Saturday, April 15, 2017

Create Art Mixed Media Techniques Midori Style Journal For Eileen Hull

Hello and thank you for stopping by.  I am very excited to share with you a journal that I made with Eileen Hull's brand new Scoreboards XL Journal die!  I was thrilled and honoured when Eileen contacted me to ask if I'd make a journal for the launch of her new Sizzix HeARTfelt line of dies and I of course jumped at the chance.  She kindly sent me the matte board die cuts for her new Journal and here is what I created with them.


I absolutely ADORE this die and can't wait to get my hands on it, it is apparently being shipped now by Sizzix so should be available to all of us soon, woo-hoo!  Eileen has been sharing the journals made by her very talented design team on her blog this month so make sure you pop over to take a peek at all of the eye candy.

I don't have any step out photos I'm afraid as it was one of those projects that started out in fits and starts and then took off at warp speed and I totally neglected to take any pictures.  So I'll share some close ups with you and explain what I did and hopefully you will get the gist.  I'll warn you in advance though that there are a lot of steps and pictures so grab a cup of your favourite beverage before heading in!

I decided to make a mixed media techniques journal in a midori style so that I could easily remove the signatures as I worked on the techniques and then replace them with another blank signature as I filled them up.  This Journal die cut already comes with three sets of pre-punched holes for adding three signatures (although you could easily expand it if need be) so three signatures it was.  Since I would be working with lots of paint and inks, I created my signatures from Arches 140 lb cold press watercolour paper, Canson mixed media paper and then I also added some copy paper, digital scrapbook papers and some recycled newsprint packing paper for journaling and doodling.


I also added some pocket pages (like the ruler stenciled page in the picture above) so I could tuck tags, cards and ATC's into it for techniques that weren't conducive to being worked on in the signatures themselves.  I sewed the signatures together with a pamphlet stitch and some heavy weight button thread and then it was onto the covers.

I painted both the front and back covers inside and out with a wash of diluted Cobalt Teal Hue DecoArt Media fluid acrylic paint and then randomly stamped with Tim Holtz's Etcetera stamps and Vintage Photo Archival Distress ink;


and stenciled with Stencil Girl Products Scribble Scratch Handwriting stencil and Titanium White Media fluid acrylic paint and Tim Holtz's Burlap layering stencil and Ranger Opaque Texture paste.


Both covers were sealed with Distress Vintage Collage medium and then the stenciled Burlap texture was coloured with Frayed Burlap (what else?!) Distress crayon and a touch of Walnut Stain.

For the front cover, Eileen Hull's Embroidery Hoop die was cut from some recycled packaging and embossed with Emerald Creek Craft Supplies Weathered Wood and Hammered Metal embossing powders.  Tim Holtz's Globe die was cut from green Classic Craft Stock, sanded to reveal some of the kraft core and then adhered beneath the embroidery hoop, it was a perfect fit!


The words 'lifetime adventure' - since that's what our creative endeavours are! - were die cut with Tim Holtz's Handwritten Journey dies from more Classic Craft Stock, mounted onto die cut black fun foam for dimension and gently sanded.

Ephemera from Tim Holtz's Emporium Ephemera pack was adhered to the bottom half of the front cover with Distress Matte Collage medium and shaded with Ground Espresso Distress crayon.


The 'create art' Quote Chip was aged with Old Paper and Frayed Burlap Distress crayon and adhered over the ephemera and the word 'everyday' die cut with the Handwritten Journey dies in the same manner as previously described.

On to the back cover!


Tim Holtz's Compass Blueprint die and stamp set was watercoloured with several shades of blue Distress inks, adhered onto the back cover with Distress Matte Collage medium and the edges shaded with Ground Espresso Distress crayon.


The word 'discover' was spelled out with Alpha Tiles,


and I added my initials to the bottom with Transparent Alpha Tiles.


I knew that this journal was probably going to get VERY fat as I worked in it, so I cut off the ends of two of the adjustable latches that are also die cut with this die and adhered them together to form an extra long closure.  The latch was painted with Frayed Burlap Distress paint and then adhered to the back cover with a Number Brad.


A length of Distress ink coloured Crinkle Ribbon was tied to the other end of the latch and three charms pinned onto the ribbon with a Loop pin.  The Philosophy Tag and the Typed Token were coloured with Mushroom, Latte and Rust alcohol inks and the four leaf clover charm from the Souvenir Adornments Charms set was coloured with Lettuce and Clover alcohol inks.  The writing on the two tags was emphasized with Picket Fence Distress crayon once the alcohol inks had thoroughly dried.

Before adhering the two covers together, I added a Custom Fastener with another length of Crinkle Ribbon through the middle hole pre-punched into the journal cover so the journal could be tied closed.


Three lengths of elastic cord were tied together on the inside of the journal cover so the signatures could be easily slipped in and out.


To this point I've only embellished the inside of the front cover and one technique page so not too many more photos for you to suffer through!  I added a gusseted pocket to the bottom of the front cover for tags and journal cards, stenciling it with the Ornate layering stencil and Distress inks and then stamping it with the Noble Gent stamp set and Black Soot Archival ink and clear embossing.


The panel at the top of the page was created with Paper Artsy Infusions (believe this was Sleight Blue?) and then stamping it with stamps from the Dapper and Noble Gent sets with Black Soot Archival and clear embossing.  A Quotations Metallic Sticker was added that echoed the 'create art' sentiment on the front cover.


Eileen Hull's Recipe Card & Label die makes the perfect sized journal cards!  I die cut them from some scrapbook paper in my stash (sorry, no idea where it came from!) and stamped journal lines on the back with a Wendy Vecchi Fun With Art stamp.


The tag was die cut with Tim Holtz's Tag Collection die and stamped with Noble Gent stamps and Hickory Smoke Archival ink.  A piece of Linen Ribbon was added to the top of the tag and I've recorded the inks, stamps and techniques I've used on this first page on the reverse for future reference.

Last but not least, I made my first techniques page to record several mixed media faux metallic effects.  Tim Holtz's new Pipeline die seemed an appropriate surface to demonstrate them on!  And I broke out my new Distress Oxides for the first time for the background on this page, can't begin to tell you how much I love them.


I gessoed the page first and then added Iced Spruce and Faded Jeans Distress Oxide along with spritzes, flicks and sprays of water.  The tag was a mop up of the same colours.  Pictures don't begin to do this dye/pigment ink justice, it is quite amazing in real life and the chalky texture is swoon worthy!

The Pipeline die was cut from some medium weight chipboard and then each segment was treated to a different faux metallic technique.  I used Shelly Hickcox's tarnished silver technique and a technique Nicole Wright just shared on Instagram using Distress crayons overtop of Emerald Creek's Hammered Metal embosssing powder.  I then experimented with Distress crayons overtop of Emerald Creek's Burnt Copper Leaves embossing powder for a faux copper patina and tried acrylic paints in several colours pounced overtop of black gesso to simulate a faux rust.


The tag (stamped with the Dapper stamp) has all of the techniques I used, products and designers listed on the back for quick and easy reference in the future.  I plan to do the same with all of the subsequent technique pages I create so inspiration will always be available right at my finger tips.


Thank you so much for stopping by to take a look at my journal and thank you again to Eileen Hull for asking me to take part in the launch of her fabulous new HeARTfelt Journal die!


And as a very special added bonus, my journal and all of the journals created by the talented designers participating in Eileen's launch, will soon be compiled into an ebook from Bella Crafts Publishing.  It will be an amazing compilation of all the varied ways that you can use this wonderful die so stay tuned for the details, rumor has it it may be coming out in May.  Have a wonderful Easter weekend everyone, hope the Easter bunny brings you lots of goodies and as always, happy creating!

Deb xo

12 comments:

  1. Lovely Deb, love the vintage stamping and pockets and tags and the Die cut hoop on the front is fabulous. Have a lovely weekend. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must take my jaw off the floor! This journal is so. darn. amazing! Every page is an adventure- thank you so much for joining on our Journal journey Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My jaw is down there with Eileen's!!!! Deb this is MAGNIFICENT! LOVE the idea of using it to record your creative journeys and that's a fantastic array of papers you've used for the signatures. And then, that cover, oh that cover! LOVE every clever layered inch of it, and who knew? Globe in embroidery hoop! Genius - LOVE it!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Deb this is utterly gorgeous, the covers, the pages, the fabulous stamping and tags - you've really gone to town on this amazing journal. Loveeeee it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy smokes this is fantastic. What a great journal this is

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Deb, loving the journal. I have to apologise, it's ages since I've been here to see you. I don't know where the times gone. Have a lovely Easter and happy crafting, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love, love, love what you did with Eileen's die cuts Deb, your journal is stunning, inside and out!!! The embroidery hoop looks amazing, I love the background colours and the stencilling adds such lovely texture! LOVE !!! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous journal, Deb! What a labor of love! The details are amazing! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is stunning Deb, so much to see and full of beautiful details. I love it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhhh WOW this is an awesome journal Deb! Your cover is outstanding and the pipes are the bomb! Thank you for the shout out :) I love embossing and scribbling right over it! What a fabulous submission for the new E-BOOK!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - a completely brilliant journal, inside and out, Deb. I love the collaging and the fabulously textured die-cuts on the cover, and the stamping inside is so cool. Brilliant tarnished silver on the pipes - have to check out Shelly and Nicole's ideas too. Wonderful work with Eileen's fantastic die.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo