Birds In Trees stencil onto the smooth side of Arches 140 lb cold press watercolour paper.  I used In The Navy and Rusty Car Infusions and spritzed with water while the stencil was still in place, letting the Infusions do their thing before carefully removing the stencil.


OMG, I am in love!  And as an added bonus I then made a stencil monoprint with the water activated Infusions that were still on the stencil, I just grabbed a piece of cheap 110 lb white cardstock and pressed the stencil down onto it.


The colours are just amazing, this was only the two Infusion colours (In The Navy and Rusty Car) but look at all of the pigments that are revealed in this monoprint.

That was the extent of my play today, I'll be doing more experimenting but just wanted to share my results with you in case you've been contemplating getting these Infusions.  I heartily endorse them (and no I'm not getting paid to say that ;O) and am so glad I decided to purchase them.  If you have used them or decide to give them a try let me know so I can come take a look at what you've created.  Thanks as always for stopping by today and hope you can pop back tomorrow when I'll have a new project for Southern Ridge Trading Company.  Hope to see you then and happy creating!

Deb xo

11 comments:

  1. Your playful experiments look awesome! I think your play with these is going to be quite contagious. I love your color swatches too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your playtime experiments are gorgeous Deb, the colours and effects are fabulous. I have them and love having a go with them and also mixing them with other watercolour powders I have. Looking forward to seeing what you do next with them xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous samples Deb, great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of these but how cool. Looks like you had a lot of fun playing and experimenting. I like the one through the stencil and love the monoprint you did after

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have pretty epic fails every time I use the Infusions but I will try your techniques and see how I get on now! Love that first one and the monoprint is fabulous! I can certainly see why you like the Infusions so much. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! These Infusions are neat! I've never seen them before but I really like what you're showing on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to smile when I see these, they are slightly different to Brushos but behave in a similar way. When the Brushos suddenly became popular and people were talking about them as though they were something new I had to keep my mouth shut as I had been using them in my teaching with children for about twenty years. They are a very versatile product with lots of uses. Love how you've played with them here. You might find an embossing paste more reliable than embossing ink. Thanks for sharing this with us and look forward to seeing what else you get up to, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  8. love both the infusions (have lots of them) and the stencil (one of my favourites) - great experiments

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow from me as well! Need to have a go myself. Live what you have done. Thanks for sharing! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay - a really happy post full of your excitement playing with the Infusions... and some fabulous results too. Love those birds - what sensational colour mixes.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, they all turned out great!! Lovely ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo